“This isn't a hotel, it's a low income housing complex!”

Crossland Salt Lake City - Mid Valley
Ranked #68 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
socal
“This isn't a hotel, it's a low income housing complex!”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My husband and I were going to stay here for one night on our way home to California from a 3 week long "national park tour." We had already driven 300+ miles this day and were just happy to have a place to stay. We got the the Homestead suites after driving around for a long time trying to find the place which is very hidden. When we were driving to our room from the front desk we noticed ALOT of very sketchy looking people. these people looked like drug attics who lived here full-time. There were a lot of little kids running around who also must have lived here full-time because they had a ton of toys outside. We drove to pick up a pizza and on our way back in we noticed a very shady deal going on outside of our building (most likely a crack deal or other drug deal.) I called the manager and told her we didn't want to stay because we didn't feel safe and had a ton of belongings in our car and she said "I'm sorry we can't refund your money because you already checked in." I told her about the possible drug deal and she said " I don't know why you don't feel safe...we haven't had a crime here for MONTHS!!" That's when I laughed and told her if she didn't refund our money I was going to post it on trip advisor and contact her manager. She told us we could have our money back after all and we left and drove 150+ more miles to get as far away from this place as possible.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jeno364

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dayton
Reviewed May 1, 2009

The room was in decent shape.
The Good: The 10 person hot tub was really nice after a hard day skiing. The staff was very helpful and got us what we needed.
The Bad: the room didn't have a pan for cooking in the kitchenette, and there weren't any hangars in the closet (staff brought these promptly when requested). I don't think there was a bathroom fan.. it makes me wonder about the Building codes in SLC.
The Ugly: It seems that in SLC there are only two kinds of people; the Mormons, who don't drink or take drugs or do anything offensive at all..... and the crackheads. Now there are a lot of immigrants who don't fit either category, but I want to get back to the crackheads. It seemed like this hotel, or the one next door might have been picking up some government money by renting rooms long-term as section 8 housing. There were some really dodgy folks who appeared to be living there. They provided really good entertainment value at the hot tub.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Utah
Reviewed January 3, 2009

The people were so easy to work with and made my stay great. They were awesome to work with on any problems and any problems were quickly taken care of. I'd recomend this place to stay to anyone looking for a relaxing get away with awesome people to deal with.

Stayed December 2008
azblondes
Reviewed July 12, 2007

we booked online 3 days in advance,called first thing sunday morning to confirm and let them know we'd be coming into town soon and to inquire as to when our room would be ready for check in.we were told any time after noon the rooom would be ready so we were not pleased when we arrived at 130 and the room had not been cleaned.we went and ran some errands and got a bite to eat and at 230 the hotel called..good news,,the room is ready.
check in was uneventful but when we got to the room it was absolutely disgusting,we have stayed at extended stay hotels all over the country and we have loved them,i couldnt believe what we found here
food and trash in the fridge,micro and stovetop with food all over them,the bathroom looked like the cat exploded there was so much hair everywhere and the commode had not been cleaned
food on the floors and we were stiking to the tile,the hide a bed in the sofa had dirty sheets with food in them and the dist and dirt on the room was disgusting.
I called the front desk and advised them the condition of the room and asked the manager to come to the room ..THEY REFUSED,and sent the girl back to clean the room,she argued with us that the room WAS clean,which these pics show it absolutely was NOT.
she changed the sheets on the beds swept the floor (barely)ran the vaccuum and left.
called the front desk again and they advised me that they would have someone else clean the room and that they would refund the cost of the room.
at 600pm still noone had cleaned the room the girl they said would come up to clean it came to advise us that she had to leave,she was 17 and her mom was here to pick her up.but that someone else would be up to clean the room.
at 800PM still noone has cleaned the room,when i called the front desk the clerk told me that he had refunded the room,and that everyone was gone for the day.
At this point i went to the desk and demanded a different room,there were 2 other guests also demanding room changes because their rooms were disgusting,
They put us in the room next to ours,not what we had booked but anything is better if it's cleaner.
That night when we went to go to bed the door would not latch and the lock wouldnt work ,we had to have the security guard come up and close the door from the outside so we could lock our door.
too tired to shower we waited til morning,which is when we pulled back the shower curtain to find the hair and dirty razors on the side of the tub.
This is absolutely appalling and unsanitary,

