Tripadvisor
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Amazing Day in the Backcountry

John is very knowledgable and fun! He's great at tailoring the tour based on your abilities and... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
rachelski9
Avi 1 refresher course

I have taken several Avi 1 refreshers, but John provides clarity, skill training, and general snow... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Discover742769

All reviews refresher course rock climbing multi pitch ski tour skill level big cottonwood canyon safety avalanche tower terrain abilities depth skiing teaching science snow route
Selected filters
Reviewed November 11, 2019

For my 50th I set a personal challenge to climb something dramatically harder than I had ever tried. John, from backcountry, worked with me over eMail and phone to understand my skill level, and my desires. He picked out breathtaking climbs that pushed my personal limits. When I looked around the valley from the top of Castlelton Tower in Utah I felt exhausted and a personal sense of achievement.

John is a highly professional guide who takes safety extrimely seriously.

Date of experience: November 2019
1  Thank Michael B
Odyssey775323, Guide at The Backcountry Pros, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2019

Thanks for the words Mike! It was a pleasure getting out with you and showing you some of the areas iconic climbs.

Reviewed September 14, 2019

I booked a 2 day trip with John and Patrick, and they were able to guide me through some of the most iconic routes moab had to offer. As a fairly experienced sport climber, my goal was was to push past my limits and hopefully climb one of the famous Moab towers. John and Patrick were both super friendly, and they were both very focused on my safety. On day 1, we climbed some of Moab’s more famous crags in “the ice cream parlor” and “Wall Street”. They both did a great job in coaching me through the crack climbing and getting me comfortable on trad routes. On day 2, we got to climb Moab’s most iconic tower in castleton tower. This was a huge 400ft tower on top of a 1000ft mountain. (Same height as the Empire State Building) This was my first multi-pitch experience and I definitely would not have been able to get to the top without John and Patrick. There experience, skill and teaching ability was all best in class. Overall this was like no other vacation or guiding service I have ever experienced. I would strongly recommend backcountry pros to everyone, especially people who have a good amount of climbing ability and want to go up a desert tower for the first time or just want a great coach to help give them the best climbing experience possible.

Date of experience: September 2019
Odyssey775323, Guide at The Backcountry Pros, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2019

It was a pleasure climbing and sharing knowledge around Moab with you Daniel! Keep getting out and pushing yourself and you will continue to progress rapidly as a climber! Hope to see you next year for another adventure.

Reviewed August 4, 2019

My 15 year old son and I went out with John and Connor for a day of rock climbing up Big Cottonwood Canyon and we had the best time. They were extremely knowledgeable and experienced and I could tell our safety was their top priority. I felt like we were in good hands the entire time. John knew exactly which routes to choose for our level and was a great teacher. I definitely recommend Back Country Pros!

Date of experience: July 2019
Odyssey775323, Guide at The Backcountry Pros, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2019

Thanks for the kind words Amber. Look forward to climbing with you again sometime soon!

Reviewed July 13, 2019

Skiing with John was a fantastic experience. He is a real pro – skillful, knowledgeable and unassuming with a vast expertise in snow science and backcountry travel. I highly recommend John specifically and Backcountry Pros in general for skiers of all abilities. If you want get better at safely traveling and skiing in avalanche terrain, Backcountry Pros is the way to go!

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed February 6, 2019

Really comprehensive presentation of backcountry safety, with a lot of time for in-depth questions and decision making practice of real-world scenarios. John's a well of knowledge and a patient, friendly instructor.

Date of experience: January 2019