“Great Value for the Money”

Little America Hotel
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
California
“Great Value for the Money”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I just got back from a three-night stay at the Little America Hotel, and I was pleasantly surprised. Given that we booked our room through Hotwire for $77 a night, I wasn't sure what to expect. Although the room decor is dated, it's still in great condition. We stayed in one of the garden rooms. Our room wasn't as large as some of the rooms pictured on their website, but it was very clean.
The two best things about the Little America are the location and the pool. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown (or you can take the tram for free), and the pool is an indoor/outdoor, all-seasons pool.
Overall, I have no complaints at all. I really went into our stay thinking this hotel wouldn't be very nice, and I'm glad to say I was totally wrong.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are noisier than tower rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in what is commonly known as "the motel section", ie one of the garden rooms. The first room I was given was still occupied, which is not what you want to see after you've dragged all your bags across car parks, gardens, etc.. to eventually get to your room. On top of being occupied, the room looked really quite dirty and was smelly. It also had an interconnecting door to an other room, which is never good (soundproofing). The 2nd room I was given was ok. It didn't smell badly and it did not connect to an other room. However, it was not particularly great either: the decor was dated and the carpet could do with a clean up.
The staff was ok, but I did not find anyone to be particularly friendly or efficient, especially reception, generally understaffed and with long queues, which I guess may explain the lack of smiles or friendliness of the receptionists. The food in the restaurant was ok, albeit rather greasy.
The hotel is overrun by families and children on weekends. No issues there, as I guess this is a family friendly hotel, but it is no longer ok when you have to wait 40 minutes to have a table for breakfast, and not because there is not table availability, but because there are only 2 staff members allocated to take you to your table and who have not been trained to figure out that if there is a party of 8 followed by a single person, and there is a table available for the single person, then get that person seated while a table for 8 becomes available.
This is my second time in SLC and I only go there because of a conference, so not the "typical" SLC tourist, who is only going to use the hotel as a base and spend the day on the slopes. This hotel is better than the one I stayed in last year, which was next to the homeless shelter.., and all considered it was adequate for the price I paid. There's a tram stop just outside and you can get to the downtown area and convention centre relatively quickly. If I had to come back and the price was reasonable, I may stay again, but just because I doubt the competition is any better, and at least the garden rooms have balconies, so you can step outside for some fresh air on a sunny day.

Appleton, WI
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm usually a person who thinks that others often expect too much from hotels and I realize that no hotel is perfect. I read the reviews for Little America and was very optimistic about my stay. Now I wonder if I stayed in a different hotel than many of these reviewers. There are actually two places to stay in this hotel. One is the tower which seems to be luxurious. The other is in what is best described as a motel surrounding it. That's where I stayed. This was at best a 2-star accommodation. The room had been updated with furniture and new bathroom sink and shower. However, the rug was not updated and had lots of stains. The bathroom walls and floor were covered with extremely dated pink tile (like the kind your parents had in the 1970s). The motel guests did have access to the amenities in the main tower, but in early March I would need to be fully dressed and wearing a coat to get over to the indoor pool from my motel room. Believe me, there were no chocolates or turn down service in the motel. When we arrived and were given the motel room, we asked the difference between the motel and the tower. Basically, were were told that the tower has the nice rooms. Nowhere did I see any indication of a two-tier system on their website. Would never stay there again. Really felt taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Tower rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Manager at Little America Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share the information about your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not made aware that the Courtside rooms were located in separate buildings throughout our property, not in our main high-rise. I am sorry that our website was not clear to you, as all of our room types are listed with descriptions. I will certainly check into different options to update the descriptions.
Please know that for our guest’s convenience we do offer a separate dressing room area near the indoor pool and fitness facilities.
It is our intention to make sure our guests know what they are booking and that they enjoy their stay with us. If you have any further comments about your stay, you are welcome to email me directly.

Ed Box
Little America Hotel, Salt Lake
edbox@littleamerica.com
Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the salt lake city little america for 4 nights. The room was huge and had a nice big clean bathroom. Robes were included, and there were 2 sinks and a separate area for getting ready while another person can use the shower. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is very happy working there. That was a nice surprise! We enjoyed the restaurant and service was fast. The soups were home made as was the daily specials. Conference price was affordable at 129$ a night

Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is our 6th year that we have been here for a ski trip. Less than an hour away from great skiing. We stay in the tower, King size bed and the rooms are huge. Very nice bathroom, great tub, everything first class. Very reasonably priced for what you receive. Paper in morning, turn down service, chocolate, and robes provided. Underground parking which is nice in the winter. Do not miss their Breakfast Buffet. Great selection, and the best fruit, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries. Nice indoor pool and hot tub. If you are a light sleeper, do not stay next to the elevator in the tower. Couldn't sleep the first night, so much mechanical noise, they changed us the next day, with no problem.

Room Tip: Do not stay next to tower elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We recently stayed at Little America in Salt Lake City. This was the second time we have stayed here for our annual Spring Ski trip to the wonderful resorts outside of Salt Lake City. We find this hotel to be extremely convenient in terms of easy access to, well, everything! I read lots of the reviews of this hotel and I can't say I agree with any of the negative things people mentioned. People complained of the decor and of the Garden Rooms looking out on the street. True, we did stay in a Garden Room and it did look out on the street but. . .there were nicely manicured lawns and wonderful plantings of flowers below. As for the decor, I find it to be very cheery and pleasant. This establishment hits the mark with all of the really important things - it is very CLEAN. Furnishings were in good shape and the property as a whole has been kept up very nicely. The staff is excellent. You never pass one of them in the hallway or lobby without them saying "Hi" or telling you to "have a nice day." This is really great. There is no mumbling or avoidance of eye contact. You feel welcome. And - most impressive - all the staff wear uniforms that are very clean and pressed. It is very professional. A big step up from places where the housekeeping wear whatever they want with a dingy smock thrown over it. The only thing we did agree with was the one review that spoke of the heater not working very well in the room. This was the case with us. We came in at the end of a day skiing all day in the wet snowfall and we just could not get warm. Even when we turned the thermostat up to 80! We are NOT cold blooded - we keep our heat set at 67 at our own home, but the heat barely floated out of the vent in this room. Having the 'fan' setting on High did not seem to make a difference. But. . .it did get warm eventually. We just had to leave it set high the whole time. Since we were skiing all day and then simply showering and collapsing at night, it did not seem to be a huge issue. Had it been Summertime and the room not gotten cool, that may have been a problem. As it were, we were not uncomfortable once it finally got warm. This hotel is a fantastic value in my opinion. Also, we ate breakfast in the coffee shop and the service and food was top rate. Lobby was beautiful with see-thru fire place and a small bar on one side.

Room Tip: We stayed in 8267 and it was quiet and close to the elevator that took us to the covered parking bel...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pleasant View, Utah
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a Garden room on the second floor and we were not expecting such a large beautifully decorated room. It was more like a suite with a seperate sitting area. The bathroom was like a spa. The bed was comfortable and the room had a large flat screen television. There are two excellent resaturants on site. The trax station is kitty corner to the northeast (about a blocks walk from the hotel entrance) and you can ride for free to many Salt Lake attractions like Temple Square, City Creek and the Gateway.

Room Tip: The Garden rooms are lovely and in a better location than the courtside rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple