“Noisy, but in a good location”

Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #20 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The positive: The hotel is in a good location for the price. They have a business center where there are several computers and printers (free). Housekeeping staff was pleasant and brought me travel sized lotion when I called to see if they had any. The restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel was decent.

The negative: My room was on the 14th floor (out of 15) and was facing the main street, West South Temple, where the Trax (lightrail) system runs parallel to. The room (walls, windows, doors) was not soundproof at all. It sounded like the windows were open to the street, except the windows DON'T open. The Trax system went by every 10 minutes during the night, and I could hear people talking in the street (seriously... at 14 floors up). My room was also across from the vending/ ice machine, and when people were dispensing ice, it sounded like my room door was wide open. Besides the noise, the hot water in the shower lasted at most 10 minutes, which was an awful surprise. The vanity mirror in the bathroom was unusable because it wouldn't stay tilted upwards.

They were currently undergoing construction when I stayed in Dec 2011, but it didn't affect my stay at all. I would definitely request a room facing the interior of the building and away from the street. You'll probably have a more quiet and pleasant experience!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the interior of the building and away from the street. Stay away from ice mach...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CaliSunshyne
Joel T, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2011

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the experience you had with noise and hot water during your stay. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you so that we can make it right. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,264)

Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stayed at the Radisson for 8 days during a business trip to Salt Lake City.
We discovered that the lobby was under renovation and were afraid that this would be annoying and noisy.
We soon realized that the hotel had taken every measure to reduce as much as possible the nuisance caused by the construction and it really didn't bother us.

The good:

Great staff, very helpful and genuinely eager to provide immediate assistance when required.
All our requests were immediately fulfilled in the most satisfactory manner.

The hotel location is extremely convenient. It takes barely 4 minutes to get to to the beautiful Gateway shopping mall ( by foot ) and even less to the Temple, the Convention Center, the Church of the Latter Day Saints and Salt Lake Temple ( all are recommended attractions).
A large choice of fine restaurants are also within reach of a few minutes walk.

The I-80 and I-15 highways are also nearby ( less than 3 minutes by car ) making it very easy to commute - the airport is only a 15 minutes drive.

The hotel restaurant is surprisingly good - breakfast is excellent and dining at the restaurant is definitely recommended ( great burgers and tasty salads )

The bad:

The rooms are not well insulated for noise - if your neighbors talk loudly, you can hear every word they say...

The heating system ( split A/C ) is noisy and the room is either too hot ( when the A/C is on ) or too cold ( when the A/C is off )

We were told by the hotel management that the old A/C units are being progressively replaced for better systems.

Overall, a great experience and we can definitely recommend the Radisson if you intend to stay in Salt Lake City.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you felt our staff resolved your concerns and look forward to welcoming you on your next stay!

Reviewed December 12, 2011

Banquet Room was horrible, most went uneaten. Two of the Guest Rooms that I checked into hadn't been cleaned. I had to call the maid service to come back up twice! The only good thing that I can say about the experience is that the Valet was very helpful. I do My family booked a large Christmas Reunion at The Radisson. The Front Desk Crew was very rude. The Sales Manager in the Catering Department was unconcerned when we had issues. Security Crew treated us as if were criminals. The food in the not recommend this Hotel at all!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

I would personally like to thank you for your past patronage and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We strive to offer Radisson’s infamous “Yes I Can” service to all of our guests. It is obvious that you were not satisfied with the outcome of your family reunion. We have been in contact with the event organizer to discuss the service gaps you have mentioned in this review. I would welcome a phone call to address any additional issues you may have.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I just visited Salt Lake City over Thanksgiving 2011. It was my first time in Utah and I was there to do some skiing.

The Good:
-The hotel is centrally located, pretty easy to get to all the mountains/resorts
-Inexpensive -- almost all the hotels in the area were around $100/night.
-Restaurant - they serve a very good breakfast with made to order omelets.

The Bad:
-Parking costs extra (I paid for the event package which included parking and breakfast
-The rooms are clean but just ok condition. The rooms need to be renovated and they are doing just that right now. They are working on the lobby now and will be moving up to the rooms after.
-I had a problem with the toilet. The front desk promptly sent someone to fix it... no problem there. My only complaint there was that the toilet area was not cleaned after the fix... I had to clean it. On a positive note - management was very responsive to this and resolved it.

Good/Bad
-I wasnt so fond of the sleep number beds they had but I think some people do like them. I had two different rooms and the 2nd room had a regular bed.

Would I stay here again?
If management was not as responsive as they were, my answer would be definitely not. I stayed at the nearby Sheraton in the downtown area for about the same price and had a much better experience. I would give them another shot after the renovation is complete and assuming it was less expensive then the Sheraton.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Joel T, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you experienced an issue in your room, but glad we were able to resolve it for you. You will pleased to know that many of our beds are being replaced along with the renovation of the rooms. We look forward to your next stay and hope you will enjoy our newly renovated hotel.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

My room was clean and comfortable and my experiences at the restaurant/lounge were great. The location of the hotel was nice. I had no issues here and would stay here again. I would recommend the hotel as a great place to stay in the downtown area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Joel T, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Thank you for your review. We are always thrilled to know that we have provided the level of service we expect of ourselves. Please come back for another stay soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

The room is nice and comfortable. The view of the mountains is wonderful. The hotel is very close to the conference center, which was very important for me. The front desk people were very helpful. I had a problem with the (free) internet they provide in the rooms and a person from the front desk rushed to my room and solved the problem. The quality of reception of the wi-fi could be improved though. The hotel restaurant is satisfactory. The deli\coffee shop should be upgraded.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Joel T, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you for submitting a review. I am glad you are pleased with your experience at our hotel and hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Dated and run down, but location is good. Service was also good. Would be a good value at $50.

• Stayed: November 2011
Joel T, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey. I am sorry that you were unsatisfied with your experience at our hotel. I am excited to tell you that we have just started a renovation of our hotel. We hope that on your next visit you will be pleased with the updates.