“Pool cold as ice”

Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Utah
“Pool cold as ice”
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Booked this hotel for a mini family getaway. The front desk staff were very friendly and fast. Rec'd everything I requested. Room was very clean. Had 2 full sleep number beds which were nice. The pillows were horrible. Flat and lumpy. Took the kids down to the pool which was ice cold. We couldnt even swim in it , it was so cold. The next morning while we were still in bed the maid knocked on the door and proceded to come in even though we had a do not disturb sign on the door. We chose this hotel because it was so close to the Gateway Mall but we will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I was here on business travel for 3 nights. The first thing I noticed was how close it was to the Gateway Mall and Energy Solutions Arena. Not to mention my work site.
It just so happened that they overbooked the day I showed up so they placed me in the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel down the street for that night free. Then I could return to the Radisson to check in the next day. I'm here to say that the Plaza was better . Bigger room and it had a refrigerator and microwave oven. I showed up at the Radisson and my room was clean but small and just wasn't cozy. I had a Sleep Number bed which is unique. A lot of people like those but the overall experience here just didn't do it for me. I agree with most of the reviews for this hotel. Especially about what one reviewer wrote about the front desk staff not appearing to like their jobs. There was a mix-up in my booking from my company that required paperwork to be faxed to the hotel. My company told me they took care of this earlier. I didn't believe them because the hotel said they haven't seen anything. Later in the evening, I went up to the front desk telling them there had to be a mistake. The lady went into the back and sure enough, the faxed document was there. Turns out that the fax was sitting at their machine all day. I didn't get an apology at all. The views from the room was pretty good but in downtown Salt Lake, every view is good because you are surrounded by mountains. You can climb a small tree to get a good view so I'm probably giving this hotel to much credit for that.
I'm glad that I didn't pay to stay here. If I was paying, then I would give that other hotel down the street my patronage instead. One bright side is their restaurant. Again, nothing fancy but at least their menu was versatile and you have to check out the breakfast they serve.
In conclusion, I'm not saying you shouldn't stay here. It's not bad, but just not great. Fairly average.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — how basic it was
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
wausau WI
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Real nice place. Right downtown. Trolley station across the street. Walk to Gateway big outdoor shopping center and food court area. I'm here on Sunday though and be advised I just walked for 45 minutes and only found a McDonalds and a Sunglass Hut open in the whole town! I have never seen a town so closed! But the free internet works well in my room today and the rooms have those sleep number beds that I love and the lobby is nice and staffed by friendly people.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Town is closed on Sundays
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
utah
Reviewed March 30, 2008

a convention was going on next door was very noisy, rooms are small and the beds were not comfortable

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
Reviewed December 18, 2007

Participated in a conference at the SLC conference center. This hotel is in a GREAT location, right next door and was priced reasonably. The room was very basic but comfortable and I was able to get access to the internet for business purposes. Lounge and restaurant are very average but they worked for a short business trip.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Balckyball
Tualatin, Oregon
Reviewed November 22, 2007

The best part of our stay at the Radisson Salt Lake Downtown was the location of the hotel. We were attending a basketball game at the Energy Solutions Arena the night of our stay and the hotel is just down the street from the arena. It was also very close to the Gateway Shopping Center, Temple Square and other downtown attractions.
The other positive part of our stay was the staff – they were very helpful and friendly.

The negatives. The non-smoking room we stayed in smelled like cigarette smoke. It wasn’t an overwhelming smell, but still a little annoying. The air-conditioning/heating unit was horribly loud and interrupted our sleep. The faucet in the bathtub was very sensitive and keeping a constant temperature was difficult. The room we stayed in had a Sleep Number Bed and because of the way it was hyped by the hotel, I expected it to be incredibly comfortable. We found out, however, that it is just a glorified air mattress. I don’t find air mattresses very comfortable, and therefore didn’t find the bed too comfortable either.

Despite it’s location I probably wouldn’t stay at the Radisson Salt Lake Downtown again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Problems with the room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cm42lb75
Orange, California
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Front desk staff all seemed to hate their job. Unfriendly attitude. This is a cheap hotel with most traveller being childrens sports teams. Definitely not recommended for vacation stay.
I booked through priceline and even tried unseccessully to cancel, after reading all negative reviews.
Priceline needs to rate this hotel as a 1-star, instead of 3-star,