“No hot water”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #32 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed here Wednesday and Thursday nights (1/15-16/14).It was clean enough and generally fine but fairly noisy. Anything my neighbors did was audible in my room. La Quinta typically has a small refrigerator and micro-wave oven in each room. My room had no micro-wave. The first morning the water temperature was extremely inconsistent. The water was never really hot and kept cycling cold, then returning to warm. The second morning it never even got warm. There is no restaurant, The morning breakfast was limited to make your own waffles, cereal and muffins.
Except for the cold water this La Quinta Inn was "acceptable". The hot water issue appeared to be a permanent situation that occurs at peak use times. It's a deal breaker for me.

Room Tip: The lack of hot water appeared to be an ongoing/permanent problem at peak use times of each day. Eve...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
LaQuintaSLCAirport, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

I apologize for the hot water situation. Unfortunately, we were not aware that both our main boiler and our backup boiler had gone down during the night. We have no way of knowing this until guests get up in the morning and try to use the hot water. By that time, when guests first start calling our front desk to report a problem, it is a mad scramble to to try to correct as soon as possible to try to reduce or eliminate the inconvenience to our guests.

The front desk was made aware of the situation at approximately 5:30am. I was immediately made aware of the problem and was in by 6:15am to try what I could to reset the boilers. Unfortunately the problem was more extensive than a simple reset. I immediately called our plumbing company for emergency service and they dispatched an emergency technician as soon as possible.

From then on all we can do is wait and hope for a speedy reply from our service company. The technician arrived at about 7:20 am and started to diagnose the problem. It was resolved and we had hot water back to the hotel at about 11:30 am.

Again, I apologize for this convenience. However, every business has problems from time to time and, hopefully, the measure of the company is how they respond to adversity to try to take care of their guests. We hope that we did all that we could to try to take care of this problem and reduce the inconvenience to you and the rest of our guests.

Thank you for your understanding of the situation and, again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and the woman working the front desk was ridiculously rude to my whole family. Since we were stranded at the airport, we called in advance to get room details and rates. Once we arrived in person, we received completely different answers from what we were just told on the phone 30 minutes earlier (of course the rates were higher than we were quoted on the phone). To make it worse, the person at the front desk was in a terrible mood the second we walked in and treated us like garbage. I filed a complaint with the manager and he apologized for our treatment. Unfortunately the damage was already done in my mind and the apology does make up for the way we were treated.

The room was decent overall, but not worth the price (it might have been worth it for the original price I was quoted). The one issue with the room we encountered was that the heating system did not work properly and the room was cold.

I recommend you look elsewhere if you are looking for a hotel in this area. This was my first stay at any La Quinta location and probably my last.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

I am glad that I was able to discuss the problem with you upon your departure from the hotel. As I said I would, I did speak with the Front Desk associate involved and reminded her of what outstanding customer service is all about, no matter how high pressured the situation gets.

This was during the heavy snow storms and bitter cold that was occurring throughout the country with dozens of flights were being cancelled nationwide. Everywhere, airline passengers were unexpectedly being sent to hotels and everyone's patience and nerves were put to the test.

This is when we, as service representatives, should shine and make the best of a bad situation for you, our guest. Unfortunately, it appears that the pressure of the circumstances may have caused one of my front desk associates to act in a manner unbecoming to a service professional.

Again, I apologize for the rudeness that you experienced and want to assure you that it is not indicative of my staff, or of this front desk associate in particular.

I hope that you will choose to come visit us again sometime in the future so that you can experience our true customer service spirit first hand.

Thank you for your understanding.

A TripAdvisor Member
East Windsor, New Jersey
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The room was clean and comfortable, equipped with a small fridge and microwave. The staff was friendly and helpful. Good breakfast (standard). Not far from the airport. No problem encountered. Very convenient.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arrived at this hotel late at night after originally going to another La Quinta in Midvale Utah which we had a reservation at but they had no clean rooms (go figure ) So La Quinta reservations recommended this location even though we had to drive 25 miles out of our way. Needless to say we were unhappy with the situation , but happy with this La Quinta. Mele checked us in and she was very pleasant. We had a king size bed on the first floor which was great since we were traveling with our two chihuahuas. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Free continental breakfast and pet friendly, Thank you. I would highly recommend this location. Stay away from Midvale location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank moosesmile
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This hotel is not worth the money you pay. The shuttle to/from the airport is inconsistent. Even after following their instructions I had to take a cab to the hotel. The heating/cooling unit in the room does not work properly and I had to wear my sweater in the room since the temperature did not get above 68 degrees. There are no restaurants in the area and getting food delivered is difficult. I couldn't even locate the vending machines to get a snack. Though the room itself was clean & the beds were comfortable, I will not go back to this La Quinta. It's not worth it.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mari S
A La Quinta traveler
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My party reserved 3 rooms (at my insistence) on November 30 on our way back from Puerto Vallarta. We arrived at 7:30 to discover the closest restaurant was across the way at the Hilton. No big deal so we walked over to the Hilton and ate. While there I was told by the desk clerk that a king room for 2 was $56.00, about $30.00 less than I had just paid at La Quinta. And, the reception area was loaded with fruit, cookies and coffee. After dinner, we all returned to La Quinta to chat. When I looked for coffee there was none. Nor was there any fruit or cookies. I was told that if I wanted coffee I would have to go back over to the Hilton! Guess my La Quinta rewards membership was a waste of time. I'm leave the card in the trash cause I won't be staying at La Quinta anymore.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends