Review Highlights
Fun half day birding trip in SLC

My husband and I were planning a trip to the Salt Lake City area with friends. We are new to... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
bluebonnetb2
Dallas TX
Birding with Tim Avery and Pitta Nature Tours is an incredibly satisfying adventure!

Absolutely incredible experience! This was my second trip out to Utah to bird with Tim. My first... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
robertgB6881ZE

All reviews pitta birding trip target species his knowledge contacted tim ruby mountains local birds great company different species finding birds burrowing owl life list personable guide bird species southern utah private tour salt lake area
Selected filters
Reviewed June 13, 2019

Although Mountain West Birding Company caught my attention for the Flammulated Owling experience. I used Tim for a half day plus Owling in the Salt Lake area. He got us on over 70 species in only a few hours. The Owling was as promised with up-close and personal views of the very shy Flammy and listened to a calling Northern Saw-whet Owl.
Great Birding!!!

Date of experience: June 2019
2  Thank hopsing129
Reviewed May 30, 2019

Tim is a consummate birder, knowledgeable, highly motivated and so keen to share his experience. If you are looking for a birding guide of the highest standing in the Salt Lake City region, you won't regret engaging Tim.

Having birded widely around the world, I haven't found a guide better placed at promptly getting me on to shyest of skulking birds than Tim. Full marks, Tim. Keep up the good work.

1  Thank bircham22
Reviewed May 28, 2019

Coming from the East Coast, we really wanted to get to know Western birds and hopefully see some migrants for our May birding trip in Utah. From the first contact, Tim Avery really showed his professionalism. E-mail communication was prompt, thorough, and informative. He was booked the days we were there but he reached out to his other clients who were more than happy to add two more people. Hence, we went on a two day tour around the SLC areas and then departed in the afternoon for a day tour with a group who was hitting Southern Utah areas at Lytle Ranch and in Zion National Park. Tim didn't just drive from SLC to Southern Utah, he hit birding hot spots all along the way.

In terms of birding skills, I was really impressed. He is a master of knowing birds not just by sight but by song and habitat. He went to specific sites off the side of a road "I know we will see a Cactus Wren or a Black-chinned Sparrow or a Vermillion Flycatcher or....." here and, yes we did. He has an amazing ear for bird songs. I added so many Western Birds and rare immigrants to my birding list. These were often not just quick fly by identifications and we leave, we felt like we really got to see the birds in question. He is a walking Sibley Guide.

I teased him a lot about him "promising" a California Condor in his e-mail (he didn't promise anything as birds aren't that cooperative!), which he took well--and actually produced one! We were only planning to go directly to a certain stop in Zion and on a whim, he suggested getting off one stop earlier. We were standing there for about 2 minutes and he said "there it is!" It flew for about 45 seconds and went back into its nesting site, came out again for another minute and left. We went on and decided to stop one more time on our way out of the park and again, caught another beautiful view of it as it presented itself for a short time.

He also took us on owling outings where we saw Western Screech Owls and called for Flammulated Owls. His usual spot was unfortunately still blocked with snow, but he did end up showing us excellent views of the Poor-Will. Tim doesn't just talk about the birds, but often the history of the environment they are in and why they are there and the specific behavior or place in the environment we should be looking for the bird. The first group were with were beginner birders but excellent photographers. He helped them find the birds and great views and lighting to take their photos in. The second group were very experienced birders who were looking to add a few life birds and revisit some of the more unusual birds on their list. They were not disappointed. We were pleased with the entire trip.

Another important aspect about overnight trips--he chooses excellent lodging choices at reasonable rates. His taste in restaurants was also excellent and varied from Thai, Mexican, Italian and American Cuisines. We never went hungry!

Cost of the trip for us was extremely reasonable given that it provided transportation, lodging, food, and highly experienced guide. oh, and be sure to check out his website--he designs really cool bird pins, posters,stickers, and shirts (he gave us a few on the trip).

1  Thank Jokayaks
Reviewed May 19, 2019

I went out for a day in mid-May with Taylor. He was great; very knowledgeable and superb at spotting birds. I really appreciated that he came down from Ogden to guide me.

We covered 3 areas -- juniper/sage desert, mountains, and antelope Island, and found 4 of my life-bird targets and on the causeway to the Island got great looks at some species I’d never seen in breeding plumage – red-necked phalarope, eared grebe, American avocet, and ruddy duck..

1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed May 16, 2019 via mobile

Had the real pleasure of going out with Tim Avery on one of his famous Flammulated Owl trips. Not only did we have awesome views of at least 5 of these owls, Tim also got me superb views of a Common Poorwill, a huge target bird for me. Tim is great company and a really nice guy. Everything ran like clockwork, great comms before and afterwards. Thoroughly recommended!!

1  Thank GruffD1