Review Highlights
Fun half day birding trip in SLC

My husband and I were planning a trip to the Salt Lake City area with friends. We are new to... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
bluebonnetb2
Dallas TX
Birding with Tim Avery and Pitta Nature Tours is an incredibly satisfying adventure!

Absolutely incredible experience! This was my second trip out to Utah to bird with Tim. My first... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
robertgB6881ZE

All reviews pitta birding trip target species his knowledge contacted tim ruby mountains local birds great company different species finding birds burrowing owl life list personable guide bird species southern utah private tour salt lake area
Selected filters
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Tim took us out to see Flammulated Owls. It was incredible!!! He is a great guide and is extremely knowledgeable about birds, wildlife, and nature. He is funny and makes great conversation too! We saw many owls and got some great photographs! We also saw moose, deer, a raccoon, and more! I would definitely recommend Mountain West Birding Company.

Date of experience: July 2018
2  Thank Christian N
Reviewed June 29, 2018

Tim accommodated me on a fairly last minute basis; I was able to join him and another couple who kindly allowed me to "crash" their tour (Tim asked them on my behalf if I could join them for a night of owling). The focus on his tours is birds and Tim totally delivered, with several great, close observations of flammulated owls, the target species for the trip. In addition, you learn about the natural world. Tim is super knowledgeable and friendly, and will give you pointers for target birds if you ask. I highly recommend Tim and the Mountain West Birding Company!

2  Thank Marybeth L
Reviewed June 29, 2018

Tim took three of us out birding for target species over two days. He is knowledgeable, friendly and has a tremendous amount of energy! He can help you with all of the birds of the Utah, Idaho, and Nevada area. If you want to see Flammulated Owls and other nightbirds he is the man! He picked us up from the Holiday Inn Express in Midvale (A great medium price place to stay for his tours) in a very nice comfortable vehicle. It is great to see a guide who gets excited about seeing the birds and at the same time cares about their welfare! He will work hard to get everyone in your group to see the birds! If you have those holes in your life list that you want to fill let him know and he can target those species. We would hire him again in a heartbeat! It was a very enjoyable experience!

2  Thank dbirder
Reviewed June 25, 2018

Tim took us looking for flammulated owls on solstice eve. We saw owls really close up, and many other birds as well. We were well prepared for the hikes with water bottles, bug spray, and jackets at his suggestion. Tim is friendly and very knowledgeable.

2  Thank Lynne K
Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

Tim is a fantastic guide so friendly and kind. He's funny too. I felt very comfortable on his tour which was sold out. The vehicle used was comfy and he was very respectful of the birds making sure to not harrass them and educate all guests on how to respectful and ethically view the owls. We had over ten Flammulated Owls that night and 3 different species of owls including Saw-whets and Great-Horneds other good birds like Poorwills. Before the tour got going he showed us some nice birds in the daylight like Bald Eagles and a lovely viewpoint. I highly recommend him for his ethical viewing , friendly demeanour and success rate in delivering as promised! Fantastic guide best one I've been out with actually!

Date of experience: May 2018