“Not What I Expected”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I persuaded my colleague to change our reservations from the Sheraton to Hotel Monaco based on the overwhelming number of five star reviews of other travelers, and was disappointed. First, this is an old hotel, there are no flat screen tvs, the throws on the bed look worn and the toilet mechanism was rusted. When I checked in, the receptionist told me that they were heavily booked but she would give me the biggest king room available. Phew! Thank goodness she didn’t give me the smallest one, because my king room was small and pokey. However, I was not spending much time in my room on this trip, so I decided to let it go. The receptionist had warned me that my window looked out directly on another building, and offered to move me if it bothered me. I said a room with no view would be fine. My complacency, however, began to wear over the two nights I stayed there. After one flush of the toilet, the chain came off the handle arm, requiring me to flush the toilet by lifting the cover off the tank, and putting my hand down into the tank to pull on the chain. I notified reception, and while I was drinking cheap plonk down in the lobby someone “fixed” my toilet. Alas, I only got one or two flushes out of it when the chain came off again. After breakfast the next morning, I informed reception of this situation, and they took care of it promptly. I didn’t tell her about by tepid shower that morning because I felt bad enough complaining about the toilet. When I had a cold shower the next morning and was, therefore, unable to wash my hair, I was less forgiving. To add insult to injury, my waiter in the “best restaurant in Salt Lake” i.e., Bombara, was completely inattentive, chatting away at the waiter’s station while I waved furiously at him for a good five minutes to get his attention. Briefly, I will add that my co-worker and I decided to splurge on dinner the night before at Bombara. Being from San Francisco, I am spoiled in terms of eating out. But, they really did plug the restaurant there as the best in the city. I had duck with braised kale, both of which were tough, the duck overcooked, and the braised kale probably under cooked. Not impressed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed May 4, 2010

We were looking for a luxury hotel for our honeymoon and was told to consider the Monaco. I booked a suite on one of the higher floors with a jacuzzi tub and attached conference room. It was very pricey, in the range of $300 a night, but that was not unexpected.

The parking lot is right next to the hotel entrance but you have to pay for it ($10-$15). And every time you want your car you have to tip a valet to go get it even though you could walk right over to it. As we were there for three days we came and went a lot and I got really tired of shelling out money for valet tips. I don't like to be cheap but when someone walks to your car parked 30 feet away and drives it over to you and then expects a few dollars it gets ridiculous.

The check-in staff was nice and friendly, but really uninterested in us. Unless you initiated the conversation they usually ignored you. The concierge was really nice though. We never saw the cleaning staff but they did a good job.

The room was phenomenal and I really loved it. The bed was comfortable, the TV was large and the tub was huge and deep. The conference room was also really nice, though we had no use for it. The view was beautiful, especially at night. The conference room actually had a better view than the room as it was situated on a corner and had three or four windows.

The room amenities included a lepard print bathrobe for my wife and I (nice touch) and some high end bath products, but that was all. There was a tray of "essentials" in the room but the prices were outrageous. It was sad that for $300 a night they couldn't include a least a bottled water or any hygiene products. When I stayed at Hotel America for 1/3 the price they treated us better and even called the room on check-in to make sure we liked it and to see if we had any special requests. Monaco did not do anything like that and if we did request something you could expect to pay a 300% mark up on it.

In the end we did enjoy the room and the location, but because the hotel doesn't do anything to make you feel welcome or appreciated we would never go back. And the hotel is very cramped if you aren't in the actual suite. Small rooms, small bathrooms, narrow hallways and a cramped, ancient elevator.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justin D
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This was a truly incredible hotel! Very unique in its decor, but fun, clean, and modern. Room was large with a great view. You have the option of "adopting" a guppy for the night which was a fun added touch. Location is amazing, and if you are unsure of where to go for dinner ask at the front desk. They recommended an Italian place to us (Caffe Molise) which was about 5 minutes away and had by far the best Italian food we've ever had outside of Italy (and was probably better than some Italian food IN Italy!!). No breakfast included, but the hotel restaurant has amazing food (but on the pricier side). Valet parking is expensive - but there is a garage right next door for about 1/3 the price. Would return to this hotel in a second!

Reviewed April 19, 2010

I have been a frequent visitor to this hotel and have never been disappointed. The staff is extrememly attentive and pays attention to every little detail and are always very helpful. I love the boutique decor of the hotel. It's fun, yet classy and the differnet patters and colors make you feel relaxed, along with the laid back atmosphere. Perfect place for a little rest and relaxation which was just what we needed. It's right in the heart of downtown and is basically within walking distance to anything. We will definitely be back and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

We were driving from Phoenix to Jackson Hole and decided to break our trip in Salt Lake. I went online to find hotels and Hotel Monaco seemed like a decent place to stay for a night. We were pleasantly surprised by the decor, rooms and central location However, the best feature was clearly their staff who were courteous and went out of there way to help.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

When I entered the Hotel Monaco, I instantly felt at home. The staff was inviting and made me feel welcome. The hotel was cozy and my room was delightful. I haven't slept that good in years. I will be back again soon, and often.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I am a repeated customer at this hotel. I travel to SLC quarterly and always stay at the Monaco. The service is great, the staff pleasant and helpful. I recommend using their valet services for parking. The hotel is only a few minutes from great restaurants (including the one in the hotel) such as Takashi, The Melting Pot and so forth. The views are OK, but not great. Also, if you are travelling alone, they will set you up with your own gold fish companion. I named mine Sir Wiggle-A-Lot.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business