“Diamond in the Rough”

Ranked #58 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Trying to save money? Who isn't? Want a convenient location? This motel is located a few blocks from I-80 and is on the Light Rail (TRAX) route to get into downtown Salt Lake (only about 1 1/2 miles away). A group of California investors bought this run-down property and have renovated all the rooms. In fairness, this place is still "a work in progress." The staff is wonderful and could not have been more caring during my 5 day visit. Thanks especially to Shilo Shewmake, the Housekeeping Supervisor, Andrea Bailey who reserved a flight for me on Southwest, and Joanne Sturgel in the breakfast room. If you are a skier and rent a car, you can be in Park City in 30 minutes with access to the Deer Valley, Park City, and the Canyons Ski Areas. Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude are even closer. Check out the Ski Truck store, about 3/4 of a mile away from the motel, where you can get great deals (super cheap) on skis, clothing, and about anything you could think of. Coming to the Utah Sate Fair? This motel is just around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the central courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank jnichols
SaltLakeInnGM, General Manager at Ramada Salt Lake City North Temple, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of the Salt Lake Inn. The three employees you mentioned were excited to be noticed for their hard work. We will continue to strive to improve and make this diamond sparkle!
It was a pleasure to meet you and we hope to see you soon.

Ps: the ski resorts just received more snow!

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Kitchener,ON
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed there Jan 20-25, was there for the OR show. Read that the property especially the rooms were recently renovated. It appears that was the case. Close to the airport, but far from decent restaurants, but that's the case with most "close to the airport" motels. The drive to down town Salt Lake is just a few minutes. I must say, I was there 6 days and the hotel staff at the front desk is over the top pleasant. That really makes a stay enjoyable. The room I had was a business King room, located on the first level towards the courtyard. Highly recommend the same to avoid street noise. There was a lot of early morning noises, trains mainly, but what can you do? The room was clean, newly renovated just as the pictures show. One thing I would recommend is that the place a 2nd phone at the desk in the room. Was a bit awkward trying to make calls from bed-side. Each day the room was made up and really, nothing was out of sorts. The only thing was I had rusty water from the hot water tap both at the sink and bathtub. Perhaps due to the room not being used. Ran the water for about 2 minutes and it cleared up. That happened on the first 2 mornings, rest of the week it was not an issue. There is a continental breakfast available just off the lobby and it was decent. I am a light breakfast eater so the coffee, milk, toasted bagel and boiled eggs were just fine. There's a Denny's next door if you want the grease. Overall my stay was just fine. I would stay again. Tip of the hat to the staff, you were all so pleasant. Thanks !!!

Room Tip: As mentioned, choose a courtyard access room to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank gregnkw
SaltLakeInnGM, General Manager at Ramada Salt Lake City North Temple, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review the Salt Lake Inn. It means a lot that you were able to see the efforts we have taken to improve and meet our guests needs. I really appreciate your observation that a second phone in our business kings would make doing work easier.
Thank you for a 'tip of the hat' to the staff, it's easy to be kind to our guests, we have the best guests in the world and we value their opinion.

Hope to see you in August for the next Outdoor Retailer Show!

Kind regards,
Chandler, AZ
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I chose this hotel for our family's vacation stop based on reviews and I was very disappointed with several parts of our stay. First of all, in the winter in SLC, the air quality is very poor due to inversion from the cold. Even in the dark, we could see the brownish hue hovering over the city. This hotel is very close to some manufacturing plants, so it felt even worse there.

When we arrived, we felt safe and the front office staff was very friendly. They have a workout room, which was very important to us, but I felt it was somewhat unsafe because it didn't have a key entry, so anyone- hotel guest or not- could go in. They assured me that it had a security camera, but that didn't make me feel much better.

Much of the decor and the facilities in general felt dated. However, we were comfortable and warm and that's really all that we needed for a quick stopover on our way to our destination.

The one part of our stay that was really bad was when the cleaning staff knocked on our door once, didn't wait for a response, and opened the door. At 8 a.m. Most of us were still asleep and we obviously hadn't checked out. Shouldn't the front desk inform them of this?

I would not recommend this hotel based on those few things. It was okay, and it was budget. But I don't plan on returning.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SaltLakeInnGM, General Manager at Ramada Salt Lake City North Temple, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Salt Lake Inn, unfortunately there isn't much we can do about the weather in Salt Lake City however, the one thing we can control our service training.
Based on your comments we have reviewed our policy and procedures with our housekeeping staff so that all of our guests will have a comfortable and memorable experience. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Kind regards,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I would definitely reccommend Salt Lake Inn to family&friends who will be in the area! It is a new renovated location. The atmosphere is warm and friendly with great hospitable customer service. Rooms are warm and cozy...nice and clean...and beds are to die for;) Perfect location with several dining facilities in its surroundings for your convenience. Downtown is at a decent distance for touring and shopping. Overall, Salt Lake Inn is well worth your stay!

1 Thank carolineTui
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is my first time staying at the Salt Lake Inn. The property has undergone extensive remodeling and they really did a first class job Room was spotless clean, all new furniture, king size bed with thick covers and comfortable pillows. New flat screen, mini-fridge, micro, blow dryer, in room coffee, soft towels. Small attention to detail item such as electrical outlets on the lamp bases, wifi included that has all bar signal. Convenient location right off 80 not far from downtown. A breakfast was served but I did not check it out and I did see an outdoor pool. Staff was friendly and a small store is available in the lobby. If u stayed here before the remodel and were disappointed give it another try. Looks like an old style travel lodge on the outside, but well maintained. Nice property.

1 Thank Driverjoe
SaltLakeInnGM, General Manager at Ramada Salt Lake City North Temple, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review about the Salt Lake Inn! We are very excited that you found us and stayed with us for the first time. We appreciate that you took the time to give us your feedback and I will share your comments with the management and staff here at the hotel. Thank you again and we hope to have you back with us in the near future.
Pleasant grove
Reviewed November 22, 2013

location, location, This hotel is right off the freeway . close to down town . when I look for hotels when I am on a road trip that's what I look for . and this is the place. they did a great remodel with new almost everything. the staff are great and very helpful I need to mention Cody B. he was a great help to me and my wife while we were there. I really have no negative things to say the price is right for the night. if you like the location near the freeway on your why to Reno nv or all points east this is a great place to rest .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review of the Salt Lake Inn! We are so happy to hear the positive comments about our recent renovation and that we are a perfect place to stay while on a road trip. I appreciate your kind comments especially recognizing Cody for his service. We are all very proud of Cody and I will definitely share your comments with him. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back with us on your next road trip!
pg
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Everything is new and updated. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the grounds are well kept. Staff were friendly and helpful. Cody B was especially helpful during our stay. I highly recommend the Salt Lake Inn

1 Thank aboer
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us here at the Salt Lake Inn. We really appreciate you recommending our hotel to others and that you liked our newly renovated hotel. I will share your comments with Cody to let him know that you recognized him for his service, he definitely works hard to keep this place well kept. Thank you again and we look forward to having you stay with us again.