“My guest house stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles

University Guest House & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
“My guest house stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I will stay again and do recommend staying at the guest house. My family and I had two room. The staff was friendly and very professional. There was free parking and free continental breakfast every morning. The beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Lyonsbabe
justin_slc, Manager at University Guest House & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you had a great stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Topanga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at this property largely because of the many positive reviews on TA and also its location on the University of Utah campus. UGHCC is located on the north eastern part of the campus on Fort Douglas Boulevard next to a chapel in a residential area across from the medical school. It was cold and snowy the weekend I was there so I didn’t try walking to the main part of campus (the part with the library and bookstore) but those looked less than a mile away. There was plenty of complimentary parking in front and behind the hotel. Snow visited the area the weekend I was there but the snow plows came through.

I believe the TRAX stop and the campus shuttle stops are close by the hotel. Take note: the campus parking authority is quite vigilant as I discovered when I didn’t get my UGHCC parking permit displayed soon enough on my rental car.

My room was plenty roomy and had a microwave, college sized refrigerator, coffee maker, and flat screen TV with a full complement of cable/satellite channels. There was no thermostat that I could see so I just ran the heater unit on low heat all night and that kept the outside winter cold at bay but those sensitive to AC noise may wish to take note of the fan that had to run all night. The bathroom as fine and I had no issues with the house keeping. My check in and check out experiences were fine.

The hotel didn’t seem full that weekend and I didn’t have any issues with noise apart from noting the occasional clomp-clomp of guests in the room above mine. The hotel is smoke free and really seemed that way the weekend I was there except for the one guest just outside the lower level entrance all weekend. There is a workout room and a guest laundry but I didn’t use either.

I appreciated the complimentary hot breakfast every morning especially since there didn’t appear to be any restaurants closer than town about a mile away and it snowing outside. The buffet offered cereal, fruit, toast/bagels/muffins, different variations of omelet, French toast or these really skinny pancakes, and some kind of breakfast meat (bacon or sausage). The coffee was better than average I noticed. There is a grocery store about off campus about 2 miles away. Before we all got snowed in, I did stop by a good pizzeria but hard to find because it is below ground beneath a pharmacy.

UGHCC offers a better than basic lodging experience located on the University of Utah campus with good access to downtown Salt Lake City (about 10 minutes on surface streets). This is not the Ritz or some luxury hotel experience with tips required every few steps but a decent place for a no-nonsense, value-minded traveler to make a stop near but not in downtown Salt Lake City and on the University of Utah campus. At breakfast, I ran into an acquaintance who I found out has been coming to the campus regularly for the past year and I suspect that this person found UGHCC sufficiently a good value to be a repeat customer. When I return to Salt Lake City next spring, I expect to be a repeat customer too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank J13345
justin_slc, Manager at University Guest House & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thanks for your review. I think you covered just about everything. It is great to hear that you had a good experience. The pizza place you went to is called The Pie. It is a very popular pizza place for the college kids.
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Spent five wonderful days. Every member of the staff provided excellent service. The view is spectacular and the rooms comfortable and well appointed. Room had a fridge, microwave, Keurig, and full hair dryer. Lobby had hot breakfast, warm cookies and cider in the afternoon, and lots of board games. Full fitness center and soft spaces all over the hotel. Free wifi and a 24 convenience store provided everything you need. Train to downtown is right across the street. Management at the Hiltons and marriotts in which I've stayed recently should take lessons from these folks.

1 Thank Metsluvrnj
Thank you for your review. I think that after a week you have a very good sense of our hotel. We strive to make this a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. Most of our front desk staff are students and they do a wonderful job at making our guests feel welcome. Hope to see you again.
Payson, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Nice hotel. the breakfast was really good. Great service from staff. 24 hour coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Very nice common area with games and such for the kids. Great location for activities at the University of Utah and if you have family or friends at the hospital. Close to downtown, but up and out of the valley. Nice views. A pool would give it a 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Ask for room on west side to get view of city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PerryHacker, Owner at University Guest House & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
UteAlum,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We love when our Alums come back and stay with us. I'm glad you could take care of our amenities and our beautiful views of the Salt Lake Valley.

Please make sure to ask for pool passes to the Jewish Community Center on your next visit. It is just 2 minute ride on our complimentary shuttle. They have and indoor pool and hot tub and in the summer they have a great outdoor pool as well. These passes are complimentary to all guests.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in town.

Go Utes!

Perry Hacker
Durham, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just attended a weekend retreat at the Guest House. Setting, the mountain views are great. The "real" coffee maker, mini fridge and microwave all appreciated. Very comfortable rooms and quiet sleeping rooms. Conference rooms worked well. One of the most comfortable conference chairs that I have used in a long time. Staff very accommodating.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am glad to see a review from the perspective of someone attending a retreat/meeting here.
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Talk about customer service - this staff has it all. Everbody who works at the hotel seems to love their jobs ~ kudos to them and their manager. Great location, spacious rooms, really nice beds, linens and pillows. Excellent meeting space and technology. It will be my first choice of a hotel for future trips to SLC.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am very glad to hear that our staff delivered great customer service. Our mission statement is Complete Guest Satisfaction and we strive to reach that goal every day. We hope to see you again.
Zeeland, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

As a first time guest to the University Guest House, I was impressed from the moment I arrived. The staff at check-in was so warm and friendly. My guest room was clean, comfortable, and modern. The meeting space was state of the art. I needed to make a last minute addition to our meeting and the staff jumped to make it happen. I know the next time I head to Salt Lake, I have my place to stay!

1 Thank Heather R
Thank you for your review. I am very glad to hear that you were impressed with your first visit. I hope we can exceed your expectations again the next time you are in Salt Lake City.