“Luxurious and Clean!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montgomery Village, Maryland
“Luxurious and Clean!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City at the start of our two-week trip and again at the end of the trip to see Yellowstone and Glacier Parks. Both stays were excellent. The hotel was quiet and the rooms are comfortable and clean. My wife and I saw some of the staff steam cleaning room carpets and tile grout! The staff is very friendly, and were helpful in telling us about some unique things to see and do in Salt Lake City. The beds are very luxurious; soft sheets and pillow-top mattresses. Room carpets and bathrooms also seemed very clean.

As a side note, the hotel restaurant, Bambara, was a top-notch place to dine. We tried mussels, lamb shank (my wife had that two nights in a row) and steak frites. The food is fresh and local as much as possible, and the results are spectacular. Even the bruschetta with the afternoon manager's wine tasting were outstanding.

Not much more to look for in an excellent hotel; great wait staff, clean and extremely comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I've traveled throughout the West for business, and through an odd quirk in our travel schedules, my wife and I decided to rendezvous in Salt Lake City. We could not have found a better hotel! The Hotel Monaco proved the ideal spot for an "urban romantic" getaway. The rooms were decorated in a fun, quirky style. The beds were plush and comfortable. The bellhops were incredibly helpful with my surprise of champagne for my wife -- the whole place was like a throwback to the Mad Men era -- we absolutely loved it! If you have to stay overnight within the confines of SLC, recommend you get away from the airport and come downtown to this place!

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views and less noise
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Central Oregon
Reviewed June 5, 2011

The room was comfortable and luxurious. The bed and the quiet gave me a great night of sleep. I ate both dinner and breakfast in the excellent hotel restaurant. The hotel is close to downtown shopping, arts, and religious monuments.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2011

So over all I would say this is a solid 3 star hotel not 4 stars and I'm not just saying that because of the MAJOR screw up. Over all the hotel is clean, the robes in the room are a bit old and worn there were no slippers unless you wanted to pay for them. The room lay out is strange lots of wasted space and no out list to plug in phone charges and iPad charger. You had to un plug lamps to get to them. There really was nothing super special about this hotel. Maybe I'm just upset about what they did to my credit card, at time of booking I was charged the 3 day stay in full, I was ok with that but upon check in they charged me again for the full 3 days when I asked how much they would hold for any room charges I was told it would be $150 for the 3 days again they ran my card all of a sudden I was told my card was declined I was shocked. I quickly pulled up my account and saw they changed me over $1000 for a three day stay. The manager told me he would fix it, after a long run around with both the hotel and my bank nothing was resolved. My bank said the hotel needed to credit me back and the hotel said this was my banks issue. I was told by the hotel there was nothing they could do until I checked out but they did admit they over charged me. I half way expected and felt they should have Compt us a night or a meal but nothing was offered just a bottle on wine and a fruit plate that never showed up. After all this mess and on top of me being billed twice for the full stay they kept holding $100 a day leaving me over drawn in my accounting. I still have not had the charges reversed and placed back in my account. There screw up has really put a damper on my plans because well they are holdng my vacation spending money hostage. Over all I feel this hotel is over rated the turn down service is just some on closing the blinds that's not turn down to me. Also the tv remote didn't work unless you stood right at the tv. This hotel is really nothing special you can get the same if not better room and service at the Sheraton, hyatt or Hilton. I'm sure if I was at one of those hotel this screw up would nev have happend. Live and learn I just hope it doesn't happen to any one else cause it really sucks.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Jbliss83
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 3 days recently. We had a corner suite room, was just fantastic. Room is well appointed, clean, and very spacious. The hotel has excellent customer service. Every day there is wine and massages in the luxurious lobby at 5pm. The restaurant at the hotel is very good too. Wireless service (free for Kimpton Club members) was good. The only small negative might be that the location is close to downtown and parking is always by valet ($17 per day). Hotel is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
gmhotelmonaco, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you had a great experience with us and look forward you having you as our guest again.

Warmest Regards,

MaryLynn Beck
Moose, Wyoming
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I picked this hotel because of the "Pet Friendly" status. And they are very pet friendly! The room was very comfortable and quiet. There was a clean dog bed and stainless steel food bowl and water bowl waiting for us. Everyone was VERY nice and helpful, and all the staff were especially friendly to my canine companion. You can also "borrow" a gold fish for your stay, which I thought was a wonderful amenity.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone, with one negative that I would need to mention to my friends traveling with fido. The closest "grassy" area for your dogs convenience was a block and a half away (with one street crossing), which generally took about 7 minutes from leaving the hotel room (and going 11 flights down the elevator) to the area where my pup could do her business. That caused her a little distress. I also have to mention, that at home all I have to do is open the door and she is outside (free roaming) and on grass (or snow) immediately. I'm sure that other dogs might not have it as easy at home, and would be used to taking a longer walk on a leash to get to their "potty" area.

Other than that, I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2011
Hotel_Monaco_SLC, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Good Afternoon WyomingLass!

I was so happy to see that you and your pooch enjoyed your recent visit with us! I do apologize that there is not a closer location for you to take your dog to go potty. In the future, please let us know that you would prefer a lower floor and we will do our very best to accomodate that for you.

Warm Regards,

Shannon Foster
Assistant General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I stay in SLC frequently and this property. It is intimate has a great restaurant and the wine at 5pm with a massage is a nice touch. You can get the WSJ or New York Times in the morning which is great. I look ahead to stays in SLC now.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business