“Lovely and stylish, with a great location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon, and it was a very nice stop on our road trip. We were a little apprehensive about being a gay couple in Utah, but the staff at the Monaco put us right at ease. We arrived just before the end of their complimentary wine hour in the lobby - a lovely surprise!

They were kind enough to upgrade us to a junior suite with a large sitting area, and the decor was sleek and the bed comfortable. The hotel's right on the light rail line, which is free downtown, so it couldn't be more convenient.

One small, weird detail: the bathroom counter was unusually high. It was fine for us, but if you're short this could be annoying!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with our team. Our wine hour goes on from 5pm-6pm everyday, and we offer some appetizers from Bambara as well as host complimentary Chair Massages. I hope you were able to enjoy it on some of the other days during your stay.

I noticed we upgraded your room to our Monte Carlo Suite, which some of them have "Tall" finishes. We call these our "Tall Rooms". I apologize we didn't inform you of that feature before you got to the room and I can see how it could be an odd experience if you didn't know.

We have a variety of different products and services to cater to everyone. We don't welcome diversity we celebrate it. I am happy we made you and your husband feel welcomed.

Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was on business but the hotel was worth the trip to Salt Lake City and the people were so friendly it was scary. I am from NYC not use to every body smiling and being happy. I recommend this place to any one visiting SLC.

Room Tip: This hotel is worth the trip to Salt Lake City and the service was excellent. It is in walking dista...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank umdcyberdoc

Thank you for your review - we do have a friendly bunch of employees working here. Each day I am surprised with the cool experiences my team creates for our guests as well as for each other.
Our Kimpton Properties in NYC lead with the same service culture here as well. Eventi - A Kimpton Hotel has some of the most amazing views of the city. I hear some guests receie surprises with Cup Cake Monsters.... How Cool!

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

My first stay didn't go so well. However, this stay more than made up for it. Room was clean and large, room service was great, the staff was extremely friendly. The location was perfect. Right in the heart of shops and restaurants. Easy walk to Temple Square. Will probably be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your excellent review! So glad we got it right this time! We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My family and I spent 3 nights here in Jan. 2013 on a business trip. The staff are friendly, very helpful and above all professional. The rooms are clean, the restaurant is superb and we had a great time. I was even able to get the upgrade to a suite and that made that much better. The only down side is that the fitness facilities are quite small and their is no pool, however it's in the heart of downtown with tons of great food offerings within a short walk. I couldn't have asked for a better time in SLC.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for your great comments! I know our fitness center is a little small so next time you are here we will get you all set up at a gym just a few blocks from the hotel. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I just got married and stayed at this hotel. There was an older lady who checked us in and she upgraded us to a King bed which we didn't even ask for. We were so grateful. As a very young couple we like staying at nice hotels however being very down to earth and young we hate pretentious people especially at these types of hotels, however this hotel exceeded our expectations and the staff were so friendly even if we did look like two young punks walking into a beautiful hotel.
The Valet parking staff were amazing we felt a little awkward having two men opening our doors taking our belongings and standing in the freezing temperatures just to take our car in and out all day long! The $17 day charge for this was definitely worth it! We felt terrible as we found out later that we are supposed to tip the staff and we did not tip them once...in saying this they did not change their service at all towards us and this is what makes this hotel so special in my eyes. We stayed at Vail at a very expensive hotel (The Sebastian) and this place was in my eyes appalling service compared to Hotel Monaco!
Will definitely stay here again if we visit Utah :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Congratulations on your wedding! We are so glad you stayed with us for such a special occasion. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and made us part of your celebration. Hope to see you both again soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a great place to stay in SLC. A short drive from the airport, it is in the heart of downtown. The convention center is a block or two away, and the UofU is a close walk, too. The hotel is 2 quick blocks from major shopping (Nordstrom, H&M, Restoration Hardware, Macy's, etc.) and solid restaurants. Temple Square is also only a 5 minute walk. The TRAX train runs right out front of the hotel, too.

The room was well decorated, if slightly on the small side for our family of 4. But the size was no issue at all. Beds were super comfortable. Bathroom was large and the shower had great hot water and water pressure.

The best feature of the hotel, though, was the service of the staff. From arrival it was like coming home again. I last stayed at this property in 2008. I was heartily welcomed back. My Kimpton membership, free to all, gave me free Internet, and my kids were treated with a coupon for a free movie! There is a wine happy hour every evening. There are kids drinks and a candy bar set up for the younger set...the candy bar is a beautiful display of large glass jars filled with colorful sweets ans a sign reading "Go ahead...no one is looking." Very cute.

Early morning brings the paper or papers of your choice plus complimentary hot coffee and it chocolate in the lobby.

Definitely would stay again and recommend to family and friends.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dsethiaz
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Hello!

Thanks so much for your review. We are so thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. It's nice when we are recognized for the fun creative stuff we do. Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Just like coming home. Staff are all friendly. The restuarant can't be beat. Has it all under one roof! Thanks for the amazing attention to detail. We always look forward to our stay. Even amazing with the kids.

• Stayed: December 2012