“Peerless service in a classy, comfortable hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Peerless service in a classy, comfortable hotel”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Very friendly, welcoming professional staff who gave us an upgrade to a beautiful suite as we were on honeymoon complete with wine in our room. Suite was gorgeous with cute furnishings and I loved the fun animal print robes too. Free coffee in the morning and the wine and nibble hour was a lot of fun and a great start to a night on the town. Utterly excellent stay in a good, central location. Loved it here and can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Room very clean. Valets & bellmen very courteous. Room small, with a goldfish bowl taking up lot of space on desk. Not a lot of flat room to put things. $10 free from minibar. Great disappointment because restaurant & bar were closed on arrival bec. of Labor Day. We paid for this 'perk' in our room rate but did not get it. Had to leave hotel for dinner after a long trip on the road. Also, breakfast was not complimentary & price of breakfast was rather on the high side. All things in consideration, we feel we did not get the value that we paid for in this much touted hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuzanneJ
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here on a one night business trip to Salt Lake City. Room was nice and clean, little small for the money. Front desk agent was nice. She told me all about the property. Not really needed for a one night stay. Within walking distance to everything, mall, right aide and more close by. Called down the next day to make sure I had a taxi waiting to get to the airport. When I walked out not a taxi on site. No worries I was early. Next thing I know a town car pulls up. I really don't mind taking town cars but when you are expensing it to the company it's hard to explain a town car / limo receipt to the boss. They explained it would be the same price as a cab. Well, it wasn't the same price. Only $5 more but again hard to explain to the boss. Cab ride to the airport $20.00 and about 15 - 20 minutes away from the airport. Nice place a little over priced. Will I stay again?? Depends on the price, I think anything under $125 it would be worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
nyc
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel upwards of 20 times and always had a great experience. And I should have reviewed it then. However, the last stay was a pretty frustrating experience from beginning to end. I've also been an Inner Circle member (but am not this year), which may or may have impacted how I was treated.

At any rate, as others have noted here, the customer service is abominable - starting at the top. I left a message for the GM to chat with her after checking out and never heard back. Wow - not what you'd expect for a Kimpton property. Guess I'll contact the CEO.

They need a complete overhaul of staff here to restore what was a great hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank doodles4306
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Good Morning!

I can't tell you how sorry I am for the lack of my response and the poor customer service you experienced during your stay. I would love they opportunity to speak with you.

Warmest Regards,

MaryLynn Beck
New York
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel for a while. My daughter made the reservation for me however when I called the hotel the "rude" snob who answered the phone said that there was no reservation for me although I gave him the confirmation number and spelled my name several times. I therefore made reservations at another hotel (which by the way is awful) but when my daughter called the hotel back she said the other personnel who answered the phone were very nice and did in fact find my reservation. However, I thought that if I was going to be treated so rudely on the phone, I did not want to deal with any staff in person, I was "fined" $172 for my trouble. I know people love this place but I am very distressed with my experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vita101
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City is very conveniently located. It has an advantage (for downtown hotel) of having an off street entrance for arrivals and valet parking. Everyone employee we met was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a nice size, clean, and comfortable. We were not able to take advantage of the afternoon social/wine hour, but it looked like fun. All in all, we highly recommend the Monaco (and will be checking into other Kimpton hotels when we have the opportunity).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very accommodating staff. Great restaurant (Bambara) which is located within the hotel. The cocktail lounge (The Vault) makes great martinis.
Have stayed several times and enjoyed it much. This hotel is very nice, newly renovated lobby. They are also pet friendly!!!!
The wine social hour is a huge hit as are the largie jars of candy they leave out.
Overall, the entire hotel is well run.

Room Tip: We like the large Suite on the 14th floor.