“Just OK for downtown and close to the Gateway”

Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The one problem with this Hyatt is that it is dark. The rooms, typical of the Hyatt Place are of good size, but the one window is small and on the east side does not get much sun being hidden by the adjacent buildings. Front desk staff were all young and everyone was exceptionally nice and accommodating. Breakfast was enjoyable but that area did not get cleaned up both mornings we were there and then housekeeping forgot to come back to our room in the afternoon. Very convenient to the Gateway right next door and the hotel is easy to find in an area with not too much traffic. Parking is around back at $10.00/day in a secured lot. An OK stay...

Room Tip: On the west side where the view is more open and there is more sun. Ask for a room on the top floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken P
HPSaltLakeCityGenMgr, Manager at Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay at The Hyatt Place Downtown. I am glad you liked the location next to The Gateway Mall. If your travels bring you back, please request a room on the West side as there is a lot more light on that side of the building. Thank you for the compliment on my staff, I will be sure to share it with them. I will also address the lack of breakfast clean up with the staff, I am sure it was an unusually busy breakfast as the staff typically does a great job clearing and cleaning.

I hope you give us another try the next time you are in Salt Lake City.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Location is quite ok, but the room I got was really crappy - at street level with loud noice from cars, trams and people, keeping me awake. The room also feels like an aquarium when people pass by and can look inside.
Breakfast buffet is very simple, with limited variety to choose from, and you have to remove your own dishes.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. If your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City, please contact me and I will pre-block you in a room on the higher floors to avoid outside street noise. I hope that you encountered friendly and helpful staff and other than the street noise, I hope you enjoyed the large room and the layout.

Thank you again for your time and I hope that you give us another try if you visit the area again.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night at the HP. Great location, easy access to airport and convenient parking. Checkin was a breeze and very friendly. Love the free wifi and the morning bkfst.
The rooms are very large and bed is comfortable.
About the only thing that was a little off was that the walls/floors were a bit thin so I could hear the comings and goings if neighbors.

Perhaps a different room would have had different sonics.

Otherwise, very nice hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
HPSaltLakeCityGenMgr, General Manager at Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed our location, we are very fortunate to be either right next to great entertainment options like The Gateway, The Depot and The Energy Solutions Arena or a short TRAX ride to other attractions like City Creek and The Mormon Temple. Now that the TRAX line is up and running you can hop on at the airport and not even rent a car!

I hope that if your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City that you once again choose The Hyatt Place!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My first stay at this hotel. I usually stay at the Grand America when in Salt Lake, but it was unavailable this trip. All staff were very friendly, professional and helpful. The hotel was immaculate and my room was large and very comfortable. There is not a better location in the city for a hotel. Everything, fine dining shops and the EnergySolutions Arena (Jazz) are right next to the hotel. This would definitely be my first choice the next time I'm in Salt Lake City.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
HPSaltLakeCityGenMgr, General Manager at Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay, so happy to hear that you find The Hyatt Place a great place to stay!

We really do have exceptional staff here that go out of their way to make sure guests have a memorable stay. I agree, we really do have one of the best locations, and there is so much to do when you stay here.

Thank you for making The Hyatt Place your hotel of choice for your next visit!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I picked the Hyatt because the hotel hosting my conference was completely booked and the Hyatt was the shortest walk. I was a little hesitant because I have ALWAYS gone with upscale Marriotts, and this was my first time in a Hyatt.

This is where I will stay from now on when visiting SLC. The price was awesome, and when my husband and I walked into the room we both looked at each other and smile. It was soooo nice! My husband is not a hotel person and this was the first time that he said he actually felt like hanging out in the hotel room because of how inviting it felt.

The free breakfast was a wonderful perk. Both warm and cold options, not your "typical" limited options like juice and donuts.

We didn't get to try the pool, but everything else was above our expectations.

*Also, the sofa was not your typical hotel sofa. It was more like a sectional, and was very roomy and comfy. I could have slept on it if necessary.

2  Thank kmanscill

Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting about your recent stay at the Hyatt Place Downtown!

I am so happy the host hotel was full so that you and your husband could try out Hyatt!

I really love the brand and the concept of home away from home, from the layout of the rooms (with the L shape couch and 42 inch TV) to our many food options. We really try to go out of our way here to provide an exceptional stay and I am so happy to hear that you will be coming back!

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay, I look forward tohaving you stay with us again.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I came to Salt Lake with my daughter to watch Disney on Ice at Energy Solutions Arena and decided to make it an overnighter. We chose the Hyatt Place because of its location to ESA and The Gateway Mall. The hotel was beautiful and the staff (especially Matt at the front desk) were very nice and helpful. There was free parking in the back, and easy access to trax. The room was very spacious, and the beds were great and comfortable. We enjoyed our stay here very much and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Salt Lake City

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a post about the Hyatt Place Downtown!

I love our location and I am glad you loved it too and found it convenient. There is so much to do right around us and then it's just a walk across the street to Disney On Ice. (I took my kids this time too and it was a great show).

I will make sure to pass on your kind words about Matt, he will be happy to hear he made a difference in your stay!

Thank you again for taking the time to let me (and travelers) know about your recent stay.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Well I have stayed at many Hyatt Hotels, and aside from the friendly staff who were always very helpfully and considerate, I was not overly impressed with the hotel. this was more the result of the design and location, than anything else. Unless you are going to attend a Jazz game, the hotel is just a bit off the beaten path to the city core. As I was attending a conference, I found the daily back and forth to be a bit much. I was not overly impressed with the room layout, not suited for business travelers. work desk was in a corner of the room, closet was very small and difficult to get access, and I have never liked the bathroom sink in the main room, why do they do this? Every now and then, I would get a musty smell from the shower, dont know why, but I did. Did ot really like the location of the room, mainfloor outside the front entrance - noisy . Sorry to say this folks, but the cafe/food was not all that it was cracked up to be? It was nice to have it on site, but that was about it. It was also nice to have a small bar in the hotel, but not good when you keep running out of stock? what gives with that? But on the good side, tylical Hyatt bed, very comfortable, room was clean, internet access worked good and easy to connect. something tells me, there were better rooms in the hotel, than the room that I was given?

Room Tip: do not accept a room on the main floor overlooking the main entrance
1  Thank Good_time_Ahead

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at the Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Downtown. I am happy you were pleased with the friendly staff.

As stated we are not I the core of downtown but we are just 3 blocks away and with a short (free) TRAX ride you are in the heart of downtown in minutes. Currently there are only 2 hotels in the heart of downtown due to the lack of space to build more.

Although our rooms are much larger than most hotel rooms (our 2 bed suites are 420 square feet), I am sorry the layout wasn't quite right for your stay. I will make sure to talk to the Food and Beverage Manager regarding running out of items as that should never happen.

Should you choose to give us another chance, you should try a higher floor and a corner room as they have a different lay out.

Thank you again for your comments.