“small room, unmemorable”

Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Portland, Oregon
“small room, unmemorable”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The room was quite small, the king sized bed basically took up the entire room, with just enough space to walk around it. The location was moderately good for being in downtown salt lake city, however personally I would prefer something more tucked away and off the hustle and bustle of the grid system streets. It was fine for one night, but unfortunately I don't think we will be back. My boyfriend said the bar and service was good and enjoyed himself there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff N, Director of Sales at Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear generalfish,

Thank you for your comments and I apologize that you didn't enjoy your room. We have many different room types and I'm confident we have one that you would fit your preferences. Please contact me when you would like to stay with us again and I'll be happy to help provide you with these options.

Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This doesn't strike me as a four star hotel. It's a bit shabby, despite some newer furnishings. The rooms are fairly spacious, and I like the open patio/balcony, which allows you to get some fresh air. Parking is easy, especially for a downtown location, and free. The location is within walking distance to Temple Square, shopping, and great restaurants.

My biggest complaint it that the hotel is noisy. If there weren't people shouting in the hallway, they were apparently doing acrobatics in the room above. The rooms are not well designed for peace and quiet. We turned the clock radio on static for white noise, and that masked the noise pretty well when we were trying to sleep.

The rate was quite reasonable, and overall, this hotel is a great value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Azura1001,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed our rooms and our terrific downtown location.

I apologize for these noise issues and there are certainly ways we could have helped provide a peaceful and quiet stay. Please contact me when you travel to Salt Lake City again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 19, 2013

If you can get a good rate on this hotel, it is worth it. I was working at the airport for the week, but wanted to stay closer to downtown. Small rooms, but clean. There's not much in walking distance as far as food goes, so you would need a car. The best features of this hotel for me were the airport shuttle that left every 30 minutes and the free parking. It was nice to have a Starbucks in the lobby as well. Of course, internet in your room isn't free, but I was expecting that. More just an annoyance than anything else. My only complaints were that the elliptical machines in the gym didn't have working tvs, even though they had the set up for tv in the machine (one had the headphone jack ripped out, one just had a blurry static picture) other wise the gym was nice. Also the coffee filter pack supplied for the coffee maker in the room didn't fit in the coffee maker.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear kbn523,

I appreciate your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the use of our complimentary airport shuttle. Thank you for the feedback on the internet and elliptical machines. These comments are important to us.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. Front desk staff makes you feel welcome. Shuttle service provided. Gift shop and resturants available on property. This property is one block from main street. Much to see and do. 5 block from the mormon temple. Much to do within walking distance. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear ureyes,

Thank you for the very nice comments on our hotel and staff. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and I'll be sure to share these compliments with our team.

Madison, WI
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We booked the Sheraton in Downtown Salt Lake just for one night at the end of our ski trip to Park City. Despite a few negative reviews, we booked anyway and were very happy with our choice, especially based on the price (under $100 for a night!).
We had to check out of our Park City hotel at 10 a.m., so we thought we'd make use of our time to do some touristy stuff in SLC. I called the Sheraton ahead of time to ask if we could store our luggage and ski equipment since check-in wasn't until 3pm. They said, "Of course." Not only were we able to check-in to the Sheraton (just by chance they had a room available already!) early at 10:30 a.m., they had a Starbucks on site and the lobby of the hotel is really open and nicely designed.
The hotel room layout seems a little labyrinth-esque, but we had room 208, which faced the courtyard and was pleasantly decorated. The bath tub is a little worn, but the bedding is nice and the room had (again!) Starbucks coffee for the morning.
I wish I could remember the names of the desk clerks who helped us (one told us he was a die-hard Packers fan...we're from Wisconsin; the other helped us print our boarding passes for our flight the next day), but they were VERY nice and accommodating!
We didn't care about the Wi-Fi not being free in the rooms (we didn't have our computers, so no biggie), but I know some reviewers have complained. You can get free Wi-Fi in the lobby and they also have printers and computers for guests to use.
The Sheraton is about 4 city blocks from the Mormon Temple and City Creek mall and about 2 blocks from some good tourist-y restaurants. We ate at Squatters, but our driver told us that his favorite is Valter's for Italian food..FYI!
I read some other reviews that complained about homeless people...yes, they sort of line the main drag and some busk; others just ask for money, but no one was rude. One girl rode by on her bike even asking for change, but, I guess it's the SLC downtown way. Never did we feel unsafe; it just felt like a bigger city does in general.
Overall, I would recommend the Sheraton for even longer stays if you are going to and from the ski resorts--there are a few ski dealers close by and the Sheraton is just a bit off the highway, so easy access. The best thing: FREE shuttle to the airport starting at 5 a.m.!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the courtyard seem nice and quiet. Maybe ask for a room away from the pool area if i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear MadTownMama40,

Thank you for the nice review of this hotel and its staff. We work hard to provide personalized customer service and I'm glad to know that you had a great experience overall, especially when you arrived and when you asked for dining recommendations. Please return again soon!

USA
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Got a very good rate so decided to stay at the Sheraton which was newly renovated.

The good - Service was friendly. Every single staff person was friendly, said hello, etc. The shuttle driver to and from the airport was particularly friendly and helpful.

The ok - The rooms are renovated, nice comfortable beds, nicely remodeled bathrooms. The gym is quite nice as is the lobby.

The bad - Had a lot of issues with the room and some service failures. Two missed wake ups calls, so I gave up requesting them after the second night. The heat did not work in the room. It was sort of fixed when I complained (sort of in that I cranked it up during the day to the high 70s only to have it stop working in the evening and drop back to the upper 60s by morning. Not ideal). Also, people seem to smoke at the heat/AC intake causing the room to fill with cigarette smoke smells a few times a day, which was annoying.

Also, paying $10 for super super super slow internet is a problem. It rarely worked and when it did it was very very slow and unusable.

Overall, staff is very nice but lots of issues with the hotel. There are probably better options in SLC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear RazzTazz23,

I appreciate your comments and I'm happy to know you experienced great service from our staff, especially the airport shuttle driver.

I'm concerned about the HVAC issues you experienced in your room. I will pass your comments on to our Engineering Department to follow up and make sure this unit is working properly. Thank you for letting us know!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Sheraton in SLC is really the only starwood in the area so if you are traveling for work and want to stay at a star wood proprty it will do. The lounge offers drinks and snacks, which was a nice perk, but the hotel itself feels very dated and the rooms are very basic. Not a first choice, but the staff are friendly and the facility was clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Julia K,

We are happy to provide loyal SPG guests with an option in Salt Lake City. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on our lounge, staff, and hotel. Your comments are important to us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salt Lake City
Little America Hotel
Little America Hotel
#11 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Marriott City Center
Salt Lake City Marriott City Cen...
#19 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake City
Hotel RL By Red Lion Salt Lake C...
#57 of 75 in Salt Lake City

Been to Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel? Share your experiences!