New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown

Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Federal Way, Washington
“Perfect Location and Great People!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Located right by Energy Solutions Arena and plenty of great restaurants/shopping at the Gateway. Close freeway access and 7 top ski resorts are within 45 minutes drive. Staff are super friendly and went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. Rooms are clean and spacious with nice modern furniture. We love this place and go back every year for our annual ski trip to SLC!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I booked this hotel through hotel.com, paid in full for a King bed room. When I checked in at 7 pm, the staff at the counter told me that all king rooms were sold out. I showed her the voucher and said that it was not what I booked for. She said she could give me a room with two queen beds. I was puzzled and asked,"But I paid in full for a king room". She said,"but all the king rooms were sold out. I could give you a queen room with two beds". Then, she stared at me silently with a "take it or leave" attitude. Yes, I know there was nothing she could do if she sold my king room to another customer for whatever reason. She, however, could have apologized for the mistake of the hotel or said something nice to comfort me. I have stayed in over 100 hotels in my life. This was the rudest customer representative I have ever encountered. I have also stayed in the Hyatt Place Hotel in three other major U.S. cities; I have never had such a bad experience.

So I got my queen room reluctantly. When I opened the door, there was a strong smell of some herbal air freshener. My friend coughed for seconds right away. Then we picked up the coffee maker, and it was full of stains (photo attached). The bed was noisy -- even when climbing onto the bed, we could hear the noise of the springs in the mattress and the noise of the springbox. Later in the night, we heard the headboard of the room next door hitting against the wall for like 20 minutes. Yes, the room was spacious and looked clean. But really, the devil was in the details.

The breakfast had a good variety of food choices, which was very good. Location wise, it was located right next to a plaza and about 15-minute walk from the major shopping mall, the City Creek Center. However, I would not return because of its breakfast and location, given this poor experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Me and a couple of girlfriends stayed there for a girls birthday weekend. One of my friends mentioned why we were there and that it was one of our birthday that day. The lady at the desk said she would be back and returned with some yummy cheesecake! Complimentary! The breakfast was good. We were always met with a smile and them asking if they could help us. The beds were very comfortable. The maids did come in and clean our room and took all the towels and didn't restock so we had to call the front desk and ask for more. Overall it was an excellent experience and I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Brady and Greg at the front desk checked me in early after a long drive. The room was huge with granite counters even in the desk area. Greg explained all the standard rooms were the same size which impressed me. There's a sectional with ottoman that can convert to a sofa bed. Spacious lounging in that area.
Breakfast was the usual better than continental but not over the top. However, I did eat in their restaurant and loved the mushroom soup. You can also purchase lattes with Starbucks coffee. There's a bakery counter and Brady popped fresh gooey chocolate chip cookies into it while I ate.
The light rail is very convenient and I used it to meet my friend at the airport. Cheap and efficient. There's also numerous restaurants within walking distance but I would suggest the TRAX rail a few stops to the fabulous area on Main Street.
There's parking on premises so leave your car and enjoy a clean, well organized city visit.
One last thing, Brady and Greg remembered my name and greeted me that way. Customer service goes a long way and I appreciated their attention to detail.

Room Tip: I had a view of downtown which was still quiet. The windows are excellent to keep out traffic.
1 Thank XCaliforniaGirl
Laguna Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am enjoying this hotel SO much I'm writing my review while still here (so I actually get it done). As with all Hyatt's, this hotel feels fresh and clean and has trendy decor. The room is like a suite with a seperate sitting area, refrigerator, workspace. Super nice for business traverlers. Haven't been to the Gateway mall yet but it's just a few blocks away, as well as Temple Square. But here's what prompted me to review...the personal service is incredible. The staff is so friendly! Everyone greets you with a smile, front desk helped me navagate through the city with added tips on places to see and eat. Best of all...I was in a crunch and needed a small gift to bring a client. I decided to purchase some of their cookies as my gift. Staff members Greg and Sana came to the rescue! Greg quickly prepared a fresh batch of cookies and Sana packaged them up for me with colored tissue paper! OK...now that is what I call going above and beyond. Thank you Greg and Sana! On my next trip to Salt Lake...there's no other place I'd stay than HERE!

Room Tip: I was up on 6th floor. Pretty views and super quiet!
1 Thank KayLG535
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was our first time visiting Salt Lake City and the Hyatt Place was in the perfect location for us. The sprawling open-air Gateway Shopping Centre is across the road, and the shops are open until 9pm Mon-Sat. There is a variety of casual restaurants there too. Temple Square and the Convention centre are a 10-15 minute walk away, or you can ride the Trax light-rail for a couple of stops (free fare zone).
Pros - large modern room with separate seating area, nice bathroom and toiletries, very clean, fast wifi, included breakfast with selection of hot and cold items, secure self-parking.
Cons - some noise from street traffic and light-rail turning the corner (we were on the fourth flloor), $10 parking charge, pancakes and donuts at breakfast were a bit dry.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Selected this property due to its location at one end of the Gateway open air mall. The property is in excellent condition and the staff was excellent. The rooms are well laid out with a comfortable seating area, separate desk/work area and sleeping area separated from the seating area by a partial wall. While small the space if very efficient and comfortable. I enjoyed the large walk in shower. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. When I returned from dinner the first evening and asked about coffee they made me a complimentary fresh Starbucks as they did again on my 4:30 AM departure. Complimentary breakfast offered some good choices for every taste although I would like to have seen more hot food options. The location allows you to walk comfortably to the shops and restaurants in The Gateway and the Energy Solutions Arena home to the NBA Jazz is just across the street. This is by far the nicest limited service hotel I've stayed in while downtown and had the best price during my time frame.