We arrived here after a week stay in the national parks and were expecting to find peace and quiet before heading back to the daily grind. After reading the many positive reviews, we were looking forward to a good night's rest from this Hampton Inn. The check in was smooth and the staff was kind and very professional, but the first clue as to this being a different Hampton experience was when we weren't offered the complimentary bottle of water, as is complimentary in other Hampton Inns in very dry Salt Lake City - instead, here you can purchase a bottle from the vending machine for two bucks.
The room was clean enough but pretty dated and stuffy, unlike the refurbished lobby. The room's rug definitely needs to be replaced and brought into the 21st century. The furniture was pretty drear and dated as well. The window treatments didn't provide any protection from the light when you are trying to sleep in (ie. no black out curtains). You could hear everything in the adjoining rooms, including every time your neighbors turned on the shower. The traffic outside woke me up everyday around 6AM, especially since the hotel is situated on a very busy area of Salt Lake City. Don't know if the noise is any better in other areas of the hotel. Our room, on the corner of the 5th floor, had a great view of the city, but the window's exterior was dirty and grimy and needed a major wash. The bed was very plush and comfortable and the television had every channel imaginable. The mini-fridge was not standard and can be requested if they are available. They have an indoor pool and hot tub located near the elevators which we never used.
This hotel looks like its very popular with bus tours as one was here during our stay. This makes for an interesting breakfast experience as you have a horde of sleepy people trying to put their breakfast together. The breakfast selections were fine (though the oatmeal and potatoes were undercooked one day) and the coffee was great. The breakfast staff was very helpful but understandably overwhelmed.
Another obvious problem was the location of the hotel, especially, if you want to walk around the neighborhood. The afternoon we arrived here we wanted to grab dinner nearby and soon realized that the surrounding area is full of vagrants. There is a state liquor store around the corner that seems to attract this type of crowd so be aware. We didn't have any problems with them but this underscored that the hotel is not situated in the best neighborhood (something we didn't read in any of the other reviews). If you are interested in driving in and out then this isn't a problem. There are many great restaurants nearby and lots of great walks near temple square.
This hotel seems better suited to tourist groups and families in buses or in cars that don't want to explore the city by foot. I do not recommend this hotel for couples or light sleepers. I was looking for a Hampton Inn experience and unfortunately never found it here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown is located just blocks from Temple Square, the Salt Palace Convention Center and the Energy Solutions Arena. We are within walking distance of shopping, restaurants and theaters, and only a short drive to most major attractions.Whether you come to Salt Lake City for business or pleasure, it makes sense to stay in a hotel with the same standard of comfort as the town it serves. The Hampton Inn® hotel in Salt Lake City-Downtown was designed to help you take advantage of the area with style, and to predict and satisfy your every business need...or vacation dream! Our spacious rooms feature king or queen-size beds and many small touches you will appreciate. You can count on our Salt Lake City hotel to offer the relaxing atmosphere and accommodations you deserve. Once you've arrived at our hotel, you'll find a lot of great amenities waiting for you in your room. Need to get some work done while you're with us? We offer free high-speed internet access in every guest room. Prop your laptop on our handy lap desk and type away while you watch TV. Or simply listen to your favorite kind of music by pressing one of the preset buttons on your room's alarm clock. When you're ready for some rest, hunker down for the night in our comfiest amenity yet: Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed.™ The Hampton Bed Experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown Hotel Salt Lake City
- Hampton Inn Downtown
- Salt Lake City Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn Salt Lake City-Downtown Utah