“Great Hotel and staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“Great Hotel and staff”
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Great Hotel, good location - we always stay here when we are in town. The rooms are clean, staff is friendly and they have a nightly wine and beer social. The access is good to the ski resorts and restaurants. The rooms can be a little small, but the only real negative is the high nightly parking charge. Wireless internet is free.

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Parking charges
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steveman1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I was deciding between staying here or at the Marriott and had reservations at both. What swayed me was an email from Kimpton offering a reduced rate for an upgrade to a suite at check-in if available. Good marketing on their part. Overall I was pleased with the experience. Room was large and comfy, good linens and pillows. Downsides were the noise from the street (not terrible, but request a rear-facing room if you're sensitive) and somewhat shady valet attendants. Knowing already that street parking was available (valet is $15.50/night), I still asked the guy when we pulled up what the options were. He said we could park across the street at another garage for $15 but that street parking was only for one hour and we probably couldn't find a spot anyway. During the day it is for an hour, but after 6:00 p.m. and weekends it's free (it was 7:00 p.m when we arrived) and it took me 2 minutes to find a spot. I'm sure they want their tip, but it certainly doesn't endear me to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daoda2
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Clean, nice and bright room. Very close to tram. Great location. Friendly staff.

• Liked — The bright room and stereo
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I had arrived via red-eye to the Monaco who were able to provide me with a room immediately upon my arrival. The room was large, colorful, and light-filled. The bed was very comfortable, and the amenity of a fish in the guestroom was a unique feature (for some reason I had a different one each day). Well within walking distance of the Gateway (outdoor shopping area) & Temple Square; friendly staff - always willing to help. Wine & massage hour at 6 was a treat - allowed for interaction between other guests of hotel.

Only two things I was a bit disappointed on; the restaurant was closed while I was there (Memorial Day Weekend) & there wasn't much of a view - which I got over really quickly as I could see the mountains lurking in the background.

Overall, fantastic value, kind staff & I hope to go back when visiting my friends in the area!

• Liked — The decor, the staff
  • Disliked — Restaurant being closed!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank bellatraveller
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My wife and I stayed here on the first two nights of our honeymoon. The hotel was wonderful and the service matched it. We got in late as you would imagine (~2am) and still they brought up the bottle of bubbly and chocolate covered strawberries included with our package.

We stayed in a corner suite. It was clean and so large we couldn't even begin to use it all, even though we tried as we seldom left the room. The jacuzzi bath was large enough for two and I am a large man. L'Occitane's soap is one of the best smelling soaps there is. Lastly, the room offered an amazing view of the city.

We paid $249 per night for a one bedroom suite with the "romance package", which included valet parking. This was the best value of the honeymoon which led us through Tahoe and Carmel, CA.

Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in and will always have a found place in my heart. We have since stayed at another Kimpton hotel based on the experience here. That one was wonderful as well

• Liked — The lovely room!
  • Disliked — That we only stayed two days.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank law20
New York, NY
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Stayed there for three night. It's fairly nice, but not that impressive. For people who are concerned about Parking, there are plenty of public parking space as well as meter parking around that area, but the area is quite scary.. Lots of homeless people walking around.

We also left our internet cable in the hotel, called their reception desk a couple of times, no one called me back to tell me if they found it. That was quite disappointing~

• Liked — Decor of the room
  • Disliked — Room is very, location is not very safe, and no response from their services desk after my request
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
San Mateo
Reviewed April 12, 2008

I stayed one night at the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City in early April, 2008. The night before I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown in Salt Lake City. The HGI was far superior overall at a far lower price. The Monaco was ok, but in a direct back-to-back stay experience the HGI was a clear winner.

Both of the hotels were clean and well maintained, but the HGI is newer and fresher. The Monaco room decor was a bit tired. Both hotels had good shower heads over tub.

The only things better at the Monaco were the soap, a robe, a more comfortable chair and the Bambara Restaurant. The HGI was better in the following ways:

Full suite for $199 at HGI vs. junior suite at $339 plus $15.50 for valet parking at Monaco. Larger room, larger bath, more bath counter space at HGI. Two windows at HGI, one at Monaco. Flat-panel TVs with excellent reception at the HGI; older, conventional TVs with fuzzy reception at the Monaco. Free self-parking at HGI; pay valet parking at Monaco with 10-15 minute wait for car to be brought from remote location. Outstanding business center at HGI with 3 free computers, printer, multi-function machine, scanner in nice enclosed room vs. two credit-card activated computers in the open lobby at the Monaco. I think the computer charge at the Monaco was $6 for some length of time, but I didn't use because of having to pay.

The Bambara Restaurant is very good, but you don't have to stay at the Monaco to eat there.

In summary, I had a far better experience in a much larger and nicer suite and really enjoyed the business center at the HGI for $155.50 per night less cost than the Monaco. I also thought the Monaco front desk staff was a tad condescending. The staff at the Bambara was great. The two hotels are about five blocks apart with the Monaco in a slightly better location.

On my next trip to Salt Lake City I will pass on the Monaco and return to the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown and save more than $150 per night while having a more pleasant stay.

• Liked — Location and restaurant
  • Disliked — Credit-card activated computers in lobby
  • Stayed April 2008