“La Quinta is spanish for "wheres my cell phone charger"”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
new york
“La Quinta is spanish for "wheres my cell phone charger"”
Reviewed September 12, 2007

first they tell you its spanish for "welcome" (or somethig close to it, then "greetings", then "dont worry about it" in regards to your toothbrush and floss and such if you run out they will provide. Yet on a rather unfortunate note, they cant provide recovery of items accidentally left/or quality efficiant customer relations at that. Its to bad, it put a damper on what was a exeptional stay at this gem of a hotel. ...
I booked this one last minute, advertised on the website at 80 a night, when I got there they kind young woman told me it was actually 90, but she lowered it to 80 for me, so kudos for her=)
True, the door entrances were at a diagonal (for rooms and bathrooms) but I found this rather nice and differant. Personally I get tired of cookie cutter. It made it feel as if it was more a apartment rather then a unit with a bed. The room was clean and well prepared.
It is also true, this hotel is kinda in the middle of nowhere, yer very close to the airport, and very close to the city, without being in the city itself. This is probably the only exception, where I would be ok with this, as if you have never been in Salt Lake, you dont know what you are missing. This city, IS the middle of nowhere; does anyone live here? Where do the people come from, and why is it so quiet. You might feel like you are missing out at the La Quinta, but just go another exit down the parkway to "downtown" and nothing has changed. You know that feeling, the sunday walk to church mode; Thats salt lake. By all means take advantage of the price and stay here. Besides, the breakfast is very gracious for typical continental motel fare. Gotta love those waffles and oatmeal. The lobby makes a nice social scene, as its open, and during breakfast hours there are plenty of tables to give it a restaurant like feel. (bet you didnt even notice the gazebo and garden, unless you found the back lobby door or went to the pool, its hidden)
Speaking of, I was able to use the pool and hot tub as they easily gave me a late checkout on request. pool/hottub= wonderfull
How such accomodating people turned the other way, im not sure. Granted, yes, leaving my cell charger in the room is my fault, though, I called the hotel an hour after checkout at the airport upon realising i did not pack it, and the guy at the front desk (who dropped me off at th eairport on the shuttle) told me he would send it back. 2 weeks later, I called to see if they sent it and someone else told me nothing was ever filed, and its an issue for room housekeeping. Upon a week or phone tag I got through to the manager who said they do returns on a once a month basis, and IF they find it, they will send. I gave up and bought another one (hey, ya learn the first time lol)
Other then poor communication and relations, this hotel is a good pick, its good value and friendly accomodating atmospheare are true to its word, "la quinta" which, upon my flight being delayed hours on end, i had enough time at the airport bookstore to look it up on websters, really is a term for a small spanish house/dwelling.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — phone tag to retrieve lost items
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank speedotorpedo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Fremont, California
Reviewed September 2, 2007

My family arrived here after a long day's journey from Lake Tahoe (on the way to Yellowstone). I try to check in, but no one is at the desk. After waiting and ringing the bell, I get someone. Not a big deal, but when I bring my family up to the room with our luggage, I am shocked at how small the room is. The bathroom and closet are at a strange diagonal to the room, and the closet is definitely smallish. The little wall shelf for the coffee pot was also small and in a awkward place; I kept feeling as if I was going to bump into it while walking into the bathroom.

The room itself was clean, and the pool area and conference areas were clean and appropriate for the size of the hotel. I did feel safe in the hotel, since it had the appropriate key slides to access areas. The lobby is very pleasantly decorated, with a fountain in the center; this is where the complimentary continental breakfast is served (waffles, anyone?).

I was annoyed by the front desk, when I tried to ask about local places to eat. Once again, no one was at the desk. When the clerk came, she was curt in telling me that either I would have to go to another hotel (but didn't name them) or go into the city (another 15 minute drive, after a day of driving). She did make one other suggestion for a smallish deli in the back of an office building next door, and whipped out a coupon for it. It was just a depressing location; my family opted for the drive into the city.

