“Ho hum for a Hyatt Place”

Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I have high regards for Hyatt Place as a mid of the road self-serve hotel and use it often during my business travel. Unfortunately, this Hyatt Place is one fo the worst that I have visited, and I have been to many. The property itself is new so everything is fairly nice but service quality is a good notch below average at best.

Due to its close proximity to SLC Airport and the area business park, breakfast can be a crazy time and so is late arrivals. I arrived around 7pm, checked at the front desk (took forever because the Kiosk was down), dropped off my stuff in the room and went off to a dinner meeting with a customer. I returned to the hotel at 11pm and after being in the room for a good hour while check emails, I heard some weird sound in the hallway. Turns out, someone delivered a note to my room. As a token of welcome for being a Diamond member, the hotel wanted to offer me a free appetizer or drink at the lobby lounge. At 12 midnight ?!?!?!?!?! If they really meant it, why not present the offer to me at 7pm during my check-in? If i was in bed by 12, i would have been waken by the noise...

Next morning, things didn't get better. I showed up for breakfast around 8am, hoping it was more than enough time to have a quick bite and make my meeting at 9am in a business park just down the street from the hotel, but NO! Virtually every breakfast item was empty, no breads, no bagels, no fruits, no yogurt, just some near-empty juice containers. And yes, no staff to be found. I figured they were busy trying to refill the items in the kitchen. 20 minutes gone by, still no food replenishment. I was getting a little concerned but thought I would use my "free appetitzer/snack coupon" for a muffin and call it breakfast, but no, I can't find a staff. The only person working the front desk was busy checking people out. Fine, I will have some coffee, but NO, all 4 coffee thermals were empty. I finally stuck my head into the kitchen and request they refill the coffee. I also mentioned there was no cream and sweetners left. 10 minutes later, the coffee showed up but then there was no coffee cups because they ran out of clean glassware, so some guests were using the coffee cups for juice and water. Bascially, I had to request cups, cream, sweetner, one-by-one. The staff didn't care enough or have any common sense to check and refill these items when she brought out the coffee.

I mentioned my concerns to the check out staff, but she gave me an excuse that "we are really busy in the morning". What an attitude! Vritually all the Hyatt Places are located near airports and business parks. Every other location has to deal with morning breakfast rush as people starts their day, what makes this hotel so special?

In conclusion, the property is new so the rooms are nice and clean, but service, wait, what service?!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed May 28, 2011

Unexpected delight! Our room had a sitting area that was separated from the bedroom by an Oriental screen. It was decorated beautifully, and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. Internet access was easy. We might have been close to the airport, but we never felt it. All was quiet. We drove out from there to see the Salt Lake, and we even found the Morton salt factory. We had spent 10 days in Utah and were on our way out, and this was a relaxing way to finish our stay. Highly recommended....

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Excellent front desk service, even after we used self check out. We also had a problem at checkout when I saw a charge on my hotel tab, which was incorrect, the front desk, after 15 minutes, solved the problem and cleared the bill. Always check your bill on exit to make sure there are no erroneous charges.

Room Tip: room layout was excellent
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I know this type of hotel is geared to the business traveler, but, wow, I wish there were more of these around! It's very convenient to the airport, but that's it. We stayed there because we had an early morning flight; we probably wouldn't have stayed there otherwise. Clean! Huge rooms! Great decor! Unbelievable breakfast!
I kind of wish we were there longer since being there was vacation enough. Now, if we can only get them to build these, with these rates, closer to in-town attractions.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We selected this hotel for a mini-week-end vacation, and it was an excellent choice. We were particularly pleased with the staff. Our check-in took less than five minutes, and the configuration of rooms we requested, one room with two beds, one room with king bed and adjoining doors, was exactly as we expected.

The young man at the desk was efficient and exceptionally personable and made us feel right at home even before we got to our rooms. Later in the evening, while looking for a treat for our grandson he made fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies that were delicious. He seemed to be genuinely concerned for our comfort, and this personable service is somewhat rare in hotels these days.

The rooms are wonderful. There is essentially a two room concept with a L-Shaped sofa, desk and bar with refrigerator in the first room, and a bed and sink in the second room. There is a large flat screen TV that rotates from room to room so you can watch it in either location. These large spacious rooms provided plenty of space for our active grandson to move around, and lots of seats for the adults to watch and relax, particularly when we opened the connecting doors.

The swimming pool is a huge attraction for winter vacations in Utah, and we were not disappointed. The pool was warm, and the room in which it was located was also very warm. It was clean and did not have a heavy chlorine smell. Our grandson swam every morning and evening, and would probably have stayed during the day if we had not lured him out.

There is a nice exercise room for those who are sufficiently dedicated to maintain a work-out routine while traveling. The hotel also provides a small business area, which is useful for printing boarding passes and checking your email. The Wi-fi service in the guest rooms was great for those of us with our laptops.

The Hyatt Place offers a unique food service. They have a limited menu available 24 hours/day. I do not know how they manage this because I think that the desk clerk also prepares the food. I do know that the hamburger and tomato soup are good enough to compete with any restaurant. They also have a nice free breakfast in the morning.

Both the public areas and the guest rooms are tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean. The beds are comfortable. There is an ample supply of hot water, and the temperature controls for the room worked well.

We generally select hotels near the airport because most of our stays involve either arriving or leaving from Salt Lake. We had rooms on the fourth floor facing the interstate, but we did not hear any air or automobile traffic. Our daughter enjoyed swimming in the glassed-in pool at night and watching the planes fly directly over-head as they landed, but there was no noise. Overall, we really like the location of this hotel. It is convenient to the airport, and also easy to reach city center.

I cannot imagine anything this hotel could do to improve the experience for a guest. It has now become our new hotel of choice when visiting Salt Lake City.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Busy-retired
Reviewed January 23, 2011

New large clean rooms, a great staff and conveniently located. What more do I need to say.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank traveler1972_10
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We stayed at this Hyatt Place the night before our flight out of Salt Lake City. It was very convenient to the airport, and very new. The outside surrounding area is anything but remarkable. It is next to large highway, airport runways, and is the last in a series of extended stay-type hotels in a large business complex area. I recommend asking for a room on the quiet side of the building--away from the highway and runways.
The staff was very busy, multitasking--manning the desk, preparing foods for the light meals, etc., checking in/out, doing courtesy runs to the airport. They handled things well, however, and were very friendly, esp. the driver.
We had a problem when I was stung by a wasp that apparently was in the room. I was a little nervous about the sting, but we treated it right away and watched. We asked for help cleaning the mess I made since I was eating when I got stung, and the food went flying. They were right there...asking if I needed to go to a doctor, looking for the wasp, and being generally very solicitous--especially the maintenance mgr. Ultimately, we were given a new room, meal vouchers, etc. Unfortunately, the room we switched to was on the noisy side.
The breakfast was okay, but the staff was harried and rushed in the morning, so it was set up a little at a time, which was sort of disconcerting.
While we were waiting for the shuttle in the morning, a limo pulled up to transport a quite famous actress--she didn't stand out, wasn't pretentious, dressed simply, all of which endeared her to me even more. I figure, if this place is good enough for her, it's certainly good enough for me. The staff remembered her from a previous visit and were polite, but not gushy.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple