“Repeat Offender!”

Little America Hotel
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This hotel is so contagious that it becomes a repeat offender of my pocket book! I stay here yearly with my husband and occasionally we invite one of our grandchildren to stay over with us. The rooms are large and comfortable and oh so very clean. Both of my grandsons, which we took on separate occasions, thought we were staying in a castle! We perpetuated the fantasy to keep the magic and wonder going.
They have a pool that is indoor AND outdoor, with a vinyl flap separating the two. In the winter, the outdoor pool is warmly heated so you can still enjoy it. They have a hot tub just adjacent to the pool as well.
I love the tower rooms but I am just as content in the garden rooms. Both are spacious, lush and very quiet. The hotel staff was so accommodating when we were staying with our grandsons, being mindful to put us in a room where we could easily walk through the hotel to get to the pool rather than having to go across the parking lot. I very much appreciated that as it is no fun to walk outside in December when you are wet from the pool.
The downtown Trax transportation is free in this area. You can visit Temple Square, Gateway Mall, Abravanel Hall or City Creek Center. The Gateway Mall has theaters that are easily accessible by rail and if you have children with you, the Discovery Gateway is a wonderful and inexpensive way to let your kids get rambunctious in a zone created just for them! There are plenty of dining options, entertainment options, historical options, etc.
My favorite place to eat is in the Little America hotel Coffee Shop by far! Their hamburgers are the best around and the breakfasts are second to none. Much detail is given to the quality of their meals. For fun or future planning, walk across and take a look at the Grand America, it's lovely in its extravagance. On one visit to look around this lovely hotel, my husband and I actually met Earl Holding. We had no idea who we were talking to at the time but found out later that the off the rack suited, sneaker bedecked gentleman who asked us how we liked the hotel, was actually the billionaire owner of it! Who knew in downtown Salt Lake City, you could meet such prestigious folks?
You will feel like a queen, eat like a king but the cost will feel as if you only need the pocketbook of a peasant...

Room Tip: My preference is always going to be a tower room. Ask for one on a corner so you get the best view...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank oceangrlz
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear oceangrlz -

Thank you again for your most thoughtful feedback and for recommending us so highly. We certainly recognize there are many options available for your consideration in the Salt Lake City area. We are honored you chose the Little America Hotel once again. Have a happy and safe rest of your summer! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Little America Hotel in the future and until then, we will remain at your service.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,913)

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Our tower room was enormous!! The beds were very comfortable and the room very quiet. The bathtub was awesome, and there was a great room connecting the bath/bedroom that could be shut off from the rest of the room. The lobby is beautiful and the staff was perfect!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank travelerdiver
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Now not everyone in the world has a 9 to 5 job or is on vacation when they check into a hotel. So when I call and explain that I won't be checking in until 1:00am, I would like them to put me somewhere really quite, better yet inform me that construction will start at 7 am.
I dropped 250.00 on a room for the night. I expected it to be perfect.

I will give them credit. The suite was amazing! The first time I seriously considered taking a bath. It was exceptionally clean. But I'm a freak and notice everything....the small hair in the tub. I'm sure this was just from the house keeper and could have been washed down.

Everything was how it should have been right up until 7AM when I had to cover my head because of the drilling.

They did take off 40% for my inconvenience, so I'm not going to knock them too much.

Great place...just some construction. Bring ear pluggs!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Barbie W
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

The tower rooms are very, very spacious with classic appointments and quality fabrics. Great downtown location near light rail with views of the city and mountains. Hotel has high end gift shop, wonderful, large lobby and really nice coffee shop and evening steakhouse. Always a treat to stay or eat here.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Ontheroadwithmom
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have stayed her countless times, and had breakfast lunch and dinner here many times. I have never been let down by their service, or quality of food. The Sunday brunch is amazing and the coffee shop is a must! If you are staying for dinner, try the rolls. My favorite on the menu is the Hot Roast Beef.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear Forzy -

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We are always delighted to hear from our guests as part of our continual effort to improve guest experience. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests were able to use all of the wonderful amenities and try the restaurant options at the property. We are honored to have earned your trust and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Perhaps I was unlucky to get this particular room, but I definitely didn't feel like it was worth $135 per night. Beware of rooms that are along 500 South, especially on weekends when hooligans hot-rod their engines up and down the street.

The room had a musty, stale smell. The dated refrigerator was right across from the toilet. The carpet in the hallway appeared to have been recently flooded. In the room, there was damage to the carpet, furniture, and screen door. I discovered the damage to the screen door when I was trying to air the musty smell out of the room. We came here because we had heard this was a nicer place to stay (the lobby certainly looks fancy). All of the problems in combination made me feel like I was staying in a scuzzy Motel 6. I was kind of nervous that I might be blamed for the room damage.

The only thing that made this room tolerable was the clean, comfy bed and the hot shower. We would have tried to change rooms, but my wife was on bed-rest.

When I was checking out, I complained about the noise and giant fungal toenail clippings (from a prior guest) which were not cleaned up by housekeepers. Nothing was done. I would not stay here again, especially not for $135/night.

Room Tip: avoid 500 S side
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank muumuu82
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear muumuu82 -

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with your guestroom during your stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not like the décor of your room. We have made several changes to our guestrooms and our property and will continue to do so in the future. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our property as well as the value of our product and our guest feedback is very important to us. Please know that I have shared your comments with our staff.
Thank you again for making us aware of the details of your stay. If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel
edbox@littleamerica.com

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Only a few blacks from the centre but a tram takes you there for free.

Restaurant was closed due to remodelling but the cafe was the place to be seen. The decor uniforms and ambiance were fantastic. Food was good value and good.

Our room was humungous with view towards town. The pool was great. It even rained whilst we were in SLC and we discovered locals don't carry wet weather gear. Really funny seeing executives in wet shirts!

This hotel is a great place to stay if exploring SLC or the region.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple