“An unexpected delight”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“An unexpected delight”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I spent two nights at this boutique-like hotel very close to everything in Salt Lake City. Admittedly I was here for a meeting but as an experience, this hotel exceeded my expectation. The room was large, friendly, comfortable with midern amenities. The temperature control was perfect (good for a visitor from a hot summer in Australia arriving to sub-freezing maximium temperatures) aand everything worked. The checkin staff were friendly and accommodating.

Joining (for free) the Kimpton loyalty program (in Touch) provided terrific benefits: free high-speed wifi and $10 minibar items to take without charge (no alcohol in the minibar). At 5pm there was the unexpected surprise of free wine tasting (yes, this is in Utah) and massages.

One dinner at the on-site restaurant Bambara cinfirmed that the reviews of this place as a great steak restaurant were not misplaced.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco many times, and I've never been disappointed. The service is outstanding. Every member of the staff is polished, helpful, and courteous. The bathrooms are spacious, and the room decor is modern. There is a hosted wine hour in the lobby every evening, sometimes featuring live music. It's a festive, sophisticated atmosphere. The hotel's restaurant, Bambara, is a little overpriced, but the food is delicious. This hotel is my favorite place to stay in Salt Lake City. It is consistently excellent, and conveniently located downtown.

• Stayed February 2013
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was just fine it frankly feels more like a converted Hilton than a true boutique - the rooms are standard 'box hotel' style with some furniture upgrades.
Breakfast was fine, and the dining room was nice.
Good central Salt Lake location.

If you really like true 'boutique' this will disappoint.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I were greeted by a very friendly valet service ($17.00 added to your hotel bill) which was quick and courteous. Check in was a snap, and our entrance to the room was well briefed by our concierge Doug.

The hotel has a great character and ambiance. Some eclectic qualities that go well with the historical backdrop.

We didn't eat at the Bambara, we did however walk 2 blocks to Takashi Sushi which was exquisite.

The accommodations were great. Bed was a bit warm but comfy.

If I were to make a suggestion, Monaco needs to offer free muffins or something for those who do not want to spend $18 on an omelet with orange juice.

Overall, it was a great getaway. Rooms are well insulated too. No neighbors were bothered by our night sounds.

I

Room Tip: The deluxe is good for one night, but if you stay multiple nights, opt for the larger spaces.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Monaco during a business trip for 3 days and I had a terrible experience. When I arrived to the hotel, I stayed in the lobby to catch up with my work emails. As I was out of battery, I needed to plug my charger to the outlet nearby.

A couple of seconds later the “gentleman” sitting next to me told me that the cable could trip someone passing by. I was sitting near the wall and it was not a busy passing way. Therefore, I told the “gentleman” accordingly that no-one is passing and I could warn them if people do so. The “gentleman” immediately accused me for being an [--]. When I invited him to talk in a gentle way and requested him to talk with the hotel officers if he thinks it is a problem, he stood up in front of my seat and started to threaten me saying if there were not other people he would do something else to me. I had my worst hospitality experience and I did not feel secure in this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MF K
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel is a very trendy, upscale hotel in downtown SLC that exceeds expectations in service and comfort. Nicely appointed, staff is always very willing to help and hotel decor is fun and trendy. This is a solid 4 star hotel with an excellent restaurant named Bambara. Definitely recommend eating at this restaurant during your stay. Some of the best hotel cuisine I have had in sometime. Overall, this hotel is very upscale while also being a great value. I would absolutely stay here again the next time I am in SLC!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed January 30, 2013

From the time we walked in the door the staff was friendly, inviting, helpful and attentive. We were going to a concert in the area and I decided to turn the rest of the weekend into a surprise for my daughters 30th birthday. I mentioned this when I made the reservation, to my surprise they upgraded our room when we got there so it would join the room next door for our guests arriving the next day. The setup was perfect, great furnishings and the best part was 3 bathrooms for six women! There were notes left for the birthday girl, a bottle of wine and an adopted fish. We had a complimentary wine hour in the evening and coffee and hot chocolate in the mornings. They also recommended Mario at VIP Transportation for our driving needs and that was awesome as well. I would highly recommend this hotel, Ricky and the staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: We were in a corner suite and the view from every window was amazing. The trees on the city streets...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I remember the story about our team finding out how they could enhance your stay. I know we almost let the cat out of the bag when we were talking to you about the details of what we were going to do and I am happy it worked out for everyone.

Our Majestic Suite does connect with a room with 2 queen beds and is the best accomodations for a family or a fun girls getaway or in your case both. :-)

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Warmest Regards,