Review Highlights
Fun half day birding trip in SLC

My husband and I were planning a trip to the Salt Lake City area with friends. We are new to... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
bluebonnetb2
Dallas TX
Birding with Tim Avery and Pitta Nature Tours is an incredibly satisfying adventure!

Absolutely incredible experience! This was my second trip out to Utah to bird with Tim. My first... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
robertgB6881ZE

All reviews pitta birding trip target species his knowledge contacted tim ruby mountains local birds great company different species finding birds burrowing owl life list personable guide bird species southern utah private tour salt lake area
Selected filters
Reviewed July 25, 2017

A 2:00 a.m. wake-up and a 3:00 a.m. start on a 10 switchback rocky trail in the dark with headlamps was the beginning of a great day of birding with Tim. We saw the birds as we hit 9700 ft and they were about 10,000 ft. Tim got on them and we had a hay day viewing the birds. After that we strolled down the lush flower-filled meadows viewing many other local birds. Tim has excellent skills -- bird songs, calls and sightings. And , thankfully, he is oh so patient with those of us slower on the bird. Superb day with Tim.

2  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed July 15, 2017

My wife and I arranged to take our granddaughters ages 9 and 6 to see Owls. Tim was flexible and very accommodating. We saw owls, he pointed out lots of other birds and described their habits and the behavior we were observing, and took us up into the mountains to find Flammies. This fellow is truly an owl-whisperer, because he heard things none of us did, and everyone got to see the elusive Flammy. Granddaughters still talking about the owls they saw.

Highly recommend!

2  Thank Dimsumdon
Reviewed July 12, 2017

Tim loves Utah. He knows about the land & geography, the people, and the wildlife. And, he's great at helping you get on a bird! I went on one of the flammulated owl tours up in the Uinta area, and everyone got great looks at this pocket-sized owl. I've done owl prowls before, but I've never had such a great look at night or been with someone that knows so much about the birds' habits. I hope to meet up with Tim the next time I'm in Utah for another outstanding bird outing. A+

2  Thank Leah D
Reviewed July 9, 2017

I spent some time with Tim doing some general birding in the area before we started the trek to find some Flammys. In a short time we had a fairly substantial list of birds (and a few other critters). His knowledge of the area, politically, geographically, ecologically is encyclopedic. And his knowledge of, and respect for, the Flammulated Owl is contagious. We enjoyed great views of the Flammys and also had some time to just listen as they called in the area. If you are in the area and need an experienced, professional and personable guide, give Tim a call.

2  Thank birdtraveler2011
Reviewed July 8, 2017

This is the first time I've done a guided birding trip, usually trying to do most of my own research, but owls are elusive and so we thought we would give it a try. So glad we did! Tim was a super guide, very friendly, knowledgeable and happy to tell me all about the species, where to look for them, and then, success! We saw five and heard six in the space of less than an hour. The best part was seeing the owls, but the second best was finding someone willing to teach me what to look and listen for as well. I hope to visit again and look for other birds, he really knows the area, the calls, and how to find them! We did this for our 10th anniversary and it was one of the best gifts ever to ourselves!

2  Thank okaugust