“Great place to stop on way through SLC”

Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stopped for one night on our way through SLC. This hotel has large rooms with great views and great customer service. The room was very comfortable, and the hotel looked recently remoldeled. They have a Starbucks in the lobby and a large restaraunt.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the city
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave C
Jeff N, Director of Sales at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Dave C,

Thank you for the comments and I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay! Please return again soon!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hi,

I was recently at the Sheraton hotel in Salt Lake for business. The hotel is dated, but trying to hold on. I had a ground floor room facing the pool. It was ok, but I just didn't feel secure being on the ground floor with sliding glass doors.
My biggest concern about the place was the bathroom. The place is dated, so you're looking at taking a shower in a bathtub with a curtain. The tub, quite frankly, is dangerous. The tub is old and at some time the enamel was painted over. As you can imagine, the paint is peeling off.
The main issue is that the floor of the tub is slippery and one could easily fall, especially once the water was running. Also, the bottom of the tub is concave, not flat, increasing a perilous shower!
Not good nor safe, and at least put a rubber mat on the floor so no one gets hurt!

Room Tip: probably the high rise portion of the hotel.

Dear FBINA,

You may be interested to know that we have refinished all our bathtubs this month! This will greatly enhance the bathrooms!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Poor customer service even for Platinum members.
Don't participate in many Starwood promotions.
Terrible food on site.
Poor service at the hotel bar. It feels like they are doing you a favor by getting your order.
And the worst.......they have fluorescent lights in the rooms. How does one relax in that ambiance. Being green is great.....but one doesn't have to jeopardize the feel to achieve that. I have heard other guests complain about this and not stay here on just that basis. Wonder if the management is aware of something that small that can be deterring guests.
I personally stay at the much nicer and equally priced Monaco.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sleepless_Travelers

Dear Sleepless_Travelers,

Thank you for the feedback and I apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay. It is very important to us that you experience great customer service, enjoy our restaurants, and value our rooms. We are always looking for ways to improve and we will keep your comments in mind.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This time was for a solo business trip, no kids this time. I am a starwood member, so I picked a Sheraton, as there was no Westin Hotel in Salt Lake. I was put into a nice room on the 8th floor, which was very clean (and perhaps recently renovated, given some of the comments from other reviewers). The air-freshener used in their hallways was kind of strange though - which one of my colleagues also commented on.

The hotel is only about 10-15 minutes from the airport, and about a 15 minute walk to the Salt Palace convention center, where I spent most of my time. There's a convenient Starbucks in the hotel, and a McDonald's across the street. I ended up going out of my way to get breakfast at Eva's bakery, at 155 S Main St, for some excellent croissants and coffee. Eva's bakery also had a great lunch atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Jeff N, Director of Sales at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear NYC_family_of_four,

Thank you for the review and comments on our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed our great downtown location. We appreciate hearing from our guests and I appreciate your loyalty to Starwood Hotels.

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

So once again you have outdone yourselves. I made the mistake of waiting until last minute to book my room so i was stuck in what i would call a less desirable room. But hey you win some and lose some right? The room itself looks like it was pretty used and abused but it was still an awesome room. I had the pleasure of checking in with Justin at the front desk, now i gotta say i thought because i stay there so much he just reconized me and treated me like a vip, but then i realized he was like that with the two guests in front of me. I was kind of bummed because i thought i was special.. Just kidding, i have to say out of all my interactions at this hotel Justin clearly stands out when it comes to the level of service he brings as well as making people happy. Ive never had a bad experience when dealing with him.
Now i went to the starbucks and ever since they renovated the level of service has become spectacular, cindy, mary and ashley are just a pleasure everytime i walk in.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Micheal M

Dear Micheal M,

Thanks for the great comments on our staff. We love hearing our guest stories! Justin and the entire staff in Starbucks will surely appreciate these kind words!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I checked in at 8pm after traveling all day. I was given a room facing the main road, the sliding door didn't close all the way making the room very loud. I called to the front desk and asked for another room, I was offered one with a courtyard view. I was so tired when I finally got to the room that I unpacked and got ready for bed, when pulled back the covers the bed looked like it had been slept in and the sheets were dirty. I called to guest services And asked for housekeeping to change the sheets, which they did...I ended up having to help!

The next morning when I was getting ready housekeeping knocked about 8:00am as they were unlocking the door, no waiting for a response.

Oh, and my courtyard view was a brick wall, my balcony was on the roof of the second floor. I was literally in a big brick ashtray with all the cigarette butts around.

The worst part is I sent an email to Terry Mariano, who the front desk said was the hotel manager, during my stay and,never received a response.

Room Tip: Avoid the brick wall of 311 and the broken door of 326
1  Thank Ldenta

Dear Ldenta,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry the room you needed a change of sheets and for the staff that didn't follow our proper procedures. This certainly is not up to our Sheraton standards. I have given your comments to our Housekeeping department. They welcome and appreciate the feedback as they work to continuously improve their service levels.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Arriving at 1030 at night I didn't expect much for parking so I wasn't going to hold it against them especially since the girl at the front desk was nice and got us taken care of very quickly. Room was blazing hot, I'd guess 90 degrees. Opened the deck door and turned the thermostat to 60 and it was fixed within a few minutes. The couple bad things I noticed right off the bat- bathroom didn't have a fan (I use the bathroom fan especially to drown out the noises discussed in a second) and the doors you use to actually enter your room are so close to then neighboring door they could share the same hinge. When our neighbor came back about midnight or 1 am the door slammed so hard it felt like it shook our room.

Whatever, it was late. Not going to base everything off that. We go out for our day to a ballgame and come back to park the car and notice the parking lot is absolutely full. Apparently the hotel is connected to the convention center and there was some quinceanera or other huge party going on so we literally had to park a block away. I paid 90 bucks a night to stay here and that's what I get as far as parking goes. There were valet slots but they had cones around them and all blocked off- and I didn't see any valets around, period. The lot on the other side of the hotel had signs saying "guest parking, by permit only". We never received a permit and I wasn't going to take my chances on getting towed.

Once we parked and hiked to our room we found our door left partially open by the maids. Not like open open, but open as you'd leave it if you were going to the ice machine real quick. Nothing was missing, but still- a laptop and a lot of clothes were in there. Room was clean and everything, but the door was just open.

Also, as nice as the actual rooms were- the only power outlets were in the bathroom making it fairly difficult to use your cell phone as an alarm even though there was an old alarm clock on the desk. The tub's base flexed a little bit and if I wasn't 30 years old and had my balance... its flexiness could have been an issue. I don't know. I've stayed at many Sheraton hotels and usually have nothing but good things to say- the little things just made it less than desirable. I'll definitely be back in SLC, but unless this one is really cheap I'll probably stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean T
Jeff N, Director of Sales at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Sean T,

Thank you for the comments. Our guests love the complimentary parking we provide in downtown Salt Lake City and I can assure you that the lot on the opposite side of the hotel is for guests even though we didn't provide a permit. Your feedback is important as we are considering ways to improve the parking situation while simultaneously hosting larger events.

I am concerned to hear that your door was left partially open as this certainly is unusual for our staff. I will use your comments as a important reminder to double check all doors when servicing a room.