“A Taste of Ethiopia”

African Market
Ranked #343 of 1,432 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Friendly service in a quiet atmosphere on a hot Saturday afternoon, at this unique East African restaurant. When you go, order sambussas, hot, spicy, lentil-filled appetizers that are so unique and delicious you might just order some to take home, as we did. When your food arrives, it is accompanied by budenaa, a spongy and vinegary bread, which is broken off and used instead of utensils. We would definitely return to sample a greater variety of items, although the location is a bit out of the way.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Having never had African food before I was eager to give this place a try. It does feel like it's out in the middle of nowhere. Service could be a little friendlier, but I didn't find them to be rude per se. One of our group had eaten African food before, so when she was asking questions about the difference in dishes and names the waitress warmed up to our group a little and from then on out it was just fine. We asked her for recommendations, she told our group (of 8) to get a sample platter, then you can just try everything.

They brought out a huge plate with the spongy bread topped with all kinds of different dishes. You eat with your hands off the communal platter, grabbing the dishes with the spongy bread. I think some of it was vegetarian, at least no meat, while some had beef pieces in it--a good mix for a large crowd. Although it was delicious, those with a sensitive stomach may want to take caution as the spongy bread may upset it. Most of our group was just fine.

I think it's great to try at least once, and while the taste is very good, nothing stood out to me drawing me back, but I'm still glad to have tried it and would recommend everyone go once. However, if your friends are squeamish about anything other than meat & potatoes, I'd hold off on this one and ease them in with other more familiar foreign foods so they can enjoy and appreciate this experience.

2  Thank JenniJae
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I like the food here and have visited several times. However, the last time I went I found the ladies to not only be unfriendly but downright rude as if my friend and I were bothering them. I heard there is a new African restaurant in Sugarhouse. I will have to check that one out since this one is way out in Redwood Road and the last experience was not pleasant - I don't care how good the food is. If the servers/waiters/owners are rude, I don't want to go back.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I found this jewel last weekend and are so happy we know about it now! They offer take out and dine in and the injera was spongy, sour, and wonderful. Very authentic; vegetarian and vegan plates available, lots of different sauces. The egg with chicken sauce was delicious. We cleaned our plates and wish we had room for more. Service was laid back - different people pitched in to seat us, take our order, refill icy beers, and check on us. We enjoyed the lively mix of ages and ethnicites among the other diners; a unique experience in Utah.

1  Thank echolaine
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This restaurant was recommended some time ago, and we finally got around to trying it. Now we are sorry we waited for so long! We let the food servers choose our meals for us: An appetizer that was kind of like a lentil-filled samosa, an entree combo for two (a large piece of injera bread covered with mounds of meat and vegetable dishes), and more injera bread on the side. We ate using the traditional style by picking up the food with our fingers using pieces of injera bread to scoop it up. The entire meal came to only about $30 and we brought leftovers home. The two women servers were among the most gracious and friendly restaurant hosts that I have ever encountered and the food was very good.

1  Thank RunnerWoman