“Great Food/Horrific Service”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 100 South & West Temple
Transit: TRAX
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Naked Fish is one of the finest Sushi restaurants I have been to in the US. Great variety and imaginative dishes. However be warned, the service is beyond horrific. Waiting to be seated with numerous empty tables at lunch and the waitstaff is truly clueless. Be prepared for a mind bending experience.

There are newer reviews for Naked Fish

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is not only one of the best Japanese restaurants in SLC. It's one of the best in the US. It's not Fu-Fu like Nobu (Las Vegas) or Morimoto's (Napa, CA). It's great Japanese food and sushi. They change up the menu from time to time, but the options are always great. It's not purely traditional.... they bring in just the right amount of "Asian-fusion" to make the dish interesting but not so much that the dishes lose their true Japanese character. Try the duck kushi yaki.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

So firstly I have to say I am a vegetarian. Yes a proper one, one that does not eat fish. However, I do love sushi i.e. veggie sushi, rice, vegetables, miso, tofu and a Kirin to wash it all down, bliss. I made a late reservation here and headed over after a long day at work. The first thing they did that made me happy, was as I was a lone diner they gave me a choice of places to sit, in a booth, by the sushi bar, at a table wherever I wanted. I chose the sushi bar as it's interesting to watch the 'process' even if I don't want to eat the fish.

They brought water straight away with the menu (as most good US places do) and then the waitress genuinely enthused about the veggie selection, she recommended a couple of things after asking me what I liked and smiled genuinely when I picked some stuff. It was hard to pick as there was such a good selection! Again another first in a sushi restaurant, a proper, well thought through varied and delicious vegetarian menu.

The sushi chef was great fun to watch and really passionate about what he did, he told me that he had been introduced to sushi at an early age by his dad and loved it ever since. He even made a bit extra when I ordered the extremely delicious tempura mushroom sushi and me and the girl next to me shared it. She then returned the favour by ordering us some Inarizushi, which was also delicious. I also had tofu in miso broth and avocado maki which were also fresh and yummy.

And all the while we chatted to the chef and he enthused about the restaurant and Japanese food in general in a way that was both genuine and interesting. I don't know if this is the best sushi restaurant in Salt Lake City, it was the only one I tried, but it was certainly delicious, relaxing, cool and I would highly recommend.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We eat at Japanese and sushi restaurants a lot. We went there on a Wednesday night without reservations and the place was packed. We decided to wait and were seated at the sushi bar after a short wait. The sushi was very good, the service was attentive and the sushi chief was excellent. The price was more than we normally pay but my wife said it was the best sushi she has had. Nuff said!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The local tourism magazine named Naked Fish the best sushi in SLC. There may be some place better in SLC; I don't know as this is the only sushi I have eaten here.. But it hard to imagine anything better. Jellyfish shooter had the right crunch mixed with the sweet/sour vinaigrette. The double tuna maki and the salmon maki were just plain excellent. Didn't eat more but can't wait to come back again.