“Nice outdoor dining area with good food”

Sapa Sushi Bar & Asian Grill
Ranked #75 of 1,434 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant opened last summer. See Web site URL.
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I have driven by Sapa many times but never stopped. It's not the best neighborhood and we had no idea if it was a place to take kids. Tonight we were on a date and decided to give this place a try.

It was 7:00 on a Friday night. The place was busy but not packed. We were seated and helped immediately. We chose to sit in the outdoor courtyard surrounded by 300-year-old hand carved homes imported from Vietnam. Very cool.

Their food is an Asian fusion of Vietnamese, Japanese, and Thai. The hard part about going to a new restaurant is I never know what to order. We ordered Curry Puff Chicken ($5) and Pork/Veggie Pot Stickers ($5). The Curry Puff Chicken was a little too sweet for me. I loved the Pot Stickers (they weren't deep fried).

My main meal was teriyaki chicken with garlic string beans and saffron rice ($13). It was good but not any better than most of the Japanese places we go to. My husband had two orders of sushi (he's sleeping or I'd tell you what they were). I remember him saying the sushi was cheaper than most places we visit and tasted just as good.

They do have a sign hanging outside the restaurant that said they were voted Best of Utah Best Dining Artistry by City Weekly in 2010.

Overall, it was a really nice place for a date night.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We came to town to take out our important clients. They picked this restaurant. We were very impressed with the quality of food and the attentiveness of the server. At one point one of the other servers even offered to reseat one of our guests to a different spot on the table so that the sun would not be shining in her eyes. Great attention to detail. Loved the food. Would love to go back sometime.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Found this place by walking around near the Grand America hotel. A bit sketchy area, but the food was delicious! You must go there and order the Spicy Yellowtail roll. It has lemon, jalapeño, cucumber, onion, and masago. The lemon was a very nice touch! Very reasonably priced as well. A must visit if you love sushi!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Where are all the reviews of this amazing place? I found some old reviews on another site that said different things about disappointing service but they are from 2009 and they couldn't be further from the truth. I think people should be flocking to this place. It checked all the boxes... the food is great, service, ambiance... value! It's all there. I went with my best friend and we tried many things. We had 2 different sushi rolls, the calamari (amazing!!!) and the pork dumplings. Everything was so fresh and great... and beautifully prepared. For a main, we shared the Massaman Beef curry and it was incredible. The drinks were priced very well too. I give it a solid 10! I can't wait to go back. I would not list this place as an "expensive" place. We had 4 appetizers, one of the more expensive mains, and split a bottle of wine. With a STANDARD 20% tip we paid $41 each. That is an excellent deal in my opinion.

2  Thank Hylasgirl
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The food was delicious, atmosphere inviting, and the service was incredible. So we went three times in the week I visited SLC. And if you don't like sushi, there's plenty of other great food on the menu. Place gets a bit crowded on weekends, though, so make a reservation.