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank azblondes

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

california
Reviewed April 5, 2007

OK, let me start off by saying that overall this is a conveniently located, inexpensive and potentially nice motel. There are a numerous amount of eateries and shopping within walking distance. The Homestead is located right off the freeway and is fairly easy to find. Again, potential was definately there.
I checked in to the Homestead with no problem. Myself and my two children were given a handicapped equipped room with two queen beds at the price of $248 for the week(after discount). We got to our room at around 3am after driving 14 hours from California. I desperately had to use the ladies room and went to do so only to spot what looked to be feces splattered around the toilet bowl. The shower was filled with mold and the floor was sticky. I went to call the office only to find that they closed around 9pm. After inspecting the beds, I decided to rough it for the night and change rooms immediately the following morning. Going to the door to lock up for the night, I realized that the safety latch on the door was broken in half. Looking closer, I could see that the door had been kicked in.....
The next day I called the office and was told that while they were sorry about the feces (no mention of the broken lock) they were fully booked and could not move me. After reminding the lady at the desk that I had two small children with me and did not feel safe and would find somewhere else, I was told that "Oh wait...there will be check outs in 1 hour". Go figure. The next room was just as dirty, but with a working safety latch.
As my husband was already staying there on business and it was the most convenient location available, I sucked it up and went to the Walmart 2 blocks away and bought detergent, bleach, and dish soap (did I mention the dirty dishes?). After several hours of cleaning, it actually turned out to be quite a pleasant stay.....if you don't mind only having your room cleaned once a week. Honestly, with better housekeeping and management this could have been a great find, but with all of the varying issues I can say that I would not recommend this motel to friends unless drastic cleanliness issues were addressed.

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Very dirty rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank calimele
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed February 23, 2005

Where do I start? I think first of all, I would like to say, stay FAR FAR away from this hotel!!! It appeared like a good deal... kitchenette, queen bed, tv with cable and free movie channel.....well guess again!! First, we wanted to go to Salt Lake City to go skiing/snowboarding. We were not going to rent a car, so we wanted some information on the ski bus schedule. I called to find out how far away the ski bus stop was, and I was told apx. 3 blocks. Well, we decided at the end of the day, 3 blocks would be too long to carry our gear, so we had made reservations at another hotel, the Discovery. Meanwhile, my boyfriend had gotten an email back from the manager saying the bus stops right outside the hotel. So I cancel my reservations with Discovery. We get there and find out - that we have to go on two seperate buses to get to the ski bus. (with all our gear mind you!) Plus we had to pay extra bus fare! Prior to getting there, I had called to make reservations, and asked if I could make them with someone else's CC (because neither of us own one) and leave it on file, and if we would need it at check-in. I was told by 2 different people that I did NOT need one. We get there that night, in the pouring down rain, and since the office closed at 9 (which we were not told) we had to wait for security to let us in. Then he demanded my CC and even threatened not to give us a room!! The next morning I went down to figure out what to do about the CC, they hastily said it would be ok. I asked when we would pay for our room, and she told me at check-out. They said they had discount lift tickets at the counter, and I asked if they had the combined lift ticket for snowbird & alta. She said yes, and proceeded to sell me a superpass. Which then she informed me would only be good for one of the resorts per day (in other words... it was NOT a combo pass). She would not take it back. However, I decided to save it and use it for myself, since I wouldn't be going to Alta since I was snowboarding. Later that night, after getting back, and going to cook dinner, I pulled out the supplied pans, and they were DIRTY! YUCK! So I went to wash the pan, only to find out that the dish detergent is not in the room, you have to go down to the office to get dish detergent and shampoo. (They expect you to wash the dishes, but make you go out of the way to get soap to do so?!?!) The night before checkout, we had gotten a message on our phone complaining because we had not paid yet. Well, I had asked when we pay, and I was told at check-out. We went down to check-out the next morning, and I had told her I would like another superpass as well as to check-out. Well she checked me out before selling me the superpass, so she said there was no way she could sell it to me anymore since my name was not assigned to a room. Her mistake and she wouldn't do anything about it!! I then proceeded to talk to the manager about the situation, and she simply said she would talk to the girls. No offer to discount our price for the hassel we had put up with, and worse of all, no lift ticket!! And the most annoying part of our stay with this hotel was their door keys!! The first day after we had gotten back, we went to go into our room, and it wouldn't let us in! We went down to the office and were informed any time that we were in the cold for an extended amount of time, or if we went through any security point (like wal-mart) it strips the cards and they need a passcode reassigned to them. So since we were in SLC to go skiing, guess what we had to do everyday?! Yep, our keys needed the passcode reassigned!! All in all... HORRIBLE experience. It seriously stressed me out! I suggest you stay as far away from this hotel as possible!!!

• Stayed February 2005
Ramada Salt Lake City
Ramada Salt Lake City
#52 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt ...
#20 of 75 in Salt Lake City
Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - West Valley Center
Extended Stay America - Salt Lak...
#12 of 13 in West Valley City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, West Valley City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#8 of 13 in West Valley City
Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House
Extended Stay America - Salt Lak...
#56 of 75 in Salt Lake City

Been to Crossland Salt Lake City - Mid Valley? Share your experiences!