Overall, a decent hotel for one night, but not as helpful as the 2006 Tripadvisor Hotel Award would suggest.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location to highway/airport, availability of travel brochures
  • Disliked — Smallish rooms, lack of prompt desk help
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank photomom
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Should you listen to me? What I want in a hotel is a decent price, a CLEAN room, an interested staff, and a little help here and there. Prefer a new hotel or a recently renevated one to an old one. Usually use middle of the road chains and an Omni, Sheraton, or Hilton is a bit of a treat for me.

The Good: You cannot get closer to the airport and not be at the airport. Curiously the noise I thought I would hear I did not. The rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The shuttle was handy and the workout room was very nice.

The So-So: I stayed on the front end and the back end of a trip getting in late from a flight and leaving early. Some of the staff seemed a bit disinterested or not overly willing to help but some others were great and very helpful. Nothing fancy in the room but that is what I paid for. The bathroom was big but I didn't care for the double doors that seemed to never be completely closed.

The Bad: Hope you have a care b/c there is NOWHERE to eat. This hotel and several others are in an industrial type of area. There is a Hilton (I think it was) that was two doors down which had a really nice restaurant that was very good. The next closest place was a Perkins about a one mile walk from the hotel (food was bad there I thought). That is it. Nothing else even close. There are no gas stations close either. When I booked the room I figured that since there were about 4 other hotels there would be several restaurants to serve them - very wrong about that.

So, don't count on getting gas or a choice of food anywhere near the hotel - be mindful of that.

• Liked — Clean and good price
  • Disliked — Have to have a car to get a bite to eat - but you can walk to another hotel that has a restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Van-go67
Long Island, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2007

We just returned from a family vacation landing in Salt Lake City and traveling and staying in several hotels visiting Yellowstone Park and some other places. The $76 rate at La Quinta was by far the least expensive of the week.

The staff was "very friendly" and helpful and the entire place was very nice and well kept. It would be nice to have a restuarant on premise or in the area but aside from that no complaints at all.

• Liked — Close to airport, great staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BILLG3505
Calgary
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed here for just one night on Sat July 28th. We booked the hotel based on the reviews on this site and to be honest were a little dissapointed when we saw the hotel. The staff were nice enough, but I actually thought that the hotel was a little tired looking. There were black scuff marks all over the doors to the rooms and all the walls as we walked down the hall to our room, which didn't give the best impression. When we actually got into the room, it was fine. When I examined the beds though, one of them had some stains on the sheets and a couple of our towels were also stained. I did stay though and I have been known to leave hotels in the middle of the night and find somewhere else to stay, so it wasn't terrible!

My daughter and husband enjoyed the pool and the breakfast was the usual continental thing which my daughter enjoyed.

I wouldn't stay again, but would look for something more modern. There was a HIX not too far away that looked prettey new, so I would try that next time.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank likethingsclean
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We stayed here for two nights in June 2007 and would recommend this property. The two bed room was spacious and clean. The staff was helpful and pleasant, and the breakfast had a good variety and a very nice dining area. The indoor pool is large, and the property has a washer and dryer which was very helpful.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank TLHGator
Toledo, OH
Reviewed July 14, 2007

I loved this poperty. It was clean and new. The bathrooms were huge and had "french doors". (There was a small gap between the doors as previously mentioned). Rooms were also larger than average. Breakfast was much better than your typical continental breakfast, with waffles and biscuits and gravy. The indoor courtyard, where you eat, was a nice area. If you wander outside that area, you will find a nice garden area with a gazebo. I could see hosting a small wedding here. The pool is enxlosed in a glass greenhouse-type building. The only drawback we had was lack of restaurants in this industrial park area, but we had a rental car. Downtown is appox. 10-15 minutes away and we had a nice meal at the Market Street Grill.

• Liked — Spacious rooms and bathroom
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family