“Front Office Choas. Untrained Staff. No One Seemed Ready To Help”
Review of Salt Lake City KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City KOA
North Las Vegas, Nevada
“Front Office Choas. Untrained Staff. No One Seemed Ready To Help”
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Found after we arrived they have a monthly rental on the north side of the park. My bro knows a guy in Salt Lake that is terminal from cancer, 6 months to live at best....
park management heard one report from a neighbor they had smelled pot coming from his unit and terminated his lease with no further review or questions. Paul Dexter was a career truck driver for decades and a complete non drug user and frowns even at the the mention of any drug use. Terminally uncool group of people working there.
Located across the street from a Electrical Generating Plant, NOISY :(

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hudsonbros

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2010

well what can i say this place sucks they say they do background checks no they dont they have sex offendors in there park so run far far away this is the worst place to stay in utah the managment sucks and they dont ever do anything also they have a guy that works here that drives a yellow truck with a white shell he speeds all over the park like a mad man also the office people never listen to what your saying THIS PLACE IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carson1205
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I almost didn't camp here, based on the reviews I read and I'm so pleased I didn't heed their opinion. KOA/VIP Salt Lake City is the perfect location for being in SLC.
The staff was thoroughly helpful and the free shuttle to town is great for us who didn't want to unhook.
The grounds are lush with beautiful tulips lining the sites and healthy grass for our lawn chairs.
Obviously things have changed since the Sept. 2009 review or that reviewer was having a bad day. I have traveled the world, literally, camping and for the location, this is a great spot.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Denise H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I travelled to meet with friends who are staying in their 5th Wheel at this KOA and I wanted to be close with my own space so I rented a cabin. I don't camp and I'm not an RV'er so I wasn't sure what to expect. I read the reviews here and discussed my concerns with my friends who assured me it was a great place. I'm so very glad I listened! From placing my reservations, buying little bits of supplies and souvenirs from the friendly and helpful staff, to walking the RV park with my friend, I was so very impressed! Everything was spotless! Yes there is a bar on the roadside but I stayed Fri - Sun without seeing the police and didn't hesitate to cross to the bathroom/shower building to use the facilities at night. I treated the whole weekend as an adventure and was treated in turn to an awesome time with my friends, seeing my first Blackbilled Magpie (it has a nest!), waking up to songbirds, watching seagulls, Canadian geese and ducks fly overhead, enjoyed the planted flowers, took probably a too long hot shower. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. My only suggestion is either to install shades on the cabin windows or warn people making reservations that they don't have them. It wasn't that big a deal but it did catch me by surprise.
A million thanks to my Sisterfriend who encouraged the adventure, also thank you Jenny and Nicole for being so friendly and helpful and tolerating my zillion and one questions! ~§

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Utah
Reviewed September 16, 2009

This RV park was very scary. Its located in a scary part of Salt Lake. There is a bar right next to it, which had cops there every night. They let anyone stay there. I hated when I was alone. For what we paid you'd think it would be a nice place. Their internet sucks. You cant sit outside or go swimming with out some pervert staring at you. We won't be coming back. Go to Pony Rv Express!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingWife08
Draper
Reviewed November 9, 2008

If you are in Salt Lake City and have children, I would recommend either passing through to somewhere else or finding another park to camp at.

The staff is very short, rude and even hostile towards Children. Our kids had encounters with them that left them in tears and when we contacted the management they made no attempt to rectify the situation.

There is a rowdy motorcycle bar right in front of this KOA that will ensure you have a full night of music, fighting, police activity and even propositions for purchasing drugs. So if you are a user, I guess you would benefit from this.

Train whistles blow every 20 minutes or so, the tracks are about 1/2 mile away.

The staff acts like any words you say to them are an intrusion. I pointed out a broken pipe in the mens room and the man barked back at me "I will get to it later." Without so much as a thank you or even a tone suggesting he considered me human.

The management is never anywhere to be found unless they are patrolling the park in their cars at ridiculous speeds which are supposed to be against the rules. I can remember several occasions of having to move me and my dogs out of the way of the speeding orange pickup (Driven by the manager(s)).

The only communication will be in the form of nasty and threatening-toned notes taped to your door stating that other residents are annoyed with something you might have done.

I like KOA in general, there is a great one in Fillmore, Utah. However, unless you need just one night to rest on the road I would steer clear of this one and head for Mountain Shadow RV Park which is 20 minutes South of this KOA.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TheSparks
slckoa, manager at Salt Lake City KOA, responded to this review, March 14, 2009
I don't know who these people or how long they stayed with us- they are local by their city profile. They say they received a notice on their door due to neighbors complaining about something they were doing.

We host children and dogs all the time with positive feelings on both sides, Our staff is known for super friendly service, and there is always a manager on the grounds or a cell phone call away.

The train whistles can be a problem, and we've worked with the city over the last ten years, and quiet intersections have been built in all but two intersections.
I am having our entire staff look at this for ways to improve, so it is helpful in that regard. Customer service is very important to us, and I apologize if we failed this camper.

We are an urban campground in the center of a major city. Within that framework, we provide a clean, safe campground with great amenities and friendly service.
Van Nuys CA
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My brother and I stayed here while visiting SLC on our way to Yellowstone. The place is about average on all criteria. Good pull thrus for long rigs like ours. Trailer is a 30' Airstream with tow vehicle, yet we didn't hang out either side. There's free wifi Internet. The bad part is that everyone else is on it (I saw at least 3 other groups using laptops at their campsites) and the speed became as bad as dialup. Cable TV is offered but we didn't use it. There are spots for tents and tent trailers, good enough to hold the trailer and a tow vehicle and have some room around the table. Spots are generally shady and we didn't have a noise problem (of course, we were also inside the trailer at night).
When you approach the property you need to make sure you use the proper driveway, go in by the A-frame building that says "CAMP."
We didn't make a reservation, we just dropped in and got a space.

• Liked — It was convenient to downtown Salf Lake City.
  • Disliked — Really slow wifi internet access.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Dave_B_1