“What a disappointment”

Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Booked this hotel on Hotwire.com

Hotel wanted to charge a $25.00 "incidental" charges. This was a joke as we had already paid online. To make it worse, found this out from the valet worker, as the concierge girl didn't feel it necessary to tell us when we checked in. In addition to the poor customer service, there were hookers outside trying to make "pick-ups".

Wouldn't recommend. Ended up staying at The Grand America Hotel (owned by Little America). Awesome and well worth the $200.00 for the night. Great service and awesome room.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown

Reviewed November 18, 2009

I decided to give the Radisson brand a try. It was much less than I had expected. Rooms were average size with average furnishings. TV left much to be desired, as the only place to view it is in bed. it has a small tube tv compared to other hotels in the price range. This is obviously in older property, but it looks like it is maintained well and is clean. Room amenities seemed bare. Restaurant good but pricey. They nail you for parking your own vehicle, above that of the room charge. Did not like that one bit. The room seemed to have been updated at some point, yet i cannot figure out why this hotel ( and many others) could not bother to switch out the old light switches (faded, ivory, dirty, old looking) and cover plates to give the room a clean fresh look (A pet peeve of mine). Wanted to stay downtown, but there is not much within walking distance. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Clean public areas, clean room, comfortable. Ate at restaurant in the hotel several times; friendly service, good food.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The Sleep Comfort beds were great, never felt like I was in a Hotel bed. I really really like the shower.. as a Tall person, the shower head was high enough and there was plenty of room also. Ever experience I had with the hotel staff, whether maid service, the front desk or the restaurant staff was flawlessly handled, with just the right amount of friendliness. The only minus would be the daily charge for the car, in the attached parking garage. This hotel is just down the block for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.. easy walk to and from hotel. Easy walk to and from the Salt Palace convention center (and most of this inside, with the access near the back of the building.)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed here during a vacation through a national parks organized tour.

The Radisson exemplified my idea of a perfect hotel stay:
Clean rooms; furnishings were new and contemporary
Comfortable bed - one of the most comfy I stayed in and we didn't even have one of the Sleep Number beds
Internet Access
Character - its your basic business hotel vs. leisure but if you are just looking for a place to stay on your travels, it is perfectly fine.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We were just passing through on our way home and wanted to stay downtown Salt Lake City as we had never visited it before. The Radisson worked out perfectly for us. It is located right downtown and close to everything. Parking is easy and secure underground with access to the lobby from the elevator. Lots of parking too. The lobby is beautiful with its black marble fireplace and candelabra lighting. Check in was quick and easy, but I have to say that the front desk clerks weren't as friendly as I would have hoped. It was hard to even get a smile out of them. They did their job though so I can't complain that anything was messed up. We did receive a message in our room when we got back later in the evening saying they were just checking to make sure everything was satisfactory. That was a nice touch and made us feel welcomed. We were given room 1502 on the top floor with a spectacular view of the city and surrounding areas. The room was an adequate size with two double beds, a nice desk and chair, an arm chair, and a basic tv in the cabinet. The bathroom was decent and had a complimentary bottle of water and a nice shower head. Towels were nice and fluffy too! This was our first time sleeping on a SleepNumber bed and they were just OK. Not the best sleep I've had but not terrible. The only complaint I had with the room was the strong musty smell from the moment we entered he room. It may have been from the AC but not sure. Wifi worked great. Pool, hot tub, and sauna is located on the second floor with a large fitness room surrounding it. Pool was small but warm, but there were some nice lounge chairs surrounding it. We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant on property but I did get a chai in their espresso area in the morning. Again the lady wasn't overly friendly but oh well, not a big deal. Overall our stay was fine and perfect for what we needed. The hotel is STARTING to show it's age with normal wear and tear, but they are still doing a decent job in keeping it up. Is the hotel overly fancy? No. It is just a clean, basic hotel downtown. If you want something more elaborate, check out the Marriott City Center or even the Grand America. We will certainly consider it again on our next stay.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I was little concerned reading some of the prior reviews when I found out this was where I'd be staying... but, at the price I named on PL I'm happy ($35/night).
The hotel is a pretty good location for SLC depending upon what you want to do - close to Temple Square, shopping, and if there were an event going on at convention center or arena, it would be really handy (and then I'm sure you wouldn't be able to name such a low price).
I did rent a car - and glad I did - but the parking here is pretty expensive.

My room was very nice size and adequately furnished. The bed was comfortable. Nice desk and no issues with Internet access.

I did have a lack of hot water 1 night, but not others.

Carpet was really really badly stained - wow.
I did appreciate a thermostat that actually controlled the room temperature - but still have hard time understanding why some properties/housekeeping insist on turning the AC down to 70 or below while you're out --- crank up the carbon emissions, waste energy....

For 3 out of 4 nights I had no noise problems at all. The last night, new guests on the floor made me realize that the soundproofing (door and walls) isn't as good as I'd like.

So, basically I thought the property was decent, average, nothing special, but for the price I paid, it was very good value and prompted me to give it a higher rating than if I paid rack rate.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo