“SO disappointing”

Hyatt Place Salt Lake City - Downtown
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I hate to write a bad review, because the front desk staff was so nice, but I was SO disappointed in my stay. The hotel itself was fine--decent lobby, okay rooms (though the furniture was a bit worn). But the housekeeping staff completely ruined the experience. They were the worst of any hotel I've stayed at, ever. Appalling. To start with, my room wasn't taken care of until 5PM every night of my stay--and I was there for five nights. So I'd come back from a long day of working and exploring to find that the cart was parked outside of my room.

That in itself wouldn't have been a big deal, but the quality of the housekeeping was so shoddy that it just added insult to injury. I went to make a cup of coffee one day and found that the cup that was in the one-cup maker was coated with white powder--creamer, I assume, from a previous guest. I used the other cup, and left it on the bedside table. When I came back, that night, I found that the housekeeping staff had simply moved the glass to another table and left it. The leaving of dirty cups happened several times during my stay. Another day, I came back to find that the housekeepers had not replaced the toilet paper--so I had to call down to the desk. Another day, they left the toilet plugged up with toilet paper--I could tell at a glance that it would overflow if I tried to use it or flush it. I had to call for someone to fix it.

It was an endless stream of small things that added up to a terrible stay. The housekeepers never tucked the sheets into the bed--they simply pulled the comforter over to make it look like it was made. When I pulled back the blankets, the sheets were hanging off the side of the bed, all wrinkled. Sloppy. The linens were not changed after three days, as stated on the little card. When I hung towels up to indicate that they shouldn't replace them, they replaced them. When I left them on the floor, they hung them from the shower door handle. Oh, and one day, one of the hand towels had a huge red spot on it--that was certainly not mine. Clean or not, that was disgusting. The light in the shower was burnt out, which the housekeepers clearly knew about, because they left the bathroom lights switched on every day. Oh, and the sinks weren't always cleaned.

The cheap iron in the room leaked some kind of disgusting white stuff all over my clothes when I tried to use it. The Internet was super slow. Half of the TV channels had no sound. The extra blanket in the room was dirty--it had some kind of crusty stuff on it. It was rolled up on a shelf and clearly hadn't been cleaned in a while.

I literally started keeping a list because the issues were so numerous. I got tired of calling the front desk, and eventually I was so disgusted that I just stopped. I mean, it's one thing to have one or two things go wrong, but this was just ridiculous. It really soured my time in SLC. I travel there frequently for work and stay at many of the downtown hotels, and this was the worst--very disappointing for the Hyatt brand. Also, when I emailed in a complaint, I got no response. Not only would I not recommend it to friends, I would actively discourage people from booking.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank 9ek9

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a big conference in SLC. Pretty close like a few minutes walk and next to the mall for some shopping. This is a very clean hotel with great staff. Taxi to airport is around $15-20 ish.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 15, 2012

A large spacious room, quiet and convenient to transport. Great place to stay for a week attending a conference. Great staff with a causal atmosphere that made the stay easy - enough room to relax. Off street parking for $10/night, free wifi, gym and breakfast all enhanced stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Ok, it's not the Ritz, but all and all a very nice property and worth 5 stars in its class. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. TV was huge. Good desk for a work area. Bed was very comfy. Very large walk-in shower. Mini-fridge in the room, nice and cold. The hotel is a block and a half from the light rail so very easy to get around Salt Lake. 24 hour food service a bonus. Service was great, everyone attentive and cheery. Next to lots of shopping. The food is "pretty good" at the hotel, free breakfast with decent choices. Only negative is the Hyatt Place food service is the same at all the properties so it comes across as formulaic, and mass produced. Not your best meal, but still pretty good. Would certainly stay here again on a return visit to SLC.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel has a good location and suits my needs when I'm in salt Lake. I've stayed in this hotel at least ten times in the past two years. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet in a good location. Parking is always available, when the lot is full they have overflow shared parking with the mall. The mall has restaurants and a movie theater. The breakfast is ok not great, always busy with big families..get there early. I've used the gym many times, the equipment is maintained and always works well, you can expect kids playing on it while Mom works out. The lobby is nice and has a cafe bar with baked goods and snacks and a small menu. They serve wine and beer, like all facilities serving liquor in SLC you will be asked to order food with your drink at the bar. The hotel is close to the local attractions and the temple. I would recommend this hotel if you are traveling to SLC and want a downtown location that's family friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Booked this hotel due to the good reviews here and the fact they had nice big rooms but overall was disappointed with the experience. Despite the room size it was a poor use of space and a very strange lay out. The bathroom was situated on the outside wall (unlike most hotel rooms which are on the corridor) and the wash basin was opposite the bed in the room. So no privacy if you are sharing with anyone but a partner. A wardrobe whose sliding door only opened about 18” acted as a room divide and was unnecessarily small. Then there was what could have been a wet bar but all it consisted of was a small fridge and coffee machine on a huge counter top?!
Location was good for the Gateway Mall where there are plenty of restaurants but it is about a four block walk to Temple Square. We asked for a quiet room on a high floor when we booked in Feb. for Sep. On arrival we were allocated what must have been the noisiest room in the hotel on top of the porch at the front of the hotel on the first floor. We immediately went back down to reception but were told we could not move. Traffic noise was very loud with cars stopping at the Stop street and then pulling off all night. Next morning we complained again and were moved to a room on the top floor at the back of the hotel. Why could they not just have done this in the first place ? Could understand if we had just walked in off the street and why ask for room requests if your are going to ignore them?
Breakfast was probably the best ‘included’ we came across with plenty of choice and egg muffins rather than the usual powdered scrambled eggs and nice crisp pastries but then it was spoilt by little things like only four tables, water tepid for making tea and quick to clear away bang on 9 a.m. - not everyone staying here is on business and it would be nice to take things at a more leisurely pace. A bar service was advertised but you could only get a glass of wine if you ordered food. As we were going out to dinner later we did not want food just a nice aperitif.
The overall experience made me feel that if we were in SLC again and with all the choice available we would give somewhere else a try.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on second floor with odd number if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yorkietrav
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here with two girlfriends this weekend. The location is perfect, 1 minute walk from shopping at Gateway. The staff was excellent and attentive! We ate dinner from the menu in the lobby which was excellent and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We stayed right on the first floor which was a great choice. We were 10 steps from breakfast ...more...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends