“Hyatt Place never lets us down!”

Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
NV
“Hyatt Place never lets us down!”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I was comped a room at a Hyatt Place in another city and was so impressed that when we planned our overnight trip to SLC, the Hyatt Place was at the top of my list. I was absolutely not disappointed. I traveled with my 12-year-old step-daughter and she thought we must be rich! The room was very sleek and modern. The HUGE tv was a hit with her. The great high speed internet connection was a hit with me. The beds (especially the incredible pillows) are very comfortable. The Hyatt Place has GREAT sandwhiches that are made fresh in their facility - not prepackaged and frozen. This hotel is close to great shopping. One downfall is that their pool is outdoors, so it's closed about half of the year due to the weather. I also wasn't very happy about paying for parking. My thought is that I'm already paying for the room... so charge people who aren't hotel guests to use the parking area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Logan, Utah
Reviewed May 18, 2010

This place is the most convenient, wonderful hotel in SLC. This was our second time staying at the Hyatt Place Downtown and we have never encountered a problem. First, our room was $71.20 a night on the weekend (book directly through Hyatt). Where else in SLC can you find a $70 per night hotel that isn’t dump? Second, it’s right at Gateway. If you love to shop, don’t stay anywhere else. Rooms were clean and modern. Service was helpful and friendly. When we travel to SLC, this Hyatt will always be our destination.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We choose to stay at this hotel every time we have a layover or visit family in the Salt Lake Area. The rooms are great with a sectional sofa in the "living room", small kitchen area with frig, and great bed with a swivel flat screen that can be seen from both areas. This is a new hotel and we stayed here in July 2009 for a wedding, but ended up coming in earlier due to a serious accident... the hotel staff bent over backwards to help us, even carrying in my grandson and bringing things up to our rooms. We were a little shook up and they offered warm chocolate chip cookies to the kids! My daughter had a neck injury and after she commented on how nice the pillow were, they found NEW ones for us, which I gratefully purchased for her.

They have a nice breakfast buffet and you can order additional items, and they have a nice snack bar with cookies, bars, and other treats, including hot chocolate. They are only 2 blocks from Temple Square and 1 block from the Tram and Gateway Mall. Very conveniently located if you don't have a car....

The wedding party went smoothly with lots of help from the Staff again. Christmas was no exception... again the Staff made suggestions, gave the kids treats, and remembered our names!! What can I say? We LOVE this hotel! They make you feel welcomed!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed at this hotel after going to a concert. Our check-in process was a breeze - for some reason the express kiosk wouldn't let me check in, but I think that was because my room was pre-paid and the hotel needed an open credit card for incidental expenses. Anyway, the process was still very quick.
The hotel was very nice and location is excellent - we walked to dinner, to the concert, and back to the hotel.
The room was spacious, clean, and exactly what we needed.
The best thing about this hotel was the staff. Again - front desk staff upon check in was efficient and friendly. When we returned to the hotel after midnight, another staff member let us in, made us coffee and warmed up a cookie for us. Very accommodating and happy to help.
You can tell this hotel is designed for business travelers, but still suited us just fine for our needs. Tip: Book in advance, because the price got higher as we got closer to our date. I was going to book the hotel about a month in advance and would've saved about $20 if I had. I still have no complaints for what we spent and had a great time - I will definitely stay at this hotel again. I have heard the same of Hyatt's like this in other locations, as well.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Alaska
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I have had good experiences overall staying at Hyatt hotels, especially Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Summerfield Suites. The Hyatt Place is not to my liking. The bathroom/sink area is oddly situated directly at the foot of the bed, which makes it very uncomfortable and disruptive to sleep if someone has to get up in the middle of the night. The toilet/shower area is behind a door but the sink area is right there at the end of the bed. The food in the breakfast buffet is most basic and don't bother ordering and paying for hot food. It is poorly prepared and not worth the money. My husband ordered eggs and I ordered french toast with bacon and both tasted as if they were frozen and reheated. Blech. The staff was very nice and the rooms are somewhat quiet and comfortable but unfortunately the odd room layout is too uncomfortable for my liking. We paid a convention rate so it wasn't too bad of a deal but I would never pay full rate for this type of room - I would expect much more than I saw during my stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Salt Lake City
Reviewed January 13, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Place Hotel shortly after its completion in 2009. I was very pleased with the amenities and the friendly staff. The overall design of the new hotel is very nice. I was very impressed with the decorating in the rooms as well as the lobby. Hyatt's signature continental breakfasts definitely is a bonus. I'm always leery of freebies but found Hyatt's to be exceptional.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Salt Lake, whether it be for business or leisure. The hotel is located at The Gateway which is Salt Lake's largest retail/shopping center. The Gateway has 16 full service restaurants, movie theaters and plenty of shopping.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
World Citizen
Reviewed December 2, 2009

The Good: This is a modern, clean hotel with exceptionally friendly staff members. The room was nicely decorated, with a seating area somewhat separated from the sleeping area, a large flat-screen TV viewable from both areas, and a novel audio-visual panel in the wall that allows one to hook up components (such as iPods) in a breeze. The room featured free Wifi, and spare electrical plugs were easy to find (having been conveniently located above furniture level which saves guests from having to scavenge on hands & knees behind the couch to find a free outlet). A copy of the Wall Street Journal was delivered to the room each morning. The hotel is located next to the terrific Gateway Mall, which made for easy runs to Starbucks, etc. Self-parking in a lot behind the hotel is simple and costs $10. Snack foods are available from the front desk until midnight, and complimentary continental breakfast is available in the lobby in the morning.

The Not-So-Good: Our room lacked an in-room safe and had no tub (only a stand-up shower). The heating/AC unit was situated in an exterior wall in such a way that made for a noticeable draft of outdoor air, which put the room a little on the chilly side, even with the heat on. The heating/AC unit oscillated between on & off intermittently through the night, which ultimately made me decide to sleep with earplugs.

The Thumbs Up: I suspect the problem with the draft from the heating/AC unit was unique to our room. We mentioned the problem to the front desk staff upon check out, and they vowed to have the problem examined by maintenance. Kudos to the staff for asking how they could make things right for us, even though we were already on our way out the door.

Bottom Line: The hotel has a bit of an "express" feel to it, but it incorporates most of what you need while traveling, and the friendliness of the staff is far above the average for a hotel of its class.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business