“Stay in the towers”

Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
phx az
“Stay in the towers”
Reviewed April 14, 2007

THis hotel has two sections. The garden area and the towers. DO NOT CHEAP OUT AND STAY IN THE GARDEN. This is like a motel. It is noisy (road noise) and away from the restaurants etc. Pay the extra few $ and stay in the towers. You will get a much nicer room, close to everything you want in hotel, and overall, your stay will be much nicer. The difference in price might be 20-30$ a night, but well well worth it. Overall, this is the best value hotel in SLC. In New York this would be $400-500 a night or more. A tremendous value for the approx $100 per night.

• Liked — very clean, great price for the room compared to other properties in slc
  • Disliked — we made the mistake and stayed in the garden rooms to save 15$. MISTAKE
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank itsdryheat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Madison, WI
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I just returned Friday from a wonderful stay at Little America as part of a conference that was going on across the street at the Grand America. I loved it! I will mention that I booked directly through the hotel as part of the conference rate, so I stayed on the 15th floor of the "Towers" part (much better than motel-type part) and got the rate at $159/night. My room did not have a balcony but a coworkers did for no extra charge, so be sure to request one on check-in if you would enjoy the mountain views.

Everything about this hotel is on the feminine side, lots of crystal chandeliers, floral wallpaper and ruffled bedspreads, but it has a very old world feel to it. Even the furniture looks antique (though obviously with hundreds of rooms its not). Not all rooms are identical as my furniture/color scheme was different than a coworkers, mine was pink and hers was peaches/turquoise. The 6 ft tall floral displays in the lobby were changed twice while I was there for 3 days and smelled heavenly when I walked in. The fireplace was cozy although unneeded with the unseasonably warm weather.

The indoor/outdoor pool they have is very nice (they also have a hot tub and separate outdoor only pool), I only sat on the deck as 67 degrees outside is not quite warm enough for me to dive in. The workout area is small and was often full. I did have breakfast in the restaurant one morning and it was adequate though not wonderful, nice selection of fruit for March but otherwise unsurprising. I never had any lunches or dinners there as there are many local places within walking distance.

I personally found the service to be impeccable. I received prompt attention at check-in, had friendly bellmen, a knowledgeable concierge and turn down service every evening with chocolates on my pillow. There are always so many employees around, all with a smile when you make eye contact. I went skiing the last day before flying out and was invited to come back and use the showers/locker facility to freshen up if I wanted.

While I was there, I was amazed at the business people (majority of us that week), family with children, young people in jeans/backpacks, and older couples out touring Salt Lake City who all seemed at home in the comfy lobby, whether reading, visiting, or waiting for other people or the complimentary airport shuttle that runs every 20 minutes.

I truly enjoyed the Little America, and was equally amazed by the Grand America across the street, although there I saw only the ballrooms, meeting rooms and courtyard our conference used and not any guest rooms.

• Liked — Old World Feel
  • Disliked — A bit far from skiing (40 minutes to Snowbird)
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank WI-Couple
wichita
Reviewed February 16, 2007

I booked this hotel after reading several reviews from this site, which were all excellent. I have to say I was really disappointed. It is true that the rooms are large for a hotel, but the beds were unbelievably uncomfortable--hard as bricks--and I woke up each morning with stiff and sore muscles. I ordered room service breakfast one morning and was told it would be at my room in 20 minutes. After waiting for an hour, I called and asked the status of my order. They told me they would "look into it" and call me back. After 15 minutes they called back and asked if they could take my order all over again--they weren't sure what happened to it. They did not offer to compensate me for the lost order. I also felt unsafe with my exterior entrance. Overall, I would not stay here again and can not recommend it.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank susiesmartgirl
san diego
Reviewed February 12, 2007

We've stayed at Little America several times and it has usually been okay. However, the last two times have not been so great; particularly this last trip. I don't know if the management has changed or what, but the customer service has really deteriorated. We complained about the hard mattress and the maid brought a dirty, old piece of foam to put on the mattress. She dropped the pad on the floor and started to exit the room. When I asked if she was going to put the pad on the mattress, she said, "no one had instructed her to do so". We decided we couldn't sleep on that filthy pad and called the front desk to request another room. The manager was very rude and argumentative and said that all the beds were the same. A young man from housekeeping arrived and put the pad on the mattress for us. We had planned on staying at Little America for 3 nights. Needless to say, we checked out early the next morning and will never stay at Little America again!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank funsandiego
Westchester County
Reviewed January 27, 2007

If you pass the Little America hotel on your way in from the airport as I did you are right to be concerned that it looks like every roadside motel you’ve ever seen as a backdrop to a segment on the nightly news. However, inside, at least in the “Tower”, couldn’t be more reassuringly upscale. The rooms are large, well-appointed, and tastefully decorated. The public areas are reminiscent of the ski-lodge inspired interiors of big Vermont hotels. The indoor-outdoor pool is lovely and allows one to swim under the stars in the dead of winter. There is a restaurant organized as a coffee shop offering a reasonably priced but fulfilling breakfast. In short I enjoyed the hotel very much. In the interest of full disclosure I was traveling as a business guest so I’m not sure what it cost to have had me stay there. Further, I don’t know what the non-“Tower” rooms were like.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank thewestchestarian
California
Reviewed January 10, 2007

Booked this on Hotwire.com as a 4-star hotel. Price $79, with taxes $93. Because I booked with Hotwire they put me in the motel part. Don't be discouraged because it was excellent.. the word "motel" is deceiving. One you step in to the room it is beautiful. The furnishings are great, the bathroom was nice, the sheets were comfy, and the decor was really cute. Once I shut the door I felt like I was ina world class hotel. The staff at the main hotel building were very nice and helpful. I used the free wireless access in the lobby and ate breakfast at the Coffee Shop. Good prices for a hotel breakfast. Also, the parking was free! You can't beat that. Next time I go to Salt Lake City I will try and stay here again.

• Liked — The staff was so nice and the room was awesome
  • Disliked — The outside of the hotel/motel was not on par with the quality inside the place.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank cschlunt
North Carolina
Reviewed November 29, 2006

Excellent hotel. Large spacious room and dressing area. Hotel restaurants were an excellent value. Housekeeping staff very attentive.

• Liked — large attractive room and free parking
  • Disliked — elevators a little slow
  • Tips/Secrets — better value than the Great America