1,171 results
All reviewsfort douglasmedical facilitiesmoran eye centerhuntsman cancer institutegreat place to stayred butte gardensstarbucks coffeeice watersalt lakefree shuttleshuttle serviceclean roomsbagelsfree breakfastfresh fruitcookiesexercise room
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at the University Guest House for four days in November 2012 for a business meeting. I went in with high expectations and every one of them was exceeded. From the outstanding service at check-in to the excellent meeting facilities to the full-sized hair dryers and Keurig coffee machines in each room to the fabulous complimentary continental breakfast, I was completely satisfied with my stay. Although the property has a great fitness center onsite, I preferred a morning walk around the gorgeous University of Utah campus, set in the mountains. The front desk staff was able to not only meet my needs on property, but was able to direct me to public transportation downtown (easily accessible), and a walking route around campus. The newly remodeled rooms are spacious and would be great for family travel as well. The pleasant "can-do" attitude of the entire staff, from front desk to housekeeping, was greatly appreciated. Business travel is sometimes painful at best, but my stay at the Guesthouse was a highlight of this trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank theworkingdiva
justin_slc, Manager at University Guest House & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you appreciate the wonderful location we have. The Fort Douglas area is gorgeous for a walk. Thank you again for all your kind comments.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I will stay again and do recommend staying at the guest house. My family and I had two room. The staff was friendly and very professional. There was free parking and free continental breakfast every morning. The beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Lyonsbabe
justin_slc, Manager at University Guest House & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you had a great stay.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at this property largely because of the many positive reviews on TA and also its location on the University of Utah campus. UGHCC is located on the north eastern part of the campus on Fort Douglas Boulevard next to a chapel in a residential area across from the medical school. It was cold and snowy the weekend I was there so I didn’t try walking to the main part of campus (the part with the library and bookstore) but those looked less than a mile away. There was plenty of complimentary parking in front and behind the hotel. Snow visited the area the weekend I was there but the snow plows came through.

I believe the TRAX stop and the campus shuttle stops are close by the hotel. Take note: the campus parking authority is quite vigilant as I discovered when I didn’t get my UGHCC parking permit displayed soon enough on my rental car.

My room was plenty roomy and had a microwave, college sized refrigerator, coffee maker, and flat screen TV with a full complement of cable/satellite channels. There was no thermostat that I could see so I just ran the heater unit on low heat all night and that kept the outside winter cold at bay but those sensitive to AC noise may wish to take note of the fan that had to run all night. The bathroom as fine and I had no issues with the house keeping. My check in and check out experiences were fine.

The hotel didn’t seem full that weekend and I didn’t have any issues with noise apart from noting the occasional clomp-clomp of guests in the room above mine. The hotel is smoke free and really seemed that way the weekend I was there except for the one guest just outside the lower level entrance all weekend. There is a workout room and a guest laundry but I didn’t use either.

I appreciated the complimentary hot breakfast every morning especially since there didn’t appear to be any restaurants closer than town about a mile away and it snowing outside. The buffet offered cereal, fruit, toast/bagels/muffins, different variations of omelet, French toast or these really skinny pancakes, and some kind of breakfast meat (bacon or sausage). The coffee was better than average I noticed. There is a grocery store about off campus about 2 miles away. Before we all got snowed in, I did stop by a good pizzeria but hard to find because it is below ground beneath a pharmacy.

UGHCC offers a better than basic lodging experience located on the University of Utah campus with good access to downtown Salt Lake City (about 10 minutes on surface streets). This is not the Ritz or some luxury hotel experience with tips required every few steps but a decent place for a no-nonsense, value-minded traveler to make a stop near but not in downtown Salt Lake City and on the University of Utah campus. At breakfast, I ran into an acquaintance who I found out has been coming to the campus regularly for the past year and I suspect that this person found UGHCC sufficiently a good value to be a repeat customer. When I return to Salt Lake City next spring, I expect to be a repeat customer too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank J13345

Thanks for your review. I think you covered just about everything. It is great to hear that you had a good experience. The pizza place you went to is called The Pie. It is a very popular pizza place for the college kids.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Spent five wonderful days. Every member of the staff provided excellent service. The view is spectacular and the rooms comfortable and well appointed. Room had a fridge, microwave, Keurig, and full hair dryer. Lobby had hot breakfast, warm cookies and cider in the afternoon, and lots of board games. Full fitness center and soft spaces all over the hotel. Free wifi and a 24 convenience store provided everything you need. Train to downtown is right across the street. Management at the Hiltons and marriotts in which I've stayed recently should take lessons from these folks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Metsluvrnj

Thank you for your review. I think that after a week you have a very good sense of our hotel. We strive to make this a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. Most of our front desk staff are students and they do a wonderful job at making our guests feel welcome. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Nice hotel. the breakfast was really good. Great service from staff. 24 hour coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Very nice common area with games and such for the kids. Great location for activities at the University of Utah and if you have family or friends at the hospital. Close to downtown, but up and out of the valley. Nice views. A pool would give it a 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Ask for room on west side to get view of city.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
PerryHacker, Owner at University Guest House & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

UteAlum,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We love when our Alums come back and stay with us. I'm glad you could take care of our amenities and our beautiful views of the Salt Lake Valley.

Please make sure to ask for pool passes to the Jewish Community Center on your next visit. It is just 2 minute ride on our complimentary shuttle. They have and indoor pool and hot tub and in the summer they have a great outdoor pool as well. These passes are complimentary to all guests.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in town.

Go Utes!