“Great Food in SLC”
Review of The Copper Onion

The Copper Onion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Copper Onion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,387 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: State St. & 300 S
Description: The Copper Onion is one of the new additions to the growing Utah foodie scene. Former NYC chef (and native Utahan) Ryan Lowder now brings his personal take on New American cuisine to his own kitchen with an approach inspired by his passion for Utah’s outstanding farmstead ingredients and his experience as a chef cooking his way through Barcelona, NYC and South America. The Copper Onion serves a wide array of vegetable side dishes and a menu designed to explore and share, with plates such as Ricotta dumplings with lemon, sage and brown butter and Braised Pork Belly with shaved Brussels sprouts and pickled celeriac. Entrees include Fresh house-made papparedelle with lamb ragout and Duck Confit with butternut squash and roasted mushroom caps. An insistent focus on the freshest and best is paramount; sausages and burgers are ground daily, bread is baked and ice cream is made in house, offering casual diners an exceptional experience at affordable prices.
Denver, Colorado
“Great Food in SLC”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Places like the Copper Onion are beginning to give Salt Lake City a reputation for great cuisine in a city typically underrepresented in the food scene. The ambiance here is lively and exciting. I sat at the bar with an old friend and we enjoyed plate after plate of delicious food. Though I did not try the pasta, they make it in house and it looked fantastic. The open kitchen keeps the energy up. If you are traveling to SLC, this is definitely a worthy stop.

• Visited March 2013

Park City, Utah
“Used to be great- service is headed downhill”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We went here with our family one night because we had been numerous times and loved it. I have to say the service is really headed downhill from what it was. Before we got sat we tried to order a beer at the bar but they told us someone would come find us and take our order. No one came and we ended up sitting at our table. Our server took about 10 minutes to even come over and say hi and beers we ordered took an other 10. He never asked if we wanted more drinks throughout the whole night. When we finally ordered it took them at least 30 minutes to bring out the meal. I ordered a huge meat and cheese plate and he just slid it in front of me and didn't explain what any of it was like any other place would when you order that dish. After that he never checked on our table or asked how anything was. My mom went here again and had told us that she also had trouble with poor service. I know this is a very busy and popular restaurant but they need to take care of their repeat customers and focus more on better service. Probably will not be back.

• Visited May 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Energetic and trendy”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Energetic and trendy are the words I would use to describe Copper Onion.
We recently ate there for a going away party for a friend. The environment was loud and the place was packed, which surprised us for a Tuesday night. The wait was fairly quick and there were servers that were attentive to the waiting area, seeing if people wanted drinks or small plates.

The drink menus were nice and varied and had changed from previous visits. There were some very creative drinks on the menu that tasted quite good and were reasonably priced. The food is more with current trends for restaurants and is less unique in some ways (foodie opinion) but is still rock solid and very flavorful. Serving duck-Cheese fries with a bone marrow gravy is an example of being trendy and less unique in my eyes. It’s not something you see at any restaurant but you will see it at the BA Foodie kind of joints. Dinner was very flavorful and tasted great. Everyone had well portioned meals and all of the plates were cleaned before the end. Desserts were interesting and fantastic tasting as well.

We will return here. It is an upscale place but not as high end as a Bombara, Martine, or Log Haven. More in line with Meditrina but with a different style and feel.

• Visited April 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Heavenly Food”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The food here was fabulous, the service was outstanding. We shared the mussels which were in a butter wine sauce. I had never had mussels before and just fell in love with these. I order them everytime I go!!! The hamburger is great, the chicken is melt in your mouth outstanding!!
If you haven't been there yet, you're missing out!!!

• Visited April 2013
bwaybaby109
“Yum”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I wandered in hot and sweaty from a day of walking and was promptly seated at the bar overlooking the kitchen. Since I was in town on business and alone, it was great to watch the chefs in action. I stuck with the evening's special of pork ribs over polenta, kale and mushrooms. It was sublime. My cocktail, though small, was also delicious and the staff was friendly. It's a little more than I would normally spend for dinner, but worth it.

Visited May 2013