“Perfect for small children and a family outing.”
Review of Utah's Hogle Zoo

Utah's Hogle Zoo
Ranked #13 of 166 things to do in Salt Lake City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Family-friendly entertainment at affordable prices: this zoo features more than 1,100 animals fom all over the world. Don't miss the brand new African Savanna featuring giraffes, zebra and African lions. Elephant Encounter brings you close with the world's largest land mammals and white rhinos. Rocky Shores boasts over 300,000 gallons of temperature-controlled pools for seals, sea lions and a polar bear. Plus big cats, great apes and more!
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We decided to go to the zoo for a day outing whilst visiting in the area. Driving to the zoo was a nightmare but that was due to construction. There were plenty of animals to look at and we even managed to go on the litte train that took us around the park. Go in good weather and slap on sunscreen.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I think your enjoyment of this zoo will depend on your previous zoo experiences. I was surprised at how small the zoo and the enclosures for the animals were, I thought most zoos and safari parks had moved to large natural environments for their animals. There is a section under construction so maybe the zoo is being upgraded. Very reasonable entry fee though.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a nice zoo with a great tiger experience you don't see every day. Not anywhere near the San Diego Zoo or Washington D.C. Zoo, but a nice visit. Check out my tiger pics, as he was roaring like he wanted to eat the kids. Having been to Siegfried & Roy's home in Las Vegas, I have seen tigers up close and personal.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

A nice little zoo for a city of this size. We particularly liked the giraffe house which lets visitors go inside the nighttime pens, walk up to the second floor balcony, and see the giraffes face to face. I have never seen this at another zoo. The giraffe house alone was worth the $10 adult admission. Hoyle zoo also has an entertaining aquarium with sea lions and a polar bear. Visitors can watch from birth above and below the water line. We watched the zookeepers feed and interact with the rhinos in a very charming and informative way. We visited on the first warm day of Spring. There were still patches of snow in the river canyon that dissects the zoo. Be aware that many cold sensitive animals are not on display during cold weather. A new African savannah exhibit is in construction and is due to open in 2014. 3 hours will be plenty of time for a leisurely visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been going to the zoo since I was a kid. I had a hiatus of several years and then just went back last summer, and then again Spring of 2013.

I was kind of surprised at the lack of animals, honestly. I love that they have made the Zoo more comfortable for the animals and that they are no longer in cement cages with bars, the downside is that due to the lack of room they have for expansion, they have definitely cut back a LOT on the variety of animals. As we walked the grounds, we reminisced about all of the animals they used to have that are gone now. First and foremost were the lions, but they will be back in 2014 when the new African Savannah opens up. So hopefully a lot of the missing animals will be back when that opens. Judging by the construction it will be a pretty amazing place.

The relatively new Asian Highlands area is pretty. There is an Asian themed food place called the Cat Wok, and a great enclosure for the Amur Tigers.

The small animal building looks the same as it has for the past 25+ years since I first went to the Zoo as a kid. Hot, smelly and crowded. A couple of great open exhibits where the birds fly free, and lots of glass cages.

I went with a Photography group and we had a good time, even though a good part of the park is closed due to the construction.

It is obvious that they are making improvements. The Rocky Shores exhibit is great, and reminds me a lot of something you'd see in Sea World. I think good things are coming as they renovate the Zoo and hopefully by next year there will be more variety. I can't give a higher rating at this point due to the construction, but hopefully when the renovations are done, it will be a solid 5-star zoo and I will adjust my review accordingly.

2  Thank jedigirl77