“One of the most unique...”
Review of Forage - CLOSED

Forage
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Houston
“One of the most unique...”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Wow, what an unusual restaurant. We had only glanced at the menu on line and thought it was something you made choices from. But no, you get the whole thing and this is unusual food for gourmet foodies. We were surprised when the waiter asked if we were prepared for 2-3 hours. So what the heck we did it. The courses were varied and definitely unusual. Each course is very tiny so you just fill up. There was (for us that day) flower petals in broth, interesting foams, unusual fish preparations, herbs. Although we like to eat very high quality food this was a different – but very pleasurable – experience for us.

Lehi, Utah
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I know where the emperor wears his new clothes out to eat. Most of the dishes were overpowered by "smoky" flavors. Otherwise pretentious, overpriced. Though the service and attentiveness of the staff was above average, failed to compensate for a disappointing evening out.

4 Thank T J
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Visually stunning presentation, impecable service, average to uninspired tastebuds”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

How to start... I wanted to like this place. I don't profess to being a foodie but I love food of almost any kind and willing to try almost anything. The service here was impeccable- friendly, welcoming, informative, but not snooty. Every dish was visually stunning and an artform to behold. Ingredients were mostly local, seasonal, and fresh. I understood that each course were mere bites for your taste buds to experience. Food to me is an experience for all the senses. It's not an attack, but a balance mix. Perhaps because I had such high hopes from other reviewers, I was expecting to be blown away. Yet, I felt most of my dishes were oddly lacking and uninspired. It took me 5 courses before I realized what it was. Every dish hit the same area on my taste buds. Everything had the same taste trend, mostly salty, sometimes slightly sweet, a litte bit sour, and an overwhelming use of herbs from the greenhouse. Having so many courses requires that you give the diner the experience of awakening all of their taste range. Each dish should compliment each other, not compound it into an attack. There was also the problem of overcomplicating each dishes. I felt that on a lot of the dishes, restraint on the preparation methods should have been taken and let the ingredients speak for themselves (especially since they were so fresh). I kept comparing it to dishes I've had in the past elsewhere and how I would've fixed it. I didn't finish half of my dishes and my partner finished it for me out of respect for the chefs. We ended up going to another restaurant afterwards to relieve my disappointment and hunger.

2 Thank SaltLakeDweller
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Amazing - El Bulli like experience”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Step one, see the documentary El Bulli to prepare yourself for this dining experience. Step two, make reservations at Forage in Salt Lake City. Step three, be prepared to be blown away by the service and experience of Forage. Expensive? YES. Worth it. YES. Save up if you have to. An extra ordinary world class dining experience!

• Visited March 2012
Seattle
“Good but "precious" food doled out in teeny tiny bits”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Prepare to spend a long, long evening and some serious bucks ($500 for four of us) on an adventurous presentation that seems to take years and years. It's a good thing we're all great talkers. Each course is an itty bitty offering of maybe an inch or two of very tasty food, ceremoniously preceded by The Explanation (e.g. "And here, on an escarole leaf, is a reduction of a confit of rare organic snockleberries, in a tarragon/fig/cream sauce."). Meanwhile, you are hungry, and here is postage stamp after postage stamp of food. Very expensive food.

• Visited March 2012