“Friendly Staff”

Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Charlotte, NC
“Friendly Staff”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just stayed here last week while in town for the LDS Conference. Location is great for access to Downtown SLC, walking distance to the TRAX line. Hotel Staff was very friendly and capable. They have a large hot tub on premises that is outside of the hotel, but inside of a covered area and accessed with your room key. Breakfast buffet was excellent, with a very attentive staff member keeping everything well stocked.

As other guests have mentioned, I thought it was funny that the information book in the room stated: "We suggest you don't leave valuables in your room, leave them in your car." The next sentence said, "Don't leave anything valuable in your car.". I think what they meant was to not leave anything visible in your car, i.e. pack in in your trunk.

The surrounding neighborhood is marginal, but even the most expensive parts of Downtown SLC seem to have a significant homeless population. I was approached by 4 or 5 homeless folks in my 2 day visit to SLC.

I have nothing really negative to say about this hotel. If you want 5 star accommodations you would not have booked here to begin with, value of the product was in line with the rates charged.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TailwindJoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First, the positives. The staff is amazing including the wonderful people who do the breakfast! The place is clean. The beds and pillows were good. Our king-suite was VERY spacious.
Almost everything negative I have to say about the hotel has to do with it's age and location. There was a large red stain on the carpet. The bedspread was stained (a turn-off). The bath was slow to fill and not a soaker tub you can lay back in. One of our biggest issues was the noise. People coming in and out and being noisy in the hall most of the night. I know that's not the hotel's fault. It's not the greatest location, literally on the edge. Definitely don't walk anywhere after dark. Some funny instructions at the hotel said something like, "We suggest you don't leave valuables in your room, leave them in your car." The next one said, "Don't leave anything valuable in your car." lol If you stay be sure to ask for a room away from the street. It's situated funny on the property. The front of the hotel faces the back so don't say room in the back, as the front is the back, say away from the street.
They really are nice there and it IS clean so if the rest doesn't bother you be sure to stay there. But I think I'll opt to stay at a more updated place further north.

Room Tip: Away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pamela M
los angeles
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've traveled extensively and almost always stay at Choice Hotels...this Comfort Inn ranks right at the top for a number of reasons. First of all, the front desk lady was as nice as can be, her name is Jill. She was thorough, personable and as professional as I've seen. They have this happy hour where they offer pretty delicious snacks and wine/soft drinks. It was really good and they had this gentleman who worked it by the name of Darrel. He treats you like you're in a restaurant, even better than some restaurant service. Make sure and leave him a nice tip, he's worth it...and a super nice guy too! The breakfast was outstanding....I also loved my room. Jill set me up in a great room, very clean and fresh...great huge TV, spacious and much more than I expected...I will be back for sure, if only all the Comfort Inns were like this one....also the location is perfect, right in the heart of the downtown area....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HandsumMuscle
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed in the hotel while attending a conference at the Salt Lake Convention Center. We were late registering for the conference, so this was one of the very few hotels to still have open rooms.

The hotel itself is clean, well lit, and well cared for. The staff was very polite and helpful. The location is just a few blocks from the convention center... about a 10-15 minute walk.

Best part of the stay was the gentlemen who mans the breakfast and cocktail hour at the hotel. He does a phenomenal job, is very helpful and takes an extreme amount of pride in his work. He was absolutely fantastic, going WAY ABOVE the confines of his job description to make sure people were happy and satisfied. If I had a small business in the area, I'd offered him a job on the spot. Fantastic employee for the company.

Another positive... coffee machine, refigerator, and microwave in each room.

The issues I have with the hotel that make it difficult for me to rate this hotel....

1) The air conditioner in my room did not work. In fact, I think it just made the room hotter from running non-stop without pushing cold air. The room was 85 degrees with the air on. Not good. Another member of our party had the same issue with his room. My room had a window, so I just shut the air off and opened the window. The other person's room however, did not have a window that could open (most do not) so this was an issue for him. To be fair, neither of us contacted the front desk, which I'm sure would have taken care of the situation. But I mention it here, because, despite it's cleanliness, I think there is some aging/wear and tear on the hotel starting to show through.

2) This hotel is on the dividing line between the better end of town and a rough neighborhood. In fact the back half of the block and parking lot is shared with another hotel that definitely not as nice as the Comfort Inn and there was a lot of late night activity and yelling from the people staying there. I would not recommend walking the direction behind the building.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank OutdoorValleyForge
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I, like another reviewer, stayed here while attending a conference at the Sheraton across the road. Although the Sheraton was only $10 more a night, they didn't offer breakfast, so I opted for the Comfort Inn. I wish I hadn't. I had the most uncomfortable night I think I've ever had in a hotel.

Firstly, the hallways are musty. When I smell that, I think mold. Secondly, the room was hotter than a sauna, with no way to cool it down. I was on the ground floor with a room facing the car park so my window was screwed shut. Because it was below freezing outside the AC didn't work, and not realizing that I couldn't cool the room down until I was ready for bed, I spent a sleepless night bathed in my own sweat. I would have mentioned this at checkout, but the woman didn't ask me how my stay was.

The bed was comfortable, but the bedspreads on both beds were covered in cigarette burns - I HATE bedspreads (they never look or smell clean) and I threw it off the bed. Not that I needed it - it was like staying on the sun in my room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank viksterCa
Milpitas, California
Reviewed January 4, 2013

It is nice, clean Inn. Breakfast was normal nothing fancy. They have rooms facing to road and parking lot. You would like to stay away from road. I got the room close to roadside, since it was Christmas night traffic was low.
Staff was good and knows the area very well.

Room Tip: Room facing to parking lot
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pine, Arizona
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We were very pleasantly surprised to have this motel far better than we were expecting. Our room was more than fairly priced. Although we didn't request anything special, the room was very large with couch, lounge chair, desk, excellant television, coffee table, etc. The lighting was restful. The bed and linens were of very good quality. The room and the common rooms were exceptionally clean and well maintained. The breakfast area was very clean and the breakfast was good. The staff were very pleasant and efficient. Our stay was for two nights and the hallways were quiet. We will most certainly stay here on future trips to the Salt Lake City area!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family