“Great Value”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Value”
Reviewed January 11, 2010

This hotel was a great value with free breakfast and new rooms and facilities, including a heated pool and a small gym with nice cardio equipment and some free weights. The front desk was slightly understaffed (as the previous reviewer reported), but extremely helpful and friendly. There's not much around it, but i would definitely stay here again if I had to stay near the SLC airport!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 7, 2010

This hotel opened in 2009 is a ground-up built Hyatt Place located about a ten minute drive from the airport. The biggest positive was the cleanliness of the rooms.

During my stay several issues were encountered:

1. The hotel was understaffed when I checked in. One person was working a line of four people checking in. That said, the process itself was fast.

2. The hotel has a snack / food / bar area. They were out of all pepsi, diet pepsi, iced tea, milk, or large water products. They were stocked with Red Bull, Amp and Mountain Dew. The food was fine, but slow. The same person takes the orders and fills the wine as checks in guests and answers the phone. Although floors have an alcove for "Ice/Vending", it should just say "Ice"

3. Billed as an airport hotel with a shuttle parked immediately outside the front door, this hotel was not able to get us to the airport for an early morning flight. Instead, they made cab arrangements.

4. Internet access at the two PC's for printing boarding passes, checking email, etc was excruciatingly slow. I did not try the wireless, although they are said to have it.

5. There were several TV's down in the small bar / breakfast area, but all of them were set with no volume, scrolling through the weather channel cycle while people waited 15 minutes for food. I would suggest putting on basic content, even just national news channels, and turning up so that people have something to listen to. All you could hear was a very loud refrigeration unit under the TV by the bar. That adds to the depression in this remote off-airport location.

6. No bar soap in the room. No real creamer.

7. The HVAC unit in the room was set to "Fan On" (permanently), which I was able to change by getting the temp control panel open. It's less than two feet from the bed with a strong blowing air, so that setting is not appropriate.

The Hyatt Place concept is nice in terms of room layout, with the centerpiece being a nice large TV viewable from the living or sleeping area. It's quite functional and pleasant with the large couches. Take the traveler input that went into designing that room and apply it to the day-to-day livability of the space in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This is a modern, extremely clean, and very well equipped hotel. The room was spacious and I appreciated the corner sofa. The bathroom was lacking a tub (just had a large shower stall), but otherwise was fine. The room featured a very large (52"?) LCD TV that swiveled so it could be viewed from either the bed or the sofa. There were also ports and connection so you could theoretically plug your laptop into the TV. (I didn't try this, but it was a neat idea.)

The high speed Internet worked well, and was reasonably quick. (It was a little slower depending on the time of day.) I like the coffee that was provided in the room. The bed was very comfortable, with lots of pillows.

The windows were a little odd - they started high on the wall (shoulder height for me, I'm 5'4"), so I felt like I was in a basement, although I was on the 2nd floor. The view was also not much to look at since it was right by the airport.

The rate didn't include breakfast, but there were cafe offerings for purchase downstairs, in addition to what was apparently more breakfast fare. I didn't try any of it.

I took a look at the fitness center and it looked quite nice with several pieces of cardio equipment and free weights. There was also a pool. I didn't use that either.

The staff was very friendly. When I first checked in I noticed the TV in my room wasn't working correctly. I called to let them know and within minutes a maintenance man was there to take a look at the problem. (I'd barely gotten off the phone with the woman downstairs when he was knocking.) Apparently there wasn't an easy solution so he said they could move me to another room if I still had the problem. I called downstairs and a woman came up very quickly with keys to the knew room (right next door). The new room had no issues whatsoever.

I would highly recommend this hotel. The only cons were that it's not really near anything of note, except the airport, there's no view, and there's no breakfast. I was on a road trip so all I wanted was some place to relax and sleep and it was perfect for that.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank AmandaTravels
England
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I was put up in this hotel by Delta Airlines when delays meant that I could not make a connecting flight (and Delta was superb as regards assistance in this). I found the size and quality of the room considerably higher than one would normally expect with an airport hotel largely used by transit passengers - it was more a suite than a room, with a separate sitting and wok area partly screened off from the sleeping area. It would have been ideal for a longer stay and I was sorry that I was there for one night only. There were however two drawbacks: (i) I couldn’t work out how to manage the lights - the switch at the door seemed to control all the lights, and those by the bedside seemed inoperative and (ii) though there was a gigantic flat-screen TV I couldn’t use it as there was no remote control provided. I informed the reception of this in the morning via the very friendly shuttle driver who took me back to the airport - I had been too tired to do so the night before. My only really negative comment relates to the reception staff who were in general on the brusque side and less than friendly, though not openly discourteous. This was a pity as it detracts from what otherwise seems to be a quite superb hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Isidore
KMc-Florida
Reviewed October 28, 2009

This brand new hotel has it all, but most importantly, the friendly, competent staff went out of their way to accommodate us on short notice. I wish my bed at home was as comfortable as theirs and their luxurious pillows were heaven to snuggle under. A wonderful array of fruits, pastries, breads, yogurts, cereals, tea, juices and coffee were available at 6am too. From the shuttle drivers, desk clerks and management...this was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. I will be staying there any time I go to Salt Lake City.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank KMc-Florida
Panama City, FL
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We ended up at Hyatt Place after an airline snafu. The hotel was a royal treat! It is brand new (just opened Sept. 09) and everything was immaculate. The decor is modern and inviting. The staff was superb and went out of their way to offer hospitality. We were tired and distressed after a long, futile, go-round with the airline but this wonderful hotel and their even more-wonderful staff made it a pleasure to have missed our flight!

We stayed in a large executive-style suite, with a comfortable sectional sofa, a desk and refrig. in a spacious sitting area. The large screen HD TV was smartly positioned to be viewed from the couch or the two queen sized beds. The beds were comfortable, with down comforters and five pillows per bed. Also had free-wifi in room. In the morning, they had complimentary coffee, tea, juices and a selection of breakfast items (toast, bagels, cereals, fruit, yogurt,) in a dining area near the lobby.

We are already planning a trip back to Salt Lake and will stay here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
AZ
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We (3 of us on business) wound up at the Hyatt SLC Airport because the Courtyard at Marriott nearby overbooked their hotel for the night. It turned out this Hyatt was brand-spankin' new - it had been open all of 6 days when we stayed there (Sept'09) - so obviously everything was new & very clean.

Inside the decor is very hip/ cool/ modern. I wish my house looked like it! It feels like a cool lounge inside the main entry way.

Our rooms were very nicely decorated, had a huge LG LCD flat-screen tv. They had the radios with the aux/iPod connection clock radios, which I love. The rooms themselves were good sized too. Comfortable beds.

Staff was very friendly, helpful, polite. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was very good too.

The location is fantastic; it's literally the first exit off the airport and there are many businesses nearby. I believe the internet hookup in the room was free (don't quote me on that though).

One minor complaint - there are no real restaurants nearby - not the hotel's fault on that one though. I did not eat dinner there, but one of my co-workers said the food was just ok, nothing great. Someone should open an Outback Steakhouse nearby for all the hotels in the area; they'd make a killing!

If you're staying in the area, I highly recommend Hyatt Airport. It's brand new (Sept'09) and very cool.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business