“The longer I stayed the more I liked it”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“The longer I stayed the more I liked it”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel has character and personality - I thought it was OK at first, but liked it more each day I stayed. I would definitely stay again. Some of the nice features - always had the door opened by the valets, the lobby has a great feel and there is coffee in the AM and wine/massage/candy in the PM, restaurant has great food with windows looking out on the street, the rooms are clean and comfortable (but, small), and has a good location downtown near shopping, restaurants, and other downtown attractions. Like the architecture (an old bank) and the fact is pet-friendly. The only downsides were the size of the room and it is a bit expensive. I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I was right next to the elevator and never heard it...but, was on the backside of the hotel and the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank michigantraveler29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Very clean, very comfortable, extremely friendly staff. No free breakfast – but there’s coffee & tea in the lobby. No free wi-fi (too bad). Valet parking only, at $17 per night, but they are very fast & friendly about bringing your car around. The restaurant is expensive, but very good food/drinks, very swift & friendly service. We stayed there one night on arrival in Utah & another night just before leaving, as we were on a trip to see the canyons. On our arrival night, the toilet worked fine but the next morning it didn’t want to flush. As were checking out anyway, we didn’t ask them to fix it – they may have come right away – they seem like that kind of place. We did report it to the desk as we were checking out. That is the only slight negative I have on this hotel. Also the elevator doors seem to close very quickly, giving you not much time to get your luggage in if you have a lot of stuff. Have someone enter & hold the door open! Oh, and given our experience with air conditioning at a hotel in Bryce Canyon City, I have to say Hotel Monaco appears to have central air – rather than an in-room unit – which is GREAT! I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Taking a business trip during my beach vacation wasn't on my agenda. However, staying at the Monaco Kimpton made my business trip seem like part of my vacation. From the front desk greeting me by my first name, to the fabulously comfy room, to the wine tasting each evening, and the tasty treats in the lobby, I felt like a pampered pooch! Oh yeah, the hotel is pet friendly, wish I realized I could "borrow a goldfish"!!! The entire staff was focused on my enjoyment and comfort. It's obvious they actually care about your stay there and make every effort to ensure you will return again. During room service my server asked if I was enjoying my complimentary bottle of wine. I casually mentioned that I really prefer white wine. He immediately returned with a bottle of my favorite. Loved the wonderfully decorated hotel..definitely not boring! I highly recommend this hotel if you like great customer service, lots of extras, and find run of the mill cookie cutter hotels boring! Great downtown location convenient to highways, Temple Square, local transportation.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Monaco while I was in SLC for a conference. My friends were staying at another hotel, but my group was booked into the Monaco. What luck! Loved the quirky contrasting patterns and vibrant colors of the decor; room was spacious and elegant. And the leapard pattern robe--if I had had room in my suitcase I might have bought it to bring it home! I so enjoyed my stay here that I am prepared to forgive them for never sending up the hot water / kettle I requested. The hotel was packed and I guess it got lost in the hubbub. What if next year my group goes to another hotel??? I will be gutted. But I suspect they enjoyed the hotel as much as I did. The only thing that could have improved my stay was free wi-fi, which really should just be gratis if you stay in the hotel. But, anyway, big thumbs up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed here while attending a conference. Most everyone elsebstayed at the gargantuan monstrosity host hotel down the street. The Monaco with its striped wallpaper, chintz chairs and comfy beds was much more comforting and welcoming. A study in tasteful elegance. We even ordered a goldfish for a pet-just because we could!

Room Tip: They are all lovely.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was my second stay in as many trips to Salt Lake City. One gets a feel of slightly quirky-comfy-elegance here, which is disarming and welcoming. The lobby is warm and inviting, with little treats here and there - a glass bowl filled with Tootsie Roll Pops wearing a sign that says, “go ahead, no one is looking”, another bowl with a live goldfish at the check-in counter. In fact, I understand that you can have the company of a goldfish in your room during your stay (I did not take advantage of this amenity).

The rooms are comfortable too, with big tufted headboards over comfy bedding, animal print terry robes, and a fun assortment of mini bar goodies including grippy-bottomed cushy socks.

I returned hungry to the hotel one night after the restaurant had closed. The bar was still open but no food was being served, I was able to take an adult bevie to my room and dial up room service. They were out of what I wanted, but the nice person on the phone quickly thought up an alternative option (which was not on the menu...shhh!).

In the morning I enjoyed a very delicious breakfast (asparagus/mushroom/cheese omelette) in the onsite restaurant, Bambara. The decor is reminiscent of dining in Italy with white linens, and an open kitchen surrounded by a white marble counter. The service was excellent, and they have the most yummy breakfast jams!

One thing to note, they don’t really have self-parking - you’d have to find a spot in one of the pay-to-park garages - so I valet parked at $17 (which I believe was less than the 24hr cost of the nearest parking garage), and the nice valets were very pleasant about retrieving and parking my car several times during my stay.

All in all, this is a very nice boutiquey place to stay in downtown Salt Lake City.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel was great all around and in a great location. The hotel is very clean and kept up nicely. The king bed hotel room was pretty large with lots of open space and was well lit. The room was in very good condition with nice air conditioning. The internet was very good and fast and the TV was a nice LCD flat panel. The king bed was comfortable and the curtains closed completely to keep any light from peeking through the window. The bathroom was small but had nice water pressure and the shower was great. Definitely a great place to stay. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business