“Could be so much better”

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House
Ranked #56 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at this property in March 2013. This is an extended stay property (no daily housekeeping) and it's location (it backs up to an open space area) makes it fairly quiet. I would call this a budget hotel. The reviewer who compared it favorably to a 5 star hotel is delusional. The price/night reflects the condition of the property. The beds are very firm /hard and I was sore after sleeping on it for four nights. There were 4 pillows on the bed; one feather pillow, the other three just awful. We asked for another pillow. The bedding is the bedspread/blanket combo that does not appear to be changed between guests. Why? This is just unacceptable. Do they not watch the Hotel Impossible guy or Peter Greenberg rip the bedspread off the bed and throw it in the corner so they don't have to come in contact with it? We asked for another blanket so we would have a clean one.

The kitchen has a small, but full sized, refrigerator, a two burner stove, a bar sized sink and minimal utensils (2 forks, 2 knives, no spoons). They provide you with one small packet of dish soap and a dish towel. You can ask for more. There is no dishrack. I washed everything before I used it. The bathroom is fine; dated but serviceable. The carpet in the room is old and needs to be replaced.

There is a continental breakfast with apples and oranges, packaged muffins and granola bars. There are numerous fast food restaurants and a Whole Foods market within walking distance.

With it's convenient location, this property could be so much better. I was told it is due for a renovation this year. With a renovation and improved housekeeping between guests, this place has potential.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you found our bedding to be uncomfortable, which caused you to not get a good nights sleep. Still, I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our grab and go breakfast and the overall location of our hotel, especially that it is so close to other establishments within the area.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at SUG@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very easy stay. This place has everything you would need. No need to eat out all the time. There is a grocery store right up the street and you can make a home cooked meal in your room! There is a lot of space in the rooms plus a roomy kitchen and bathroom. My wife and I were very impressed with the attention to detail.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back on the bottom. You have an easier time bringing your stuff into the room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our property had everything you needed. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was out third time staying at this hotel. The manager, Greyson, is an outstanding asset to this property. He went out of his way to help us and give us ideas on things to see while on our visit. This property is cenrally located on the east side of Salt Lake City and very close to I-80, which made getting on and off of the freeways easy. Is this hotel the Waldorf? NO. However it is a clean, inexpensive and safe place to stay. I read some of the other comments and can not believe what some people expect from a budget hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget who does not expect a 5-star facility for a 1-star price.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room as they face the wooded park located behind the building. The odd num...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank You for the great review of our property. I’m thrilled that Greyson was able to help you while visiting the Hotel. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was very dissatisfied with the fact this is a "Green Hotel" and the fact we were not told this upon reserving the room or after checking in. We ran out of towels and were expecting to get new ones and in addition we were expecting to have our room cleaned. We were told by the front desk that the room was only cleaned and towels changed only once a week. This is unclean and a great inconvenience. I will never stay at another one of your hotels again due to the way this was handled. It would have been different had I been told this up front and expected it. I have stayed at many hotels over my lifetime and never once ran into this before.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are noisy due to the cement walk ways, any time someone rolls luggage on it it is...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I do sincerely apologize that our housekeeping services were not properly communicated to you. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I will ensure we re-train our staff to properly communicate with our guests what our services are all about. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at eleal@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were surrounded by some very unsavory younger people who smoked constantly. We had to walk through a cloud of smoke every time we left the room and some of the men were a bit scarey. I am glad we only stayed one night.
The bed was like a concrete slab and the kitchen was not very clean.
One of the lights had it's plug cut off the cord.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you in the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us in Salt Lake City. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to your satisfaction. In response to your feedback, I will personally ensure our housekeeping is properly trained on how to identify defective items in the rooms. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and hope you understand some issues are beyond our control. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at elela@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you ever want to stay in a less than 5 star hotel that offers the service of a 5 star, then this hotel is it. I travel frequently for work and am always amazed at the quality of the service here. Greyson, Jake and the rest of the front desk crew go out of their way to assist you and they do so with with a genuine smile, not one of those cheesy "customer is always right" smirks,

Add to this the location in the Sugar House is excellent with an great choice of dining and entertainment within walking distance of your room, easy access to freeways and a commute to downtown that is easy. The property itself sits a bit back from the road so rooms on the front of the hotel do not get much road noise. Even better are the rooms in the back as there is a nice park with a creek behind the properly. The rooms are always clean and maintained and the few stories I have heard about problems with the rooms are always attended to and fixed quickly.

You get all this for less than all the downtown hotels. A real bargain with seriously good service.

Room Tip: Request a room on the back side if you want to have a quieter room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for your great review of our property and staff. It’s great to hear that we were able to make you feel at Home. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently stayed in Salt Lake for 6 weeks. 2 weeks straight, followed by 1 week in Denver, and 4 more weeks in Salt Lake. The Homestead Studio Suites and especially the staff made my stay very enjoyable. I had a situation in which the refrigerator in my room became very loud one night and kept me awake. I notified the front desk in the morning. A new refrigerator, much quieter, was in my room when I returned from work that evening.

Very nice hotel, very helpful, knowlegeable and friendly staff. I would stay at this location again and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm thrilled that we were able to take care of your Refrigerator In a timely manner and they staff was so accommodating. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.