“Location great, but that's it”

Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House
Ranked #55 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Boise, Idaho
“Location great, but that's it”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Within walking distance of Westminster campus, but that's the only advantage. No daily cleaning, coffee not always ready at the front office in the morning, had to go ask for individual coffee for room coffee maker, dishes are hand washed. Can you trust the cleanliness of the maid and/or stranger who stayed in the room prior? I don't!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our Sugarhouse Location. I sincerely apologize that our services did not meet your needs. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate feedback as yours. Yet, in response to your feedback, I will personally ensure the staff is properly trained on our amenities thus ensure situations as you encountered do not occur again. I sincerely apologize again.

In regards to the lack of our daily housekeeping services please note that one of the reasons we are able to provide such low rates is by eliminating such services the extended stay traveler seems as no need such as daily housekeeping.

If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at eleal@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great team-
Clean, simple and a great convenient location.
Staff is great and very helpful.
For a no nonsense stay and conveniece to many places- stay here an they will treat you right.
Great upgrades and construction is over.

Room Tip: South side is quiet and you can hear water all night
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Eleal, Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I'm so pleased to hear that we are your choice Hotel when you visited The Sugarhouse Area. It is GREAT to hear our staff was very helpful. Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Moab
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have stayed here many times this year as we come to SLC for medical services. It has indeed been our home away from home. It is wonderful to find an affordable place with so many advantages. The kitchenette has everything you could want. The staff has always been friendly and accommodating. They go out of their way to make sure any special reservation requests are met and that we are happy with our room. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable with everything in working order. We find the location unbeatable, a quiet haven in the middle of the city. There is convenient access to a variety of restaurants, the Wholefoods market and a quickstop just up the street. The nearby walking path and creek complete the home atmosphere. It's easy to forget you're in the middle of a city. The location is convenient to the hospitals and clinics we have needed to visit. It has been good to have such a dependably pleasant place to stay on our trips. We will continue to stay at Sugarhouse Homestead Suites whenever we're in Salt Lake City.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JKnomore
Eleal, Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you continue to visit us during your trips to Salt Lake City. It's also great to hear that our Staff is always accommodating to your needs. We sincerely thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have stayed here many times and have always been satisfied with the accommodations because I knew what to expect. Note that this hotel caters to those who are staying for awhile, want basic amenities, and want the convenience of a kitchenette, all at a reasonable price. Amenities include in-room coffee maker (free coffee packets at front desk), microwave, two-burner stovetop, sink, refrigerator, and toaster with a sitting area. You are provided with silverware, dishes, cups, glasses, and some cookware. It is nothing fancy but you can get by. The bathroom has a hairdryer.

Because it's for extended stays, you won't get maid service every day. If you need more supplies, toilet paper, clean towels, etc., then you can get them from the front desk or they will bring them to your room. Also, if you need your room freshened up, they will send someone. Given that, you should be prepared for carpets that are not as clean as you might like, and for towels that are clean but may have some stains that didn't come out in the wash. This is not the Marriott--and that's why you get to pay such a reasonable price! If you get a stained towel, just take it to the desk for an exchange.

All rooms open to the outside, and this is partly why the floors can be pretty hard to keep clean. My solution is just to bring slip-ons or flip-flops to wear when I'm inside the room. I don't suggest going barefoot or in socks in any motel, and this one is no exception.

The property is set back from the street, and in the rear is a natural area called Hidden Hollow. It's a wonderful place for a morning walk. Close by are some good restaurants, and a Whole Foods is on the opposite corner, easy walking distance. The parking problem some reviewers have mentioned has been solved by a new parking garage nearby with passes for hotel guests at the desk. You have spectacular views of the mountains to the east, and you are very close to the famous Utah canyons.

I've always enjoyed my stays at Homestead Sugar House.

Room Tip: Ask for a "creekside room"--these rooms are in the rear and open onto the nature area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JayyEll
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding stays, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

I'd like to respond specifically to your comments about the Carpeting condition. In response to your review, I requested a building-wide inspection of each room to ensure that we properly address every room with such conditions as the ones you described. We will continue to use your survey as a training tool to ensure such does not occur again.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day."
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed here a few times on business nearby. Good location, great neighborhood. The place is a little beat up, but everything worked. Wifi worked, no particular problems with bathroom or kitchenette, wall air unit worked (if loud). It is handy to have a fridge and microwave and the kitchenette for leftovers. Parking is a chore (shared lot with fast food place, lots of construction workers parking there for adjacent site) but is free. Rooms were not particularly clean. Sheets are thin, beds hard, and the sparingly supplied pillows are not going to be enough to prop up in bed and watch tv or work on a laptop. Heating/cooling units in windows are loud. Staff was generally helpful. Since rooms are accessed by external walkway, you will have to trade off opening the window for light with a total lack of privacy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank msqueek
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking time out to write a review about your experience at our hotel. The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings. I do apologize that you experienced some issues while staying with us; however, I am pleased to know that your stay overall was enjoyable!

It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future or at any of our other brand locations. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3 weeks last month and had no complaints. It was quiet (ask for a room on the back if you can; there's only trees back there!). I was on the third floor, so I didn't have anyone above me, and I hardly ever heard the neighbors. The staff were all very courteous, and the location is great in the center of Sugar House. The only thing I warn is to have quarters on hand for the laundry room... the front desk doesn't always have change. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone needing a longer stay for a decent price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PDX27
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sugar House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you so very much for your review of our htoel. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that.

Santa Clara, Utah
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was our family's third stay at this hotel this summer. We have now stayed here a total of six nights and we were in seven different rooms. Every room has been clean. We believe that if any problems existed here once, they have now been corrected. We have found none of the previous things mentions here by other reviewers to be current problems with the one exception of a parking shortage due to the ongoing construction next door. Now after having mentioned parking, I should add that we were always able to find a parking spot in the lot, just not one close to our rooms. We were also pleased with the hotel staff.
The area behind the hotel is wooded and has a stream running through it. We liked the rooms in the back the most. We could open our window and look over into the trees or walk over to the balcony and look down to the ground. We never had a room on the ground floor.The rooms we stayed in on the front side were still very quiet inside. We could not hear any street noise.
We loved the Sugarhouse area. We found everything we needed or wanted close by or a short drive away. The hotel is just a few blocks away from I-80. There is a grocery, a 24 hour drugstore, movies and a variety of restaurants all within walking distance.
One of the biggest benefits of staying here are the kitchens in every room. We saved a ton of money by cooking some of our meals at the hotel. The fridges are large enough to store what you want. They are about 2/3 the size of our fridge at home.
All in all, it is a great place at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family