“Great Hotel in Downtown SLC”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently travelled to Utah on business. I work for a university, and I'm always delighted when a Kimpton property is available at the government rate. My co-worker and I stayed at the Hotel Moncaco for 5 nights.

The Monaco's rooms are spacious and well appointed. The white headboard are very royal looking! The bathroom was large with plenty of counter space. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

I enjoyed the pork duo at the bar downstairs in the Vault and of course the evening hosted wine reception!

The location is near the Mormon Temple, lots of shopping and restaurants, and a great hiking/jogging trail that's featured on a map in your room. If you're lucky enough to have your dog with you, the trail will lead you to an off leash dog area!

One exciting thing occurred during our stay: a man with a backpack bomb staked out a nearby location not far to the hotel and we had to evacuate at around 10 in the evening on the last night of our stay! The large, comfortable lobby made this event much less difficult. Within 15 minutes, the amazing staff had carted out wine, water, and sports drinks for everyone to enjoy. I was very impressed with their handling of the situation. The police eventually got the situation in hand and we were able to go back up to our rooms.

In short, highly recommend this property, whether for business or pleasure!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you so so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and we are thrilled that you enjoyed being our guest. See you soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I very much enjoyed staying at the Monaco. It was a perfect two-block walk to the LDS Temple Square -- walking north up Main Street. I stayed for three nights over General Conference weekend. The staff were very kind and even provided me with a roommate -- a goldfish. The room was lovely and I was even upgraded, for a minimal cost, to a suite -- which made my stay even more comfortable.

This is a lovely, upscale hotel, in every aspect. Very clean. Room service great. I felt safe the entire stay. I will definitely be returning.

A must NOT miss: The Bambara Restaurant located in hotel, also providing room service. Five star!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kskags
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was our first stay at a Kimpton hotel on our way back home to Los Angeles from Montana. We chose to stay here because of location and the fact that the hotel was dog friendly. Those last two words are a severe understatement! Our Min Pin Neema was treated like royalty.

I highly recommend you join their InTouch member rewards program. We got a low-cost massive room upgrade, free mini bar raid, free internet and a credit towards a future free stay.

Upon entering our room, we discovered a card written to Neema signed by the staff.with a bag of treats. We took Neema downstairs to meet the staff and then joined the free wine social, appetizers and a free shoulder massage. Neema sat in a high chair in her Coco Channel dress enjoying all the attention from staff and guest.

We read great reviews on the restaurant Bambara but didn't want to leave Neema alone in the room. So we decided to talk to the Restaurant manager to see if we could order and take food up. To our delight he stated, "Well Neema is well dressed for dinner why don't you join us here". WHAT! Well they happened to have two tables outside the main restaurant where we were allowed dine with Neema at our side. She happily took a doggie bag upstairs to enjoy her meal there.

It made for a very special stay for us and our beloved pet. On our way out, Neema stopped to thank the staff and take a photo.

I'm sure this will be a first of many souvenir photos that Neema will take with staff! Next stop Kimpton's Argonaut San Francisco!

Room Tip: Sign up for In-Touch and when you make a reservation online you'll get an e-mail with room upgra...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello!

We are so thrilled to hear that you and Neema had a wonderful time here. We LOVE being pet friendly! Hope you had a great time at the Argonaut - hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We knew from our last visit in January that we liked this hotel. We stay at Kimpton when we can and are usually pleased with the brand. The properties are never the same, the decor is always interesting, often quirky (a good thing) and the buildings historic and interesting. Nothing cookie-cutter about a Kimpton.

In the last two weeks we stayed at two fine hotels, the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills and the Ritz Carlton in Georgetown in the District of Columbia. Top hotels, best in their class, great service. We prefer Kimpton style and service.

The restaurant was closing for the afternoon when we wandered in at 2:00 pm, starving, having just arrived from DC via Denver. They not only stayed and served us, but lunch was delicious. The brisket sandwich with a glass of Argentinian Malbec revived us for the business meeting that evening. The next night we ordered two glasses of wine from room service and it was delivered to our room by Audrey, charming and so friendly that she brought my glass to the desk where I was too exhausted to get up. Felt like home. And I guess that is why we are drawn to the Monaco, it does feel like home. Low key, friendly, efficient (the desk called the night before our early am departure to suggest that we have him arrange our taxi in advance to ensure a quick "get away." that's what I mean. They anticipate you and try to make it all work for you. Hope we have an opportunity to visit again. Loved this hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Good Morning,

We can't thank you enough for taking the time to post your recent experience with us. Nothing is better than having a fan like you! We really try everyday to make our guest experience memorable in a positive way and I'm thrilled that we were able to deliver that to you. Take care and see you again soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We're huge fans of all Kimpton Hotels, but the SLC Monaco in particular. Our second visit was a great experience. Friendly staff. Clean, large, and comfortable room. And the parking valets... I've never seen such speed! The hotel is in a great location in downtown within walking distance to excellent restaurants and shopping. Light rail is available just around the corner.

Room Tip: Corner king rooms have great city and mountain views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello TacomaGuys!

Thanks so much for your recent review. I'm so thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I couldn't agree more, our King Premier rooms are the BEST! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I love Kimpton properties and this one didn't disappoint.

I booked the "wine" package & had a bottle waiting for me on arrival. I called to see if I could get it switched out for white (I'm allergic to red) and they were very accommodating. Called to place a room service order while waiting for the new bottle & the girl bringing my wine took my order by hand and then brought it back to me herself.

Comfy beds, nice bathrooms, very clean.

Join InTouch...it's worth it for the free Internet & $10 minibar credit.

• Stayed: October 2012

Good Morning Solarablue,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. So glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will be back again soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is in great location in downtown SLC. Great decor and staff as usual with Kimpton hotels. The hotel was undergoing renovations while we were there, so walking around block from valet service was a pain, but too bad. The hotel staff was very apologetic. The onsite restaurant was ok. We like trying new places when traveling so found nice places to eat in the neighborhood. The hotel is few blocks from Temple Square and new city mall. Bathroom was a bit small. Definitely skip minibar and bottled water for sale because way overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bk_essence

Good Morning,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I know it was a little difficult getting around during our renovation and I appreciate your patience. Our renovation is complete and it looks amazing. Hope you will be back to see it soon.