“So-so food with inconsistent service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of J. Wongs Asian Bistro

J. Wongs Asian Bistro
Ranked #180 of 1,379 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 200 West
Transit: We are located Downtown nearby many Train and Bus routes.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So-so food with inconsistent service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

After years of walking by this place my wife and I decided to try it. We were attending symphony that evening and jwongs is located very conveniently to both Abravenel hall and Capitol Theatre. Only a couple reviewers are accurate though. This place doesn't come close to best of Chinatown restaurants in NY, Boston, San Francisco and London. (except in atmosphere) In terms of food taste it is average for Salt Lake area. We started with the lettuce wraps which were very fresh but overly seasoned with a soy reduction leaving them much too salty. For the main course we ordered the Honey Walnut Shrimp which was delicately seasoned. (Not as phenomenal as same item at Asian Star in Midvale/Sandy, but not as sweet/rich either which can be a good thing depending on your tastes). We also had the house specialty Tangerine Chicken. This dish was served far too cool for our preferences. The waiter did not enquire on our satisfaction with the dish until 10 minutes after serving us the main course or we would have sent it back (limited time window due to our later plans at the symphony). When He did stop by to inquire on satisfaction with meal we let him know. Management was very friendly about it and explained that they had waited for honey walnut shrimp dish to be ready before bringing out the chicken and that was why it was cold. They also insisted on bringing us out free dessert which was nice. My wife's banana and ice cream consisted of a single slice of banana about 3/4 inch long and 1/3 inch thick wrapped in crunchy won ton wrapper that had the appearance of a piece of tissue paper wrapped around a dum-dum sucker to look like a ghost. (with 2 tablespoons of ice cream on the side). My chocolate bundt cake was much more substantial and I shared it with my wife so she could enjoy a little more dessert than her small amuse-bouche. To be fair the somewhat bland tangerine chicken grew on me after a while and I would give them a second chance to sample their Peking Duck or panang (curry) salmon. However, the wait must continue for excellent Chinese in the Salt Lake valley.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Richmond, Virginia
“Fantastic Asian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

As tired skiers, we ordered take-out from J. Wongs last week. Because of the extensive menu, I was able to get my Thai Panang curry, and my husband ordered his favorite Chinese twice-cooked pork. Both were large portions, and were delicious. We also ordered the sautéed green beans, which I requested be Szechuan style--fantastic! My husband picked up the order and said the restaurant looked very nice for eating there. I sure wish I could take this restaurant home to Virginia with us!

Burnt Hills, New York
“Very good, as spicy as you can take”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Went to dinner with wife and daughter, no reservation required. Appetizers (soup and pot stickers) were very tasty and well presented. My wife had drunken noodles with tofu, which she found OK, but too much soy. I had drunken noodles with pork, and asked for extra spicy. It was extremely spicy, like the hottest thing I had ever eaten, and I like spice. All the prices were reasonable, and the local draft beer was quite tasty. Service was also very good, so overall, we were quite happy, but not ecstatic. Would like to try again with different menu items.

Visited February 2013
Los Angeles, CA
“Good Chinese in these parts exists.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Who knew there was decent Chinese food in these parts? Great lunch specials, fairly authentic and fresh ingredients. I loved the wonton noodle soup. Wow. Delicious for these parts! And our service was commendable. I appreciated the attention we got and how attentive the server was though not totally necessary. Overall a great experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Good Chinese in SLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here a couple of times & the food has always been good. Even on a night where the place is packed with people from the outdoor show you never have to wait long for your meal.
Menu is interesting with some things I hadn't seen elsewhere & I like that you can have brown rice as an option.