“Best Hotel in SLC”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Best Hotel in SLC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Staff and service are phenomenal. The on-site dining options are exceptional. The size,cleanliness and amenities in the room are all top of the line. Location is convenient to all downtown destinations. This is a true five star Hotel. Highly recconend!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Topeka, Kansas, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed the 3 nights I stayed at the hotel. My room was extremely small but comfortable. The employees were very courteous and helpful. The double bed was wonderful. There was a free safe in the room. My main complaint was they charged $12.99 a day for WiFi in my room. All I wanted to do was read my hometown newspaper on my iPad and it wasn't worth $12.99. If it wasn't for the WiFi cost I would have given the hotel 5 stars. The elevators were very small but there were 3 elevators and the wait time was short.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
st louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I stay here a week at a time approximately 6 times a year. They know me, often reserve my favorite room and deliver a level of service that is excellent on every level. One evening as I walked the hall to the elevator as manager gave the gift of a bottle of Cabernet. Unexpected delight.

• Stayed April 2014
Incline Village, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Spent two nights in a very comfortable room. This hotel is centrally located in an old building that adds to the character of the stay. We ate dinner in their restaurant where the service was great and both meals, king salmon and scallops, were delicious. The staff couldn't have treated us nicer. While I initially had concerns about downtown valet parking, with my big crew cab truck, the short drive from the freeway and the parking experience was a breeze.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

My 14 year old son and I spent 3 nights at Hotel Monaco while looking at schools near SLC. I made the reservation on the Kimpton webpage and advised that we would be arriving very late and provided our flight number with arrival time. About a week before arrival I got the standard email offering options for upgraded rooms based on availibility which I agreed to.

We pulled up to the hotel after midnight and there was no one outside or near the door. I went inside and asked for help and someone appeared quickly. He asked me if I had a reservation and I said that I did so he says "the hotel is overbooked and we are sending guests to another hotel so I'm not going to move your luggage or park your car for now". Needless to say, this was not the type of warm welcome I'm accustomed to at a Kimpton Hotel.

Once I got to reception they did have a room for me but the clerk was not at all friendly and made no mention that room had been upgraded at a cost. I realized once I got in the room and saw that it was a king bed small suite vs. the two double beds that I had booked. I called down to recepetion and they sent someone up to make up the sofa bed. The room was comfortable and typical of what I would expect.

On our second day we left the hotel early in the morning and returned about 3pm. The room had not been cleaned. We had shopping bags so the bellboy was with us. Once he saw the room was not clean he offered to have it done in the evening while we were at dinner which I thought was a fair option. We went to dinner and the room was still dirty when we returned. When I called down to reception they sent a few unfolded towels and that was it.

We ordered room service one day mid afternoon which is a very limited menu. The food was fine.

At checkout I mentioned that I was disappointed in the check in process and as a compensation the clerk removed the $30 room service charge. I felt that I should have been told on check in that my room had been upgraded and what the rate had changed to. I have no problem paying since I was looking for the upgrade anyway.

I will be visiting SLC frequently since my son will be studying near there. I'm not sure whether I will choose Monaco again. There really are no 5 star hotels in SLC so I guess I'll have to decide whether to give Monaco another try or go to a large chain hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Just spent an extended weekend here and loved everything about this hotel. The decor is beautiful and the staff was universally pleasant and helpful. They add many little extras that make the stay even more special. I had a room with double beds that was very spacious. The luxurious bedding and C.O.Bigelow bath products are a nice touch. The hotel hosts a nightly complimentary wine happy hour for guests in the lobby from 5-6 pm which includes a tasty little snack from the hotel's highly rated restaurant Bambara -- a welcome gesture at the end of the day. For Kimpton In-Touch members, in-room wireless internet is free. They also offer all guests the free use of bicycles, a gold fish in your room (on request), yoga mats in every room, and (I don't know whether this was just a special promotion) a $10 credit for the hotel bar or mini-bar. This is a pricey boutique, but check the Kimpton's website for special promotions -- I got a great rate that way. Also, on Foursquare there was a 'free upgrade' special. The hotel is conveniently located downtown next to the Gallivan Center light rail stop. From the airport, it was a straight shot, 20 minutes and just $2.50.

Green Features: Letting guest choose to not have towels changed everyday and providing recycle waste baskets in the rooms are a great effort. The low-flow shower heads might be a deal-breaker for some folks -- I didn't care because everything else about this place was so terrific.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Logan, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I love all the Kimptons that I've visited and this one is no exception. It's in an older building in downtown Salt Lake. You can walk to the theater, the restaurants, and many sight-seeing destinations. The service is excellent. I think it's very comfortable and unique. I will always choose a Kimpton if there's one available where we're traveling.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple