“Small but very good zoo”
Review of Utah's Hogle Zoo

Salt Lake City Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #14 of 152 things to do in Salt Lake City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Family-friendly entertainment at affordable prices: this zoo features more than 1,100 animals fom all over the world. Don't miss the brand new African Savanna featuring giraffes, zebra and African lions. Elephant Encounter brings you close with the world's largest land mammals and white rhinos. Rocky Shores boasts over 300,000 gallons of temperature-controlled pools for seals, sea lions and a polar bear. Plus big cats, great apes and more!
Reno, Nevada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Small but very good zoo”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My son & I arive at the zoo in the morning before it got hot, which was good because most of the were out an about.. The ape were realy good,feeding seals,was interesting , the amur leapard was awesome and bird show was great.

• Turkish first
Lehi, Utah
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“"Regular zoo"”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

After hearing a lot of good "propaganda" about Hogle Zoo I decided to visit it; I have visit many other zoo,s around the country; honestly I was very disappointed with the zoo specially the landscaping around it. The animals are fine but do not expect many of them. As I saw and read other reviews that the zoo is construction (expansion) but I still did not find very impressive. Many areas of the zoo are blocked due to construction. The landscape are very dry and lacking water ( I understand that we are in the desert and a drought) but if you are paying to see animals you expect the surrounding to be nice too.

Visited August 2013
Brigham City, Utah
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good zoo is getting better”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

As a former employee and Sunday volunteer with the bird-show up until last year, I can say this is a good zoo that gets better every year. There are only 42 acres to work with, so with each expansion something had to go. My biggest regret was the lost of the two brown-capuchin monkey families — they were like watching a soap opera! They went to the Pittsburg Zoo.

A few years ago they expanded the elephant-rhino area, which is wonderful and allows you to get up close to Dari, Christi and her young daughter Yuri. Next was the cat house remodel; the small cages gone replaced with larger, more natural settings. The family of Amur tigers is my favorite and you can see Amur leopards also. Then came Rocky Shores with glass that allows you to watch the seals, sea lions and a polar bear swim above and below the water level; also some river otters. Get more info on the animals and exhibits at hogle zoo.org on the web.

The bird-shows run May through September (check web for schedule) and are not to be missed; called The World of Flight many of the birds are raptors and fly over the audience! Currently the African Savannah is under construction and won't be finished until spring 2014. It will feature lions separated by a dry mote from zebra, giraffes and more, plus a longer train ride circling the savannah. The train is closed until next spring. May be some dust but there's a lot to see.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Utahbooklover
Chicago, Illinois
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Great new exhibit with Rocky Shores”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have been going to the Hogle Zoo for most of my life and the zoo has had a lot of changes and I think the recent additions of Rocky Shores is great. You can see bald eagles, grizzly bears, polar bear, harbour seals and sea lions. The seals and sea lions are particularly entertaining and I could have watched them for hours. The Asian Highlands continues to be great, with chances to see Amur leopards and tigers, as well as Siberian Lynx and Snow Leopards. This summer the zoo also has Lego animal exhibits that are really cool to see up close.

The only downside is the zoo is currently under a lot of construction as they are working on a new African Safari, so there is less to see at the moment. However, I think that the new exhibits are enticing enough to make up for the more limited number of animals and I look forward to seeing the new area in the future.

ogden, utah
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Hogle Zoo”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It had been more than a few years since I've been to the zoo so I decided it was time to go. Lots of changes; some good, some bad. First the good....the new exhibits for the animals are amazing. So neat to get so close to the animals. Was able to look a rhino in the eye while he was taking a drink of water. Also got to get nose to nose to a sea lion. So cool!! Could have sat and watched the seals and sea lions all day. They were very entertaining. A couple of the sea lions started getting a bit too frisky so we decided to move on. The Lego creations are way cool. My kids are huge into Legos so they were in awe over each one.
Now for the not so good...First the construction. I understand that after its all said and done it will be nice and everything but so much of the zoo is blocked off right now. They have a new merry go round in the middle of the zoo. Cool right? Yes, but it is an extra fee to ride it. So when they bring the train back is that going to cost extra also? One other thing I found a bit frustrating is the fact that yes you can bring your own food in, which we did, and yes there are lots of shaded table areas, but there are also signs posted in those table areas that they are only to be used if you purchase food at the cafe or restaurant. We ended up finding a table with no shade near the entrance where everyone who walked in got to watch us eating our pb&j sandwiches. All in all we had a good time and it was a fun thing to do for the day.