New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #63 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Seattle, Washington
“Disappointing and unsafe.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

After a satisfactory stay earlier this year, I decided to stay at this location again. I won't so in the future.
I'm okay with budget or "no-frills" motels and frequently stay at them on road trips. I think that a Motel6 along the highway is a great place to stop and sleep. This particular location, right downtown, is a nice budget alternative to the more expensive locations a block or two away. The unfortunate problem with such downtown locations is the trashy patrons they attract.
The first morning I was woken by loud music at 7:30 am. I looked out my window to see a group of people sitting by their pickup truck, doors wide open, enjoy some rap music at the stereo's full volume...about 30 feet from my room. Who would actually think this is okay?
That night, upon returning to the property around 12:30am, I saw a man with his car's hood up, alarm going off, apparently trying to disable the alarm. Maybe he locked his keys in the car. I don't know. What I do know is that eventually he regained access to the car and shut off the alarm...and then celebrated by cranking up the stereo. Again, how is this acceptable behavior?
On the last morning of my stay I opened the door and discovered a broken liquor bottle and a bloody towel. Gross.
It's sad that a great business can be ruined by their patrons, but that's exactly what's happened at this location. On their own merit, the rooms are fine. But the quality of customers at this location is disgusting: late night noise, fights, blood (literally)...I will not stay there again and absolutely recommend avoiding this place if you have children. It's simply not safe.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sheraton or Doubletree around the corner. Your children will be safer.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Leif D
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Leif D,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the cleanliness and safety conditions you encountered. The issues you experienced are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I went to this motel several times when I did not have much money to spend. I don't know what the halls are like because I never used them; I got a disability room on the first floor & facing the outside. It did not smell bad to me & I have a very sensitive sense of smell, perhaps because I always get a 'non-smoking' room. My rooms were a little run-down but they were very clean. The front desk people were always nice and quite helpful. It was comfortable & I always got plenty of sleep. There were never any problems at this motel regarding my service-dog.
The motel is a few blocks (huge blocks -- Salt Lake City has only 8 blocks per mile) from a depressed part of the city, but the motel is not really in a bad area itself.
This Motel 6 was always a comfortable experience at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Doddridge, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This motel has really great beds and pillows, great shower BUT does not have a frig or microwave. I was to tired to even care this time. It is fairly close to downtown. It was close to my pick-up area for my tour so I stayed here. The people were very nice at check-in and I got a really good rate. What more could you ask for. Of course there will be no free breakfast at any Motel 6 but that's OK, I know where a Sonic is that's close by. All in all it's still a nice room. It's quite and easy to get too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Roseville, Ca.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

This place needs a tear down! The hallways and rooms smell. Carpet needs replaced to get rid of the smell. There was no fridge or clock in the room. The towels were very dingy. There was only one chair in the room for two people. The pool is very old and ice cold! The extra security lock on the door was broken! Parking lot is full of homeless people hanging around. Doesn't feel safe!

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deborah H
Motel6, Owner at Motel 6 Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear DeborahH,
Thank you for posting your review . We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the odor and maintenance issues you encountered in our motel. The issues you experienced are certainly not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Travelers are raving about these Salt Lake City hotels

Montigny-le-Tilleul, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

As often, we have chosen to spend 2 nights in this motel 6. The furniture / the room was as usual, the M6 standard. Ok for us. The room was clean. The place was a bit noisy because of the noise coming from the water pipes / the fan in the bathrooms and the cars on the nearby road. The personnel at the reception was very friendly. There is ample parking space. The hotel is well situated regarding the Mormon temples and also close to restaurants and shopping areas. We do recomend the motel 6.... But do not expect a 4 - 5 stars hotel!

Room Tip: Ask a roomat the back of the hotel.... Should be quieter !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This motel is a terrible choice for your stay. it is surrounded by many other options, and I advise you to stay elsewhere.
The maid allowed an unregistered individual into my room to steal from me. She then lied about it. And the hotel Manager lied as well, apparently to not look incompetent to her boss.
The manager admitted fault and compensated me with a free nights stay, but falsely stated that I had caused a disturbance (by calling corporate HQ and complaining) to thereby have me banned from her location.
And just as the Manager had lied and backed up her lying maid so she would not look bad, Motel 6 Customer Relations backed up their poor choice of a manager so they wouldn't look bad.
To allow someone in my room, admit doin so and compensate me, and then turn around and seek revege for complaining to their boss... Any company that can stand by allowing theft, intrusion, lying, and petty vindictiveness to exist within their ranks is not a good choice for you to put your saftey and trust in.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank zuzu27
Napier, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Asked for a non smoking room - got a room that smelt strongly of smoke. Bad area of town - didn't feel safe , good price for Salt Lake City - 55 dollars for two before tax. Walls thin, noisy - security guard walking round all night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple