“Needs Repairs”

Comfort Inn Downtown
Ranked #47 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at this Comfort Inn because it had a guest laundry (we have been on a road trip for a month and do laundry about every 7-10 days). Our room - No. 133 - was huge, but that was the only good thing about the hotel. The window was broken in two places and patched with scotch tape; the rug was unraveling where it abutted the bathroom tile floor; the ink/toner had run out in the printer in the "business center" and, even though we asked twice, was never replaced while we were there; there was NO HEAT in the room (temp went down to the 40s that night), and we were told the boiler had gone out and not "rebooted"; there was rust around the tub drain; the showerhead plate was coming off the wall; the showerhead would only mist around the edges and poured out the middle (not sprayed); the sheer curtain over the window had an 8" rip in it; the desk clerk was grumpy and didn't like the fact that we didn't want the room she assigned us on the street and wanted one away from the traffic; and last, the lady servicing the breakfast area (on the 2nd floor) glared at everyone, never spoke a word - but did make sure everything stayed replenished.
I brought up all of these problems when we checked out, and "Laura" was apologetic and wrote everything down on a "checklist." She also comped us one night's stay. Nice, but I still felt it wasn't worth the stay. If you don't need a laundry, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side - other Trip Advisors have made this recommendation, and I followed t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have recently undergone a management change and are working hard to correct any deficiencies. Your repair list was given to maintenance the same day and all items were repaired-I apologize that we did not correct them before you arrived. We are working hard with all of our staff to improve their performance and ensure everyone has a great stay.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in Salt Lake City while waiting to fly back home. The motel was clean and within walking distance of Temple Square (about a mile). About 2 blocks from the free downtown train. The breakfast was very good and was supplied well. The breakfast area was very nice.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the parking side rather than the street side as it will be a lot quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dennis R

Thank you for your great review! My staff works very hard to ensure a great experience. I will pass your kind words on. We are very close to Temple Square and i would recommend that everyone vist this historic site and also the great new City Creek Mall.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Simply put, it was by far the best VALUE anywhere the Salt Palace Convention center... so I rated it as "Very Good" for what it is (not what it isn't). i.e. it's NOT a high-end hotel with room service, etc. But what it IS is a quiet clean room that has been updated fairly recently and has nice amenities and very friendly staff.

The nice extras that mattered most to me included AIRPORT SHUTTLE, Wi-Fi and HOT BREAKFAST. Was the breakfast "VERY Good"? Nope, but it was more than adequate AND the other hotels in the area didn't offer it AND it saved me time every morning!

It was a quiet and comfortable room.

The only negatives were the mattress dished (sagged in the middle) just a bit, and we had ongoing trouble with our room keys.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Mark R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to hear your enjoyed your visit. Your comments are very helpful to us. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Though the hotel is on the edge and not really walking distance to most of the major attractions or adobe. But you can always catch the trax. Well to begin with besides clean /decent size rooms with a view of the city you have best staff and service. Though i love this city so do i love the breakfast and the people who manage it, particularly Darrell. Great person who will talk to you at length about anything in the city and surprise you with complimentary snacks / drinks or some special cuisine every evening.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelnall
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just stayed here last week while in town for the LDS Conference. Location is great for access to Downtown SLC, walking distance to the TRAX line. Hotel Staff was very friendly and capable. They have a large hot tub on premises that is outside of the hotel, but inside of a covered area and accessed with your room key. Breakfast buffet was excellent, with a very attentive staff member keeping everything well stocked.

As other guests have mentioned, I thought it was funny that the information book in the room stated: "We suggest you don't leave valuables in your room, leave them in your car." The next sentence said, "Don't leave anything valuable in your car.". I think what they meant was to not leave anything visible in your car, i.e. pack in in your trunk.

The surrounding neighborhood is marginal, but even the most expensive parts of Downtown SLC seem to have a significant homeless population. I was approached by 4 or 5 homeless folks in my 2 day visit to SLC.

I have nothing really negative to say about this hotel. If you want 5 star accommodations you would not have booked here to begin with, value of the product was in line with the rates charged.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TailwindJoe
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First, the positives. The staff is amazing including the wonderful people who do the breakfast! The place is clean. The beds and pillows were good. Our king-suite was VERY spacious.
Almost everything negative I have to say about the hotel has to do with it's age and location. There was a large red stain on the carpet. The bedspread was stained (a turn-off). The bath was slow to fill and not a soaker tub you can lay back in. One of our biggest issues was the noise. People coming in and out and being noisy in the hall most of the night. I know that's not the hotel's fault. It's not the greatest location, literally on the edge. Definitely don't walk anywhere after dark. Some funny instructions at the hotel said something like, "We suggest you don't leave valuables in your room, leave them in your car." The next one said, "Don't leave anything valuable in your car." lol If you stay be sure to ask for a room away from the street. It's situated funny on the property. The front of the hotel faces the back so don't say room in the back, as the front is the back, say away from the street.
They really are nice there and it IS clean so if the rest doesn't bother you be sure to stay there. But I think I'll opt to stay at a more updated place further north.

Room Tip: Away from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've traveled extensively and almost always stay at Choice Hotels...this Comfort Inn ranks right at the top for a number of reasons. First of all, the front desk lady was as nice as can be, her name is Jill. She was thorough, personable and as professional as I've seen. They have this happy hour where they offer pretty delicious snacks and wine/soft drinks. It was really good and they had this gentleman who worked it by the name of Darrel. He treats you like you're in a restaurant, even better than some restaurant service. Make sure and leave him a nice tip, he's worth it...and a super nice guy too! The breakfast was outstanding....I also loved my room. Jill set me up in a great room, very clean and fresh...great huge TV, spacious and much more than I expected...I will be back for sure, if only all the Comfort Inns were like this one....also the location is perfect, right in the heart of the downtown area....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business