“Awful place”

Ranked #23 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
chicago
“Awful place”
Reviewed January 20, 2007

I just returned from a stay at this hotel and was very disappointed. Elevators were not running, parking garage key was malfunctioning, no coffee in room, bed by numbers was broken on my first night there. When trying to voice my concerns with front desk, noone would answer phone for at minimum 10 minutes. Also tried to order room service on first night there and couldn't get anyone to answer phone. When food did finally arrive it was inedible. I would never stay here again. I would pay double at one of their competitors first. Hotel is understaffed which makes me nervous about their safety issues.
I am trying to say one positive comment about the hotel and cannot think of one. Sorry.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank funtravelChicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed November 28, 2006

Bottom line up front: The Radisson is probably a great hotel, in so long that you receive the right room, are greeted by the right people at check-in and don't mind sleeping in two double beds with your wife.

I booked this for a November trip, while waiting for a flight to go to Mexico. The hotel inside is beautiful. The rooms are small, but clean. Our view wasn't that great.

That said, we got a GREAT rate through Priceline to stay here, so I can't complain on those saving. But, of course, with a priceline booking, you don't receive any of the awards usually associated with frequent stays at a hotel chain. Oh well...

I just didn't like that I asked for a King, but received two doubles for this room. The AC/Heat is NOISY and it was FREEZING in the room when we arrived. But, overall, a nice upgrade.

This hotel is definitely not one that I would recommend to friends and/or ever stay at myself again, but it was just "ALRIGHT."

Could have been better with a more congeniale front staff that actually seems interested in your stay at their hotel. They herded me through like cattle and just was not cheated well...

Lastly, as an FYI, if you're planning on staying here to park for the Airport, DON'T DO IT!!!!! This Raddison does not run a shuttle airport and will also charge you $13 per day for parking. My recommendation is to stay here the one nigt, and then just drive over to the $6 long-term parking available at the airport...

Hope that this helps!

• Liked — The beds were very comfortable
  • Disliked — The service, staff, and the overall cleanliness/updates of the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else for a GREAT STAY...stay here for a bed and shower
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mrkane
New York
Reviewed August 18, 2006

I stayed at the Raddisson Downtown Salt Lake, while I visited my sister for her surprise 50th birthday party. I was there from 8/14 - 8/18.

GREAT - my room was clean, every day there were plenty of thick fresh towels, nice toiletries, excellent lighting and mirrors in the bathroom, air conditioning worked perfectly, and the "you-adjust" comfort bed provided me a good night's sleep and rest.

AVERAGE - Front desk staff, although not disrespectful, they were not very caring. They answered your questions, but they did not appear to really care about helping the customers. I am very friendly, so I know it was not something I did.

BELOW AVERAGE -THE CONSTRUCTION--the parking is horrible. To get to the parking deck, I was afraid someone was going to come around the corner and hit me. The parking deck driveway is narrow due to the construction. The area is also filthy with dust. The front entry way of the hotel is taped up for the construction.

Overall, if there was no constrcuion, I would stay there again. I am a clean and neat freak, and the room was impeccable.

• Liked — Clean rooms, great lighting in the bathroom, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff, construction
  • Tips/Secrets — Check to see if the constrction is still taking place.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank nynan
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2006

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. We paid only $70 per night so it was quite cheep for the excellent location. However, it overall it was a disappointing stay. The hotel looks “worn out”. The parking area is being renovated and we experienced a lot of noise from heavy machinery.

Other negatives:
-Housekeeping came into our room at 8:30 in the morning despite we had a “please do not disturb” sign on the door.
-Slow internet with many dropouts.
-I presented my airline bonus card at check inn, but was told they did not use that. Manager told me the same even though I showed him proof that I should get points for staying at the hotel.
-Some lights in the room did not work and the once that did had an irritating humming sound
-House keeping took our shampoo and did not leave new ones.
-The restaurant is overpriced and the food is not very good.

I will not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed at the Radisson in downtown SLC while at a convention at the convention center. The hotel is right at a back door of the convention center, so it was very convenient. The room was very nice, views were great, and staff very accomodating. Restaurant was fine, but it is a hotel restaurant, so it's not exactly the type of place you'd run back to. Overall, a very good place to stay when in town for an event at the convention center.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank tewks
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2006

I am currently in my room at this hotel now.
Negatives:
--internet and phone service went out for several hours yeaterday.
--hotel staff was unable to get me a cab, although they said they called one and did let me wait in the lobby for 20 minutes before remembering to tell me that the company was busy and wasn't sure when the cab would come.
--wait staff in dining room appear to have never served a meal before. I had to help my server fill out the credit card receipt correctly, after waiting for 5 minutes to find her.
--Dinner (pasta with chicken) was overcooked to the point of being inedible.
--heat in the relatively large room works unevenly: there is only out heating duct so that part of the room is very warm while the rest of the room is cold, due in part to a cracked window pane.
--Tub drain appears to be somewhat clogged. When i shower i am standing in a pool of water.
--Complimetary breakfast bufffet was lousy: unheated scrambled eggs, greasy sausage, terrible coffee, one waiter who never came by my table.
--After calling the 800 # for radisson to complain, the guy there told me the manager would call me shortly to straighten out the cab problem. She never did.

Positives:
--room service came quickly and the food (nachos) was actually pretty good.
--one of the front desk clerks was nice.
--Bed was comfortable.

I'm not going to be staying at a Radisson again.

Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed March 12, 2006

I really had no problems with this hotel at all. In fact, I was surprised to read all of the negative reviews on here. The room was beautiful and the service at the front desk was helpful and knowledgeable. We ate at the restaurant for dinner and had a great steak dinner and the wait staff was great. I did eat breakfast there the next morning and I can't say it was that good, though. My only other complaint would be about the parking garage - it is under construction and is a little hard to navigate around. I guess I was lucky because I got this hotel through Hotwire[-] and the rate was only $67 a night. Pretty good compared to what others have paid. I might stay here again although my favorite place to stay in Salt Lake is the Hotel Monaco.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business