“Awesome food”

Ranked #175 of 1,494 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Finest Indian and Nepali Cuisine prepared by finest chefs.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

By far the best indian food in Salt Lake City. Very happy with their varieties,service,quality and most Importantly taste of the food. Only disappointment was gulab jamun which was rubbery and all others were good. Would love to visit one more time for sure.

1  Thank Ashok R

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Very enjoyable evening. Restaurant has great atmosphere, and is richly decorated with items from Nepal & India. Seemed like all of the staff were from those countries too. Had big TV's with beautiful slideshow pictures.. We ordered the Vegetable Coconut Korma and the Vegetable Chow Chow. Both were delicious, and we both came home with leftovers enough for a second meal. Service was great. Would highly recommend this place!

1  Thank Shea O
Reviewed November 23, 2013

OK. Honestly, I have to admit that when I first saw the advertisements and reviews for Kathmandu, I was incredibly incredulous. "The most authentic Nepali food in Salt Lake." Really? Sorry. I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Finding authentic Thai or Chinese food in Salt Lake was already challenging enough, despite the vast plethora of Thai and Chinese food places. So Nepali food?

Well, that was before I took my first bite. Once I sank my teeth in, I was instantly transported back to the subcontinent. What I found interesting was that Kathmandu's Indian cuisine was even better than that to be found at Indian restaurants, even though Kathmandu's specialty was really Nepali. But anyway, I ordered a butter chicken (on the Indian menu side) and an Everest paneer (on the Nepali menu side). Both were absolutely DELICIOUS! The BEST subcontinent food I have had in a VERY long time. I mean, it was just so perfect. I had ordered the butter chicken medium spicy, and it was just that. Definitely not mild but not overpowering. Just "medium." One thing about it though. It was not the equivalent of chicken makhani, which is usually translated as "butter chicken." So my expectations were a bit off. The sauce was a bit more along the lines of tikka masala...in terms of color and texture...but oh, was it GOOD! It was SO CREAMY!!! The Everest paneer had the word mango written all over it in the description, and since I LOVE mango, I decided to go for that one. And that one was perfect as well. Sweet and tangy with a consistency not too watery but not too viscous. I don't know what they did or put in it to make its consistency so perfect. And what blend of sugar and spice to make the taste so balanced.

This might be a moot point, but even the basmati rice was very good. It wasn't over or undercooked, and I'm sorry, but that happens A LOT at Indian restaurants. So kudos for that. And the servers were so soft spoken. Very willing to serve but left you alone most of the time so you could eat. But just the attitude and presentation also reminded me a lot of servers back on the subcontinent.

What's more, the price was just right. For what you got, that is, an entree, unlimited rice, and a full order of naan for about $12, it was a bargain! I'd challenge anyone to find another place that threw in naan while charging that price!

It truly was an amazing experience. Oh, I just can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Ernest W
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is my favorite spot for Nepalese and Indian food in Salt Lake. The staff are all very friendly. The samosa chat is a delicious original appetizer! All the food is great. My favorites are chicken tikka masala, butter chicken, and vegetable coconut korma. The gulab jamen and mango pudding are great deserts. The Saturday lunch buffet is my favorite - a great way to discover new dishes. Most Indian restaurants in the area only do lunch buffet on Monday - Friday.

2  Thank Dave P
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We ordered biryani to go around 9pm. They mixed chicken tikka with vegetable biryani and said it is chicken biryani.

3  Thank Shashi